Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Places on the way to Bishop

Default Places on the way to Bishop

We're going to the Sierra's event and driving from the Riverside area.

We were thinking of trying to find a cool place to stay on the way up to
    Bishop.
    To stay somewhere with a little altitude, to make the adjustment easier..

SCG7

If you could pick one place close to South Lake that has nice rooms and close to fishing what would it be?
    Last edited by SoCalGuy7; 06-09-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Unless you take one of the roads west from 395 up into the mountains, you won't find any altitude. 395 runs along the valley and never gets much elevation until you pass Bishop.

A fairly lengthy side trip off of 395 could be to Kennedy Meadows, about 50 mile round trip from 395 and back, just past Ridgecrest. A pretty desolate road takes you up into the high country. The road is a singed turnoff to the west for Kennedy Meadows and you can access part of the Kern from there. If you get a good map there's other fishing opportunities too.

On a different note, were you at BPS yesterday, Sunday? I saw a guy and gal (who I thought were you and your fishing gal) in the fly shop. I thought I recognized you from pics on this board.

Thanks, that's kinda why I posted....I'm not really seeing anything too great along 395....I'll check Kennedy Meadows online....

Yes, we were at BPS yesterday...Damn, I almost wore my FNN shirt too.....
    Would have been cool to meet you....next time.
    Thanks again.

Exclamation

socal7... what day you headed up?.......... me and a few others may stop in Lone Pine for breakfast.......

Probably Wednesday ......Looking for a place on the way to aclimate..

You won't be fully acclimated anyways until Sunday. If you're worried about altitude sickness, I would recommend that you go up Bishop Creek and fish on Wednesday, then head back down to Bishop for the night and check in to Parchers on Thursday. Don't matter how you do it, you will still get winded the first day or two. As long as you don't push yourself to do anything to strenuous the first day or two you'll be fine.;)

It's more for my daughter....I don't need any drama-headaches...

Thanks everyone, maybe we'll just head straight up...

a good place to eat is jacks in bishop. besides that i know that they have been remodeling a couple of the hotels in bishop. as far as alt. i agree with everyone else not going to find much. also stop at that jerky place off the 395!! hopefully they have some better looking jerky this time around.

Cal

i'll be up there from the 19th-23rd of June

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGuy7 View Post
    It's more for my daughter....I don't need any drama-headaches...

Thanks everyone, maybe we'll just head straight up...
    How old is your daughter? Our kids always acclimated faster than we did. Don't push any kind of hiking activities the first day up at Parchers and she will be fine. ;)

Unless you're fishing above Mammoth or doing a back country hike up, I wouldn't worry about the altitude. Bishop and the surrounding area is only about 5000'. Altitude sickness rarely affects people below the 8000' foot range or so, which is the high country. In any case, a day or to at South Lake or any of the other mountain lakes up there should help if you do go into the high country. Most people in SoCal live below the 1500' level and a majority of that is below 1000'. I'm at 4500' on the north face of the San gabriels, so I really don't have as many problems with altitude as many others around here do. Even still, hiking the higher elevations can be dangerous if you aren't used to it, so be careful if you are doing some backcounty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast