Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ABALONE DIVING - MENDOCINO CO. 5/19

Default ABALONE DIVING - MENDOCINO CO. 5/19

I left yucaipa for a one way 10 hour drive [ 604 miles ] to Fort Bragg in Mendocino Co. [ three hour drive north of san francisco ] it was a low tide weekend [ -1.4 at 8:00 in the morn. ] on the north coast and the water was reported to be pretty calm and flat this diving weekend , it turned out to be the second best water conditions ive ever dove in , water vis. at about 15 ft. and even better at high tide [ 20-25 ft. ] no waves or surge just Abalone everywhere . water temp. was a little cool at 49 deg. but a 2 peice 7 mm wet suit kept me warm. alot of rock pickers working the shallows for smaller abs. but i was diving on the outer reef at laguna point in about 15-20 ft. [ deeper water bigger abs. ] at MACKERRICHER State Park . great park , at water edge , hot water showers [ for the girls of course ] clean rest rooms and camping along the forest . Fort Bragg has all kinda stuff to see and do between diving , alot of family orinated activities . i got my limit of abs [ 3 ] in just minutes as ive been here before , but just floated and kicked around to see where the abs are hiding . // db

a 29 year old guy drowned here in 2003 diving for abalone

my limit of three [ 24 yearly ] 2 @ 9 .25 and 1 @ 8.25 [img]http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/IMG_0250_1_1_1.JPG[/img

quess what iam having for dinner tonight / fried breaded abalone steaks in garlic butter , yum . iam going next month again , pm me if you like cold water /// db

Default reply

my limit of abs.

NEVER HAD AB STEAKS BUT I'LL TRY THEM NEXT TIME I SEE THEM ON THE MENU > CHEERS AND NICE REPORT

Default reply

DP , its going to be hard to find abalone on anyones menu , about 8-10 years ago the commerical take of abs were outlawed and only sport taking of abs is allowed and only in water north of san fran. and only breath holding , no scuba . some rest. do import from other countries and there are also a few ab farms that also sell to rest. diving for abs up north is a big deal to alot of people not only for the taste but also its fun and easy // db

abalone steaks are good, yum

Thats one hell of a trip for just 3 Abalone a person. You are die hards. LOL.

I think there is great white sharks up there too.

Back in the day you could find abalone shells everywhere. Swapmeets , garage sales etc. You just don't see that anymore. If 10 yrs ago you got to order it it was Big $$$

Thanks for the report and the pics. Outstanding!!!

Default reply

Troutman , from the inland empire to say sanoma co. , its only a 8 hr. drive . i like going 2 hrs. more you get a better choice on dive spots up in mendocino co. i grew up watching my older brother getting abs from the pal. verd. pen. 35 yrs. ago , but now you have to go north for them . there are sharks up there and in the last 4 years theres been two shark fatalities , but i really try not to think to much about it when iam out in the deeper water away from shore and with seals up on the rocks looking down at that dummy in the water ,lol but theres plenty of abs in the shallow water and once you go after these abalone and then taste them ,your hooked man ,lol // db

Diamandbear, Thanks for the reply.

The Great white Sharks are looking for a Tasty meal too. Hope it's not you!!!!

I have seen what must be farmed raised Abalone in the Asian markets. Never tried them. They are really small.

May the fishing gods protect you from them sharks when you dive.

TM65

never had 'em what they taste like and what are they like clams?

wow great report...used to eat abs alot when I was a kid........they taste great......... .haven't seen any in many years

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast