Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 07 20 Catalina fishing with no live bait [with pics]

Default 07 20 Catalina fishing with no live bait [with pics]

Hi again.. Third fishing trip this week =)

we launched the boat at about 4:30 .. and arrived Catalina at about 5:30 ish ..
    whats the best way to start a good fishing day? YES! no live bait at catalina =(

we circled around Catalina , visited every Squid boat but they all ran out or told us they didnt catch anyso we were like.. omg ... luckily we had some frozen squid for chumpin', and we used them for the whole day

the WSB spot had about 20+ boats fishing already when we arrived so we decided to go shallower , 2 people made some live bait on that spot (smelt and spainish mack) , me and my friend fished the bottom and we got a lot of yellow croacker, then we hit the east side of the island , 2 people fly line for yellows and 2 of us fish for bottom

at this spot, i got my first legal sheephead finally! then followed by lots of small sheephead and some legal ones

we headed back to the WSB spot to fish again.. nothing happened, fished the east side again, everything stopped
    biting.. then the wind started kicking, gusting about 15knots ish , so the capt decided to head back earlier

we expected a very rough ride due to the wind but it ended up ok, spent about 50mins back to seal beach ,

then we greeted by DFG guy and measured our fish at the dock

fishing was slow and it started off with no live bait but i got my first legal sheephead so im very happy =)

Hopefully better luck next time

Thanks for readin'

The DFG dude

Sweet and sour Sheephead

What????????? no vegies?

J/K, very nice job on the sheephead.

wow, that looks good!

Nice. Food looks very delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by brianw View Post
    the WSB spot had about 20+ boats fishing already when we arrived so we decided to go shallower
    How pathetically sad is that. You cant even go to the bathroom here in California without 20+ people "in your shorts" with you!

Way to get on some fish.

Congrat's on your first leagal sheepshead. Squid has been tough lately to come by. Just can't seem to get enough squid to float and make a good set for the squid boats. And if the boat does make a good haul, it sells fast. Then again normally this time of year the squid are gone already. Looks like you guys had a mighty fine dinner.

Hi brianw,

Very nice report !! Appreciate the effort !!

JapanRon

Nice job on all the sheephead.

WTG! Nice catch... Food looks very good

T9

congrats brian! dinner looks mighty good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast