Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yep, me too

Default Yep, me too

Yep me too.
    I'm working on an upgrade to the PlasticFantastic boat (14' Sears Gamefisher).
    I picked up a 1990 Tracker 17" deep V. It has spent most of it's life in the ocean.
    The trailer looks like crap, the fuel pump was leaking, the transome had about 8 holes in it.
    The oil in the lower end looks like it might have a little water in it too. Ther are a few other spots on the hull where the paint is boubling a little. The cover is also shot. Other than that it, looks great! After I pointed out it's issues to the owner, I walked away. The problem is he reduced the price from $2500 to $1500 so I had to come back
    I have spent about 5 hours to date mainly grinding the rust off the trailer. I found the bearings on the starbard side were crap on Monday. Good luck with your new project.
    I'm shooting for about 3 weeks, & $300 to water with this one. My Game fisher may be for sale in about 6 weeks. My current fleet is 5 boats! Topless, Pastic-Fantastic, my yak, a 6' blow-boat, and my new project boat Lose Change. The little GameFisher has been a major Strpier killer
    boyz.

I'm still eating dust over here. I thing I have about 3 more hours of it. The 40HP Johson has a few issues as well. It will run as log as you keep squeezing the bulb. I noted on my original inspection that the VRO pump was leaking gas. I pulled the gas line on the tp of it and the gas pump seems to be working OK, b ut the bulb does not stay hard. Originally you could see the fuel level dropping in the filter as the engine ran. Such fun! ALso the motor will not tilt. I spoke to Ray, he said it's been broken for years. There should be some type of cable attached to a plastic lever. How can I tilt it to get at the parts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lose Change 1.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	4672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6110779.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	4677  
    Last edited by karlow; 06-20-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Getting a little closer now. The trailer is largely done now. I'm waiting for the bearings and seals to arrive. After work, I will fix the trailer wiring. I can't reach the center rollers Maybe after the wheels are back on I will be able to use a jack to get them. Then she will be rust free. The motor is another thing. It seems to run on spray only on the top cyl. I pulled the fuel pump off and took it apart & it seems OK now. I put my pressure gage on it, and it holds 4psig. Next, I will pull the cabs aoart and clean them up. That should do it. That is if the water pump works! At lest my other boats work!

Impressive, and roomy too.

Looking forward to seeing it on the water any day now!

Looks like a nice fishing hull. Congrats on the new ride. You'll stop tasting the sanding dust as soon as you launch that bad boy.

dude, nice maching you got there...

nice hole,i meant project...LOL J/K
    Projects are a lot of work!Try anything to fix your motor up and give it a full tune-up...change anode and a lot more stuff to drop cash in...What are you gonna fix the 8 holes with?Try "mighty putty" it worked on a leaky aluminum boat i had a while ago...

Looks clean, good luck with the project, it will be worth it in the end.

Default Update

The holes were the easy part. First I clean them up with simple green, salt away, and viniger. Then you use a fill to scrap the aluminum oxide layers away. After that I stuffed some open cell foam in the holes. Hit it with a tourch to leave a concave surface. Then I mixed up some epoxy (similar to JB_Weld). I worked it in realy well, and covered it with clear shipping tape untill cured. That was maybe about an hours work.
    On Monday, my bearings arrived, so now the wheels are back on. No more jack stands. I Fixed the trailer wiring on the port side. After work I will replace the connector plug. Next, i will tare into the carbs. I'm not sure the water pump is working right. Ray offered to start it w/o attaching the hose. That's not a good sign.

Anode, what anode! if this pig had a Fing anode it would not have holes in it! I have not even found a place where it should have been. The trim tab is plastc not zink.

PS, I don't always eat dust over here. On Friday I took my big boat Topless to Catalina and did my first overnight. You can see the fish report on Allcost, or Bloody decks. It was quite the adventure.

KP
    Getherdone, Those stripies are calling me!
    Last edited by karlow; 06-24-2008 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karlow View Post
    On Friday I took my big boat Topless to Catalina and did my first overnight.
    Is "Topless" a SkipJack like the one witness said he thought it was?

O_L

P.S. I like to kill stripers too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast