Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Customize Flukes For A Better Presentation & Hook Up Ratio

Default How To Customize Flukes For A Better Presentation & Hook Up Ratio

In my quest to catch and conquer a duct striper i thought to myself, with as much pressure the duct receives, i need to change it up a bit.
    As i continue to collect and prepare my gear for missions to come i decided to start modifying flukes for different presentations,actions & look of the bait.
    The first thing i notice is no pectoral fins so that's where i start by cutting the side of the belly into a small fin shape and then proceed bending the new
    pectoral fins towards the head while introducing some heat to them with a lighter or small torch, then instantly cooling the whole bait in cold water,
    This is to give the plastic a partial memory and hold the fins out from the body for a realistic look that makes the bait look incredible while in action.
    Next was a little more tail action by extending the split up 1inch as equal as possible and then folding them towards the head then torch and cool.
    This really made the tail action wake up and also possibly increasing hook ups by opening up the hook bite zone or revealing it more with less tail spine.
    Here are a few example's of the new fluke with pectoral fins and split tails.

Next thing i thought of was the tail bitters also known as short bite's, and thinking of how far the duct is from my house, i want to make sure
    i can land as many fish as i can while there because nothing's worse than going home with a skunk and story's of short bite's. From here i start
    to explore ways to set up some trailer hooks without sacrificing the action of the fluke. First i set up a treble hook stinger, rigging it by running the
    leadhead hook through the head of the body, down by the slit & up through the treble hooks eyelet, meanwhile aligning one hook up through rear
    of the body with two hooks hanging below where the anal fins usually are ready for battle with that bottom lip.
    The treble hook is held on the shank with a rubberized loop or vinyl coated eyelet that you can purchase or make yourself.
    Here are a few example's of the mid body treble stinger hook set up.

The treble hook set up will increase partial short bite's but not the tail grabbers and that is where the single stinger hook come's into play,
    this set up is most likely to improve your catch ratio while targeting striper's with flukes and its as easy and running a needle through the rear
    of the fluke and tying it off to the shank of the hook with your knot of choice or you can use the method mentioned above requiring a vinyl or
    rubberized eyelet covers. I prefer small wire hooks that wont decrease the action of the tail, but still hold up to there bony jaw and shear strength.
    Here are a few example's of a single tail hook stinger set up.

In this pic you notice the fluke is upside down, Well this actually gives it an amazing action that almost forces the bait down with every twitch.
    I am new to the striper game & just discovered this but there are some originators of what has been called "The Gina Jig" named by the 1& only bako boys, credit is due to.

I also tried using a solid stinger hook set up shown here but wasn't happy with how much action was affected so i opted not to use this set up for now.

With these small modifications done to the flukes it will increase your catch ratio by not just action& look but by secret treble & single hook stingers.
    I hope you enjoyed the write up and you can be sure i will be posting up results of these modified fluke's slaying spree.
    Wish me luck,
    Fishbones aka Alex

Cool stuff right there F/B,,,,,,,,,,,,NICE!!!!!

In my opinion here,s what seperates a fluke from a tube or gitzit,,,,,,THE FALL!!

The fluke will almost always fall on a spiral,,never straight up and down like a reg jig or tube

Thats what makes,m so deadly,,i noticed that you was able to get the j/head exactly centerd on those flukes,,,

Try just quickly riging one up and notice how it,l be slightly crooked on the hook,,,,,THATS THE SECRET i promise!,,,,,,,,,makes,m fall eradicly,,,,,,THEY CANT STAND IT.

That little tidbit,,,,,,along with your mods and no jailbird will ever be safe again.

The fins look good.

I could have used a trailer hook yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    Cool stuff right there F/B,,,,,,,,,,,,NICE!!!!!
    In my opinion here,s what seperates a fluke from a tube or gitzit,,,,,,THE FALL!!
    The fluke will almost always fall on a spiral,,never straight up and down like a reg jig or tube
    Thats what makes,m so deadly,,i noticed that you was able to get the j/head exactly centerd on those flukes,,,
    Try just quickly riging one up and notice how it,l be slightly crooked on the hook,,,,,THATS THE SECRET i promise!,,,,,,,,,makes,m fall erratically,,,,,,THEY CANT STAND IT.
    That little tidbit,,,,,,along with your mods and no jailbird will ever be safe again.
    Thanks trail blazer, i have some prototype fluke's i'm working on to resemble a sculpin, a little more pectoral fin & caudal fin work and there done.
    The fluke spin you mention is the key you say, and that gives me more idea's on modifying and R&D to this killer bait for more erraticness.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    The fins look good.
    I could have used a trailer hook yesterday.
    Thanks Ron, The fins are are a nice mod, but trailer hook is a must.

ill be waiting to see how those work out.
    Last edited by dk4885; 02-17-2013 at 08:03 PM.

FishBones: Maybe if you got your *** on the water more and played less Build-a-Lure...you might catch some fish...Nice write up bro...I'm definitely going to try customizing my flukes...or just steal yours...

Short strikes=dinks

no sweat

Quote Originally Posted by dk4885 View Post
    ill be waiting to see how those work out. i no i made one up with a trailer thinking of using im loosing to many to short strikes.
    thanks dk, no pressure.lol..im sure with the tail stinger it will increase your catch ratio,,,, wait a minute,, you dont need that.lol
    keep up the slay and save a few for me when i finally get up there and do more R&D. aka the skunk

Quote Originally Posted by Techtito View Post
    FishBones: Maybe if you got your *** on the water more and played less Build-a-Lure...you might catch some fish...Nice write up bro...I'm definitely going to try customizing my flukes...or just steal yours...
    you stay away from my gear mr. lose-a-leadhead..lol to build a lure..haha..maybe i'll make a few extra.....maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Short strikes=dinks
    no sweat
    Im with you cutbait, but when i havn't even made it on the board yet i'll take what i can get...i've been reading up on your flukebiki set up..very nice
    Last edited by Fishbones; 02-10-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Default More Fluke Mods

Here's a few more fluke's i've done some modifying to and plan to test at the duct. Some will work, some will fail its all about R&D.

The first one is simple and effective, its a rattle that slides on the shank of the hook.

The second two are for flash and vibration towards the lateral line organ...i think these will work great..

These two are hybrids and might possibly do some damage as well.
    This is the fluke jig

This is the chatter fluke

In the works is the sculpin fluke.

I likely
    Keep em coming. I need all the help I can get this time of year.

WWO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast