Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Sierra Slam!!! 6-7-08

Great pictures and good job on the slam!

The sierra slam I know of, doesn't include the cutt's so great job!

Not too sure where the fire restrictions are but two hikes I would reccommend are either the Lil Lakes Valley above Rock Creek or the 20 lakes basin on the back side of Saddlebag! Both are awesome hikes and lots of fishing to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHuck View Post
    Great pictures and good job on the slam!

The sierra slam I know of, doesn't include the cutt's so great job!

Not too sure where the fire restrictions are but two hikes I would reccommend are either the Lil Lakes Valley above Rock Creek or the 20 lakes basin on the back side of Saddlebag! Both are awesome hikes and lots of fishing to boot!
    We are headed back up in about 2 hours. We are going to scout little lakes valley out of rock creek. Should be there around midnight, and back around midnight saturday. Full report can be expected on fathers day.

Quote Originally Posted by dockboy View Post
    Nice fish and good trip. Sorry to hear about the golden, sometimes it happens. Too bad he was a bigger fish, but sometimes it just goes that way. Just for your knowledge, try and cut the line as close to the hook as possible. If you use a smaller hook and debarb it, it pays off. Try barbless when you want to release fish. If you can't get it out or you can't see the hook, put the fish back in the water and let it revive itself a bit. Then get it back up and cut it as close as possible. Put the fish back gently and move him back and forth in the water for a few seconds. This gets the water moving through the gills and revives the fish quicker. Let him swim out on his own. The hook will rust out or be digested within a month. The fish can usually still eat with a hook in their tongue or mouth. Another thing with releasing fish is to never touch the gill structure. The gills are fragile and will rupture if touched to hard or exposed too long. Thats why you should never put your finger in a fish gill if you want to release them. I've heard the goldens tasted excellent, but I never keep'em. Accidents happen dude. Like I said, cutting the line close and just getting them back in the water will help, this applies to just about any kind of fishing btw. In any case, great trip and I hope you guys had a lot of fun. I'm going up myself here Friday, I'll get pics and post if possible.

Dockboy very good advice. I have seen way to many people using those red hook removers stuffed down a trouts mouth and then releasing them thinking they will live. Like you said cut the line as close as you can and gently release them to live another day.

Great pics and report....Seems something is wrong with the last picture....

There isn't 6 feet of green sludgy moss....
    Heading up to Parchers next week, your report was a nice preview...

SCG7

Quote Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
    Cool, I have also been fishing the sierras for over 20 years and a sierra slam has always been 4 species in one day. Go figure.

Thanks for the heads up on Convict.
    4 fish Sierra slam 5 fish a dream of a lifetime

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123