Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06/22/2008 First trip to san clemente island [few pics]

Default 06/22/2008 First trip to san clemente island [few pics]

06/22/2008 First trip to san clemente island

Here is my third fishing report
    So met a new friend last week and he said he has a boat .. then he asked me if i wanted to go to Catalina on Sunday and asked me to take a friend with me, within a second , I said YESSSSSSS

We gathered in seal beach at about 4ish, lauched the boat and off we went to Catalina..

We bought some Live squid over there ..

We cruised to the back side of the island then the captain decided we should go to san clemente island because of the nice weather. I was so excited since i been hearing YELLOWS and WSB biting hard there... so we were like YESSSSSSSSSS

The trip was shorter than i thought it would be, within an hour, we arrived San Clemente island then we cruised to the back side of the island and started fishing.. it was very very slow..Not even Cali or anything were biting at the surface.. so i switched fishing the bottoms, got some white fish and calico .. my friend did get a yellowtail bite but after fighting with it for a while, the YT decided to go for the kelp and he lost it.

After an hour , we switched to the front side of the island. Same with the last spot, no yellow no wsb and such.. so we headed back to back side of catalina.

Not sure what this is , please let me know the name of this fish =)
    But it sure did taste great

Then we went to the very west side of the island..
    Here is my first shephead =) its exactly 12inch but i decided to release it because i heard the fish will shrink about 0.5 inch after they die

We fish there for about an hour or so .. it was very wide open at the end, like once the bait hit the bottom, the fish will bite the bait in seconds

It took us 57mins from Catalina back to seal beach

The boat

The cali that a friend caught

The ice box

Had a good day altho the fishing was kinda slow and i aplogize for my crappy english grammar again.. i know i suck =) hope u guys can understand my report, hopefully i will get my first Yellow next time.

One question tho, does the water temperature realli effect the fish bite.. the water temp was 76F , i heard if the water is too cold, they stop biting, if it gets too hot, its the same?

And i would like to Thanks everyone helped me the buy the new setup and suggestion =) u guys are very very helpful indeed
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=19358

Quote Originally Posted by brianw View Post
    06/22/2008 First trip to san clemente island

Had a good day altho the fishing was kinda slow and i aplogize for my crappy english grammar again.. i know i suck =) hope u guys can understand my report, hopefully i will get my first Yellow next time.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=19358
    Looks like it was a great day of fishing to me when you have a cooler full of fish. That silver fish is a sargo I believe. Good luck on your yellowtail hunt. Dont worry bout the grammer either. Keep the reports coming.

awesome job man
    that fish you're holding is a Sargo

wtg on your catches man :cool:

hey good report man!! cool pics

hey dude, glad you decided to release the sheephead b'cuz you wanted it to live. Too bad you held it w/a towel - you just signed its death certificate.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by k3vin_kim View Post
    hey dude, glad you decided to release the sheephead b'cuz you wanted it to live. Too bad you held it w/a towel - you just signed its death certificate.

Peace.
    why?
    i didnt wanna hurt it so i used a towel...
    if it does something bad to the fish , i wont do it again

handling fish with a towel will result in removal of the slime coat on the fish, which will make them more susceptible to diseases and parasites. Additionally, a fish that is put through extensive amounts of stress will stop producing their slime coat, which will greatly decrease its chances of survival...so if you do plan on releasing a fish, make sure you give it the best care possible. I sometimes don't even bother taking pictures of fish that i plan to release...just to leave as little impact on the fish as possible.

on a lighter note...those are nice pics you got there! thanks for the report!

It looks like you were only seconds off from arriving in 57 minutes and 57 seconds?

Thanks for the report.

Next time you just might get that WSB or Yellow you are hoping for.

O_L

Quote Originally Posted by fish_sauce View Post
    handling fish with a towel will result in removal of the slime coat on the fish, which will make them more susceptible to diseases and parasites. Additionally, a fish that is put through extensive amounts of stress will stop producing their slime coat, which will greatly decrease its chances of survival...so if you do plan on releasing a fish, make sure you give it the best care possible. I sometimes don't even bother taking pictures of fish that i plan to release...just to leave as little impact on the fish as possible.

on a lighter note...those are nice pics you got there! thanks for the report!
    im still a newbie , learning a lot every trip
    Thanks for the head up , i will make sure it wont happen again =D

very nice thing to know.. didnt know that at all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast