Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Catalina skiff.. Monday

Default Catalina skiff.. Monday

Went to the Island and rented a skiff.. No pictures, but nothing was worthy of a photo..3 guys 4 calicos, 1 sheephead and 1 croaker.

I counted 1.4 million perch and that was just at our boat. How do you get past the perch?... and can you eat them?

Thanks

you can eat perch but they are bony and the meat get VERY soggy when cooking. Also, if you dont want perch, try plastics tipped off with squid.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDimasLMB
    you can eat perch but they are bony and the meat get VERY soggy when cooking. Also, if you dont want perch, try plastics tipped off with squid.
    dont put squid on your plastic if you dont want perch, all that will happen is that they perch will attack your plactic, eat all your squid, and quite possible get hooked.....most of the times, believe it or not, when the perch are active, the bass come out and play!! i fish bass with a 1/4 - 3/4 oz leadhead, a whole squid, and 12-15 lb test. when the perch are THICK, sometimes it will take awhile to get a bass....they way i fish bass at the island is i do the above, cast out, when i start feeling perch, i wait a few seconds, put the reel in gear, and wait!! bass will charge through the perch at your leadhead and squid, so when it "loads up" set the hook...you ll know the diff between the perch bites and a bass grabbing it..if you wanna fish straight plastics, i fish green whams, 1/8 - 1/4 oz yellow wham head (or cotee head), 8-12 lb test, cast it out (NO BAIT) and let it fall slowly...99% of the time, you will get hit on the sink, so pay attention!!! let it run for a SECOND and swing!!! have fun, hope this helps !! peace

sorry, on the leadhead, use a banana head in yellow or white, with a large hook..the good ones have nice hooks on them!!

THESE ARE THE BANANA HEADS....I USE THEM IN THIS COLOR, OR IN CHARTRUSE..THEY ARE ALSO EXCELLENT FOR WHITE SEABASS...I USE ANYWHERE FROM 1/4 OZ TO 1 1/2 OZ!!

THESE ARE THE WHAMS, OR BLAMS...MY GO TO COLOR 99% OF THE TIME IS THE GREEN, #6

AND THESE ARE THE WHAM HEADS, I USE THESE IN CHARTRUSE OR YELLOW...1/8 - 1/2 (MAJORITY OF THE TIME ITS 1/8 - 1/4)

HOPE THIS HELPS MAN!! PEACE!!