Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week In Review Pictures

Nice job out there Art. It looks like your clients really enjoyed themselves based on the smiles displayed in all of their pictures. At the end of the day fishing is supposed to be fun and obviously that is what each of your clients experienced and hopefully it results in them supporting the future of fishing for generations to come. From the time you greet them on the water, net their first fish, take their picture, serve them lunch and then wish them well you do nothing but make sure they have a great experience. I don't think I've ever experienced a 50+ fish day on Largemouth personally so I can identify with the joy your customers felt.

Sidney "Skildfisher" in an ideal world every fishery would consistently produce fish with growth rates as jaw dropping as DVL. However the uniqueness of lakes, ponds, rivers and oceans across the world provide us all with different angling opportunities. Everybody has their own favorite species to target, ways to catch them and places to fish. At the end of the day if you had fun fishing then that's what’s important. If there weren't lakes that produced fantastic #'s and offered something different on a global level, even when less than 30 minutes from one another then the fishing industry would suffer. Then there wouldn't be a market or need for beautiful creations like the Huddleston, Triple Trout, 3:16 baits, or huge plastic worms for which you choose to use to pursue your favorite species with. That's just something I like to think about when I listen to others share their favorite fishing moments and species.

Just my 2 cents...
    Last edited by Largemouth_Mitch; 07-07-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Largemouth_Mitch View Post
    Sidney "Skildfisher" in an ideal world every fishery would consistently produce fish with growth rates as jaw dropping as DVL. However the uniqueness of lakes, ponds, rivers and oceans across the world provide us all with different angling opportunities. Everybody has their own favorite species to target, ways to catch them and places to fish. At the end of the day if you had fun fishing then that's what’s important. If there weren't lakes that produced fantastic #'s and offered something different on a global level even when less than 30 minutes from one another then the fishing industry would suffer. Then there wouldn't be a market or need for beautiful creations like the Huddleston, Triple Trout, 3:16 baits, or huge plastic worms for which you choose to use to pursue your favorite species with. That's just something I like to think about when I listen to others share their favorite fishing moments and species.

Just my 2 cents...
    Mitch no one made any observation or comment to the regard that all lakes should have DVLs gold standard growth rates. That’s not the point and unrealistic. I was just pointing out the fact that vail is sub-par quality wise in comparison to almost all other lakes in s0-cal. In an ideal world, every lake with bass would be stocked with trout, in an ideal world we could fish our favorite lake and bag 40-60lbs every time. In an ideal word everyone would live in peace, and? Realistic? of course not.

I could recognize the fact every individual has their own favorite species to target and ways to catch them, places to fish etc. But I was also just being straightforward with my first hand experience at the vail. Factually the large majority of all lakes here in s0-cal are not what vail is, in that they're open to the public and aren't chocked full of starving bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Largemouth_Mitch View Post
    If there weren't lakes that produced fantastic #'s and offered something different on a global level even when less than 30 minutes from one another then the fishing industry would suffer. Then there wouldn't be a market or need for beautiful creations like the Huddleston, Triple Trout, 3:16 baits, or huge plastic worms for which you choose to use to pursue your favorite species with. That's just something I like to think about when I listen to others share their favorite fishing moments and species.
    first sentence-Yes the fishing industry would suffer. Second sentence- I disagree... ponds full of starving bass have nothing to do with the lures you just mentioned or the market for them. Third sentence-cool deal, but like I said, I only relayed my experience with the lake when one-leg inquired about it.

Its pretty simple dude.... vail doesn't get 1% of the pressure that almost all other lakes here in so-cal get. Its full of a lot of very hungry bass that don't seem to be in the least discriminant about what they eat.

I do agree with you on that though Mitch, fishing is all about fun and if your having it then thats all that matters at the end of the day.
    /end thread.
    Last edited by skildfisher; 07-07-2008 at 01:42 PM.

nice work...great catches....both lakes...look like pretty healthy fish to me...
    Gary

fishing private waters is always better than fishing public water...especailly if the lake is not stocked with trout to feed the hungry fishies.

its a controlled atmosphere...easier to catch hungry fish than full fish/

I LOVE TO FISH MALIBUO LAKE In AGOURA HILLS....my favorite PRIVATE LAKE...

i wish i could fish DVL...my bass boat is a 2 stroke...oh well

Ill stick it out at castiac and piru...most of the biggest bass come from those waters anywayz...

NICE PICS THO...IF I CAN SAVE SOME MONEY I MIGHT GET ART TO TAKE ME OUT !!!
    (my dad is a vet...i think u have discounts for them.)

Those Are Some Nice Fish

Sweet pics. looks like fun. keep them comming

You fished it ONE time over a YEAR ago and can form these opinions as to the state of the lake conditions right now....man you are good.......

Quote Originally Posted by skildfisher View Post
    I fished it once about a year ago. It's Basically wideopen on everything you throw at them. I'm sure they'd eat hot dogs if you tried em. The lake is full of bass but catching a fish over 6lbs is rare and most of the ones you do catch look pretty emaciated.

I'm sure if they shocked it and eliminated a portion of the population + added a larger forage base the diversity and quality of the system would greatly improve.

Quote Originally Posted by goseango View Post
    You fished it ONE time over a YEAR ago and can form these opinions as to the state of the lake conditions right now....man you are good.......
    HAHAHA.... not even, My buddy has a friend who would invite him out there all the time till he gave up largemouth fishing and his results were very much like the ones I described above. That would be roughly a year and a half ago but judging by some recent reports it doesn't look like much has changed.

The proof is in the pudding... I see pics of bass that look, shall I say, hmmm... less than fit.

Have fun and remember... they'll still eat that worm regardless of how chewed up it is, or little of it is left.

This thread has motivated me to try and get one of those elusive vail pigs. I will definitely put catching one of those vail toads on my list of things to do. Looks like they are few and far between but if I manage to tackle it right and slam a toad FNN will be the first to hear about it.

Take care all.

This topic was not posted for the purpose of degrading people, or the fish they caught. I do not have a crystal ball that allows me to see the size, or shape of the fish that are to be caught.

My job is to put people on fish, and I do, but I can't seperate the small ones from the big ones. I have no control over the size of the fish that is about to be caught. I wish I did, but there's a limit as to my abilities as a guide.

The happy faces of the people who caught the fish sure don't look like they are unhappy with their catches at all. Try telling the big guy Mike that his 5.75# fish is a dink. I don't think that would go over to well.

Aside from a few fish, I would say that most are of good quality. Of course when you catch over 100 fish in a day, you are bound to get one or two that are small. It's the law of averages. Even DVL kicks out it's fair share of rats.

Speaking of rats, here is a photo of my friend Matt's Vail Lake runt. This was caught 2 weeks ago.

Thanks,

Art

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast