Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Abalone Slaying with One-Leg 6-5

Fifteen minutes tops!!!

I hope.

I might go fishing tonight so I got to get it done quick.

Hold on a sec.

O_L

Here is where we dove for our Abs.

More to follow shortly.

Laguna Point, Mendocino County, CA

Quote Originally Posted by barbiegirl View Post
    You guys went all the way down there for rocks? I'm joking, but they look like rocks. Beeeautiful pics and nice report, although I don't believe the part about Alan doing all the talking, I can barely get him to say a word. Sometimes I forget he's even in the car. Or maybe its just me zoning him out. :)
    Barbie, we both nearly lost our voices from talking continously for nearly 10 hours straight.
    I still have a slight rasp. But I have a full belly. :cool:

One_Leg

THE SECRET SPOT , lol . The only reason for bringing you along is to learn your secret ways with the pics and computer stuff , ha You just amazed me on how you climbed all over those rocks and cliffs and slippery kelp Otter-Leg . Lets GO BACK ,lol

Quote Originally Posted by diamondbear View Post
    THE SECRET SPOT , lol . The only reason for bringing you along is to learn your secret ways with the pics and computer stuff , ha You just amazed me on how you climbed all over those rocks and cliffs and slippery kelp Otter-Leg . Lets GO BACK ,lol
    I think we need some other FNN'ers who hate eating abalone but like to pluck them to join us.
    We could always use some extra sherpas.....lol
    We'll eat their Abs so they don't go to waste......:cool:

Abalone diving is tons of fun!!! Just being able to dive in waters infested with great white sharks is worth the effort.
    Only 13 divers died last year up there while hunting Abs.
    Come on you wussies, grow a hair and head up north!!!
    It's totally worth the trip. Beautiful scenery in that part of the country.

Its true I hear about the loss of life on the North Coast chasing Abalone , BUT ITS NOT FROM SHARKS , ha Its way to easy in an inviroment of snorkling around and its like an easter egg hunt really . The campgrounds are clean and hot water showers [ only for girls and wussies ] arrggg. In the evenings in the campgrouds it sounds like a big woodpecker invasion at all the familys pounding there abalone for a breaded garlic butter dinner . In Fort Bragg theres a Narrow Guage railway that runs up into the local mountains and coastal cyns. along the rivers were the redwoods grow , bed and breakfast [ again for the wussies ] Many cyns. that have fern and redwood tree grows are cool places to go on a easy hike . We need to get people from the FNN whos interested to come up with us and try there luck WITH THE SHARKS , lol

this is my first post from my new phone.

It is really fantastic up there.
    you can rent all neccessary gear for $35 at the sub surface progressions divecenter.

I'm down for another trip.
    I almost od'd on abalone tonight...........LOL

I forgot to post the pics last night so I added a thread of my own.
    Here is the link to that thread. Not like there are too many of these threads around here these days, ya know what I mean? ;)

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...859#post199859

Here is the stuff from that thread so you don't have to go there and read it too.

Here is the cove where Diamondbear and myself dove for our abalone. MacKerricher State Park in Mendocino County.

Steve just prior to our rappelling down the cliff. Next time maybe we should just toss the weights down there?.....lol.....j/k

The weather was perfect up there with sunshine all day on Wednesday and Thursday.
    Friday saw the clouds come in right about the time we were leaving. We left around 1600 hours.

Here I am just prior to getting it all wet for the first time in nearly 12 years.

We didn't take many u/w shots because of the particulates in the water due to the surge.
    The abalone were thick up there. Nothing like the sparse populations down south.
    I used to feel lucky when I'd find a rock with one legal and a bunch of empty scars on it.
    A scar is the depression left by an abalone from years of living in the same spot.
    We slipped in right between two periods of pretty rough weather.
    Friday and Saturday there were supposed to be gale force winds.

The yellow straps are part of a harness I need to wear to hold my weight belt in position.
    The belt had slipped off wwhen this pic was snapped. I need to get a custom suit made now.
    The extra bouyancy required me to wear 20 lbs. of lead to get down. I think I could have gotten by with 18.

Diamondbear using his ab iron to gauge how much bigger than the minimum size.
    Although the abs up there were huge you still need to measure them before you pluck them off the rocks.
    Abalone are hemephiliacs and will die if you tear their skin while removing them.
    If you hold an abalone up to its scar it will try to reattach itself to the rock.
    It takes about a minute or two sometimes to reattach an abalone after removing it.
    You should always measure an abalone prior to popping it off the rocks to be sure it is legal.
    Just to be clear on this matter, Diamondbear had measured all of his abalone prior to removing them.
    In the pic above he was measuring it to actually determine how much larger than 7" it really was.

They were a LOT BIGGER!!! Thanks for the choice spot Steve.:cool:

The DFG reporting requirements are very strict now in order to make it much harder for the poachers.
    Here is Steves Abalone report card prior to his filling it out.

This nice gal checked our Abalone within minutes of our scaling the cliffside.
    She was real nice. Very polite and helpful. And armed to the teeth too......LOL. I like that in a woman.

The daily bag and possession limit for abalone is 3. Here are both of our limits.

I am seriously considering moving up there to do a little gardening, ranching, and hunting.
    They got it all up there, including the nicest people on earth. We saw lots of deer on this trip.

Thanks for reading my report. I hope you liked the pics. Next time I'll make sure to get a lot more for you.

I rented all the gear I needed to safely complete my dive at Sub-Surface Progressions dive center.

Great store with extra helpful staff.

abalONE_LEG
    Last edited by one_leg; 06-08-2008 at 07:25 AM.

Great report guys. I don't know if I've ever seen an abalone report on FNN. ;)

I'm not afraid of sharks, but sea lions really scare me .

Where is the video?

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Fish View Post
    Great report guys. I don't know if I've ever seen an abalone report on FNN. ;)

I'm not afraid of sharks, but sea lions really scare me .

Where is the video?
    I look a lot like a sealion nowadays. I think that is why Steve dragged me along?

The video is gonna take a lil time. I need to get onto the other 'puter and that is not gonna be easy.
    People just sit there in front of it and play Solitaire. Jeeez already. Gosh!!!

Today Granny, later today for sure.

Thanks for your help with that too.

O_L

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast