Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Long Island Sound Blue Fish

Default Long Island Sound Blue Fish

Went back east to visit the family last week. My brother had the great idea to charter a boat for 4 hours to fish. I lived in Connecticut for 18 years and never fished once in Long Island Sound, so I was ALL over the idea!

We caught 8 Blue fish total trolling spoons and black and red rubber tubes. About 14 inches in length with a 2 ounce weight at the head and a single hook in the back. It was an interesting set up to me being a fresh water guy and all. I guess they Blues think they are eels

I caught the biggest at 8.6 pounds. 3 total for me. They guys even put some pics of us on their my space page.

http://www.myspace.com/deborahannfishingcharters

If you are ever in the area check these guys out. It was a blast. I think a guy just caught a 28 pound striper this weekend on this boat.

We BBQ'd the fish that night. They are not such a great eating fish. Very dark fishy meat. The cheeks are good deep fried though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bluefish.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	5304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluefish2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	5305  

Yea bluefish are known for the fighting abilities, but have a bad reputation for table quality. Looks like you got into some decent bluefishing and thanks for sharing. Pokerface

Lakewood / Long Beach, CA (originally from NJ)

Blue fish rock
    Growing up in jersey we had a great time with em

The secret , as I was told, is to take your time filleting it.
    There is an oily sac, right behind the gills that most people slice right through.
    This is was gives the fish a bad rep.
    or so I've been told

Awesome report! In the early 90's I spent some extended time in NYC with the Feds and rent-a-rodded quite a bit out of Sheepshead Bay. Steel leaders & chunk bait right outside of the harbor. With no limits (don't if that's the case anymore) I used to come back with loads and loads of them. My fishing buddy, a puerto rican, used to bake them with "Goya seasoning" and a crapload of onions and tomatoes....excellent stuff! Brings back long lost memories....

Thanks for the report and congrats on your catch.:cool:

TM65