Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: June Lake Loop - Silver Lake.. Need Info??

Default June Lake Loop - Silver Lake.. Need Info??

HEading out to Silver Lake ( June Lake Loop ) on July 8th - 13th. Going with a bunch of friends etc. Any info on places or Baits people have used or know of anything that just kills the rainbows up there would be very helpful. I will be posting many pictures when I return. I have a few questions regarding weather etc.

Whats the weather like?
    Do peeps mostly use spinners up there or does Power Bait work as well?
    Anyone know of a HOT SPOT at Silver Lake?????

thanks for any advice etc

probably gunna have a chance of isolated thunderstorms everyday up there...the fish are shallow in the morning and evening...i got some stripping a woolie bugger in the morning but during the day they are deep, 20-40 feet...powerbait/worm combo slowly drifted around looked like the ticket...there are a lot of fish surface feeding on the cicada hatch going on right now but they are really only interested in cicadas, i threw every fly i owned at them for nada

i was also getting a ton of browns from 4-16" in the creek on caddis and hopper flies...crickets might be a good idea actaully now that i think about it, might entice some of the big fish hitting the surface on the lakes...and the browns in the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty6 View Post
    probably gunna have a chance of isolated thunderstorms everyday up there...the fish are shallow in the morning and evening...i got some stripping a woolie bugger in the morning but during the day they are deep, 20-40 feet...powerbait/worm combo slowly drifted around looked like the ticket...there are a lot of fish surface feeding on the cicada hatch going on right now but they are really only interested in cicadas, i threw every fly i owned at them for nada

we are renting a boat for 3 days so what do u think? Should we stay deep?

they were staying deep in june and gull last week when i was up there...i'd say its a good bet, but the best thing would be to ask the guys who work the tackle shop up there. this is was they told me: "If you are fishing the lake: stay deep. if you are fishing the creek: pray." most likely the creek will be fished out from the 4th so my guess would be to stick to the lake and more than likely to stay deep. when i was out kayaking on june, i got 1 trolling a bouyant shallow, and while doing that, i saw some people catch about 12-15 drifting a worm/powerbait about 20 feet down. i dont know how silver was going, but it cant be that much different from june and gull.

2lb line a must if you wants lots of hits. Half a night crawler dipped in some roe and just drift around the lake. Get to a spot and don't anchor and turn the motor off. That's what worked for us at Silver and Gull.
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by MAN VS WILD View Post
    2lb line a must if you wants lots of hits. Half a night crawler dipped in some roe and just drift around the lake. Get to a spot and don't anchor and turn the motor off. That's what worked for us at Silver and Gull.
    Good Luck

Dipped in ROE??? whats that

If I could only take one lure with me, it would be a Thomas Buoyant 1/6oz Red/Gold - hands down. I would also recomend 2 lb test for your reels. The lakes are very clear.

Check out www.noaa.gov Type in June Lake and read their weather report.. it's where 99% of all weather stations,websites,news channels get their info from. Happy fishing

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMY JAM View Post
    If I could only take one lure with me, it would be a Thomas Buoyant 1/6oz Red/Gold - hands down. I would also recomend 2 lb test for your reels. The lakes are very clear.
    Agreed, thomas bouyants are the best lure for the sierra by far. If you can find the tear drop shapped one ...get that one. They sell it at Sports Chalet. It weighs just as much as the bigger 1/6th ounce but is half the size.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast