Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oahu Tropical Fishing

Default Oahu Tropical Fishing

Well I managed to get one full day of fishing in on vacation in oahu. Woke up at about six and walked out to the first stop. A rock jetty right behind our hotel, the illkai.

Started off throwing the aurora black lc 110. Casted for about an hour for nothing. Look to my left and see three very large fish cruisin next to the reefs. Id say atleast 10 pounders. They had a very bluish neon color on the top of their bodies. Im thinkin blue trevally. Chucked the lc ten feet in front of them and twitch twitch and one just launches at the lc and trys to send it to pluto. I completely froze for like 5 seconds. I was just shocked to see everything happening exactly how ive been picturing it for the last month waiting for this day. The fish pretty much hooked itself and the fight begins. He pretty much owned me. My 12 pound flouro leader on my telescope rod wasnt enough. This fish was powerful. Id compare it to a shallow water yellowtail. Just awesome power. I couldnt turn him at all. He peeled out line for quite some time and broke me off on the coral. LC down the drain but worth every penny just to see that fish hit the lure.

Time to retie and try again. Cast for another two hours and its almost time to go to the next spot. I turn around to leave and look to my left and a lone jack cruisin the deep channel. Cast right on top of him and he spooks. Takes off ten yards and stops. I try to cast again but the wind blows the lc way off. Lands about 20 feet away. I reel in really fast to get another cast and this triggers the jack. He just hammers my lc and im on. He starts peelin line out and then nothing. He shakes the lc off. Great. End up spending another hour there and finally decide to leave.

Walking back I check out the ale wai channel and see tons of tilapia. These things were everywhere. Also saw a giant puffer fish. Looked to be about ten pounds or so. I never knew they got that big.

Got back to the hotel a little late and got an earful from the wife. Take a look outside our window and see this. It gets the wife to stop chewin me out for being back so late.

Go downstairs and pick up our rental car and head to north shore. We stopped at a couple beaches and found one full of turtles. Heres a couple pics but kinda hard to see them. They were shy i guess.

Movin on we find an isolated beach. I look over this wall and theres tons of tropical fish down in the coral. Decided to try the gulp and good choice. The fish were goin nuts over it. Only problem was they couldnt fit the gulp in their mouths. Caught a few different fish though.

Wife finally got tired of watching me fish so we went looking for something to do. Ended up doing this.

Well thats all the fishing I did. I might need a bigger rod next time. Comon next june. Cant wait to go back. We are gonna do the smaller island this time. Heard lots more fish there. Heres a few random pics of oahu and me and the wife.

Nice pics. I was just at Oahu a few month's back. I see you went to the Paradise Cove Luau too. Thanks for sharing.

Exclamation

Very cool photos!

I dig the pic of what looks like a juvenile red goatfish (maybe a whitesaddle without the spot yet developed?).... COOL!

Thanks for sharing!. Looks like a great time.. I gotta get back there soon!

Very nice Liteliner! Way to get on the fish. Those are some great pics.

Japo

Nice!

Looks like a great trip!

Cool report. Those pictures brought back memories of my honeymoon (although that was in Maui and not Oahu).

Thanks for sharing!!!

Aswome pics! Gotta love Hawaii! I fished a little bit when i was there a couple years ago and could only catch a lil buttterfly. Sounds like a fun trip glad u got to fish on ur vaca

Great trip!
    Awesome that you found time to do a little fishing....too.
    SCG7

Smile

I woulda gotten myself some heavier gear and got back out there. ;)
    Too bad about losing some of those big boys.
    Beautiful vacation, thanks for sharing. :cool:

thats good u got to fish some out there homie. yea u need heavier set-ups for sure out there with what u can come up on. glad u had a blast out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast