Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OFG, Grandpa and Granny Go To The Sierras

Default OFG, Grandpa and Granny Go To The Sierras

I want to begin by saying thank you to Jared and his bothers for welcoming us and making us comfortable. I can't wait to get back up to Parchers in three more weeks!

What a blast! We arrived Thursday night around 9PM and checked into our cabin so excited we could barely go to sleep. It was about 42 degrees when we arrived and we awoke to frost in the morning. A quick breakfast and off we went to South Lake for some fishing.

It was a little nippy at about 45 degrees and breezy, but the sun was strong and we forgot the sunscreen. The water was icy cold and so were the fish which made them a little lethargic and not so much fight.

We set up at boiler cove and initially the catching was slow. Grandpa was catching about 2 to every one that OFG caught using power bait and pink power worms. I was determined to catch something on a lure and it took me about 4 hours of changing different things before I finally decided to sit down and fish. I caught most of mine on an inflated nightcrawler within 30 minutes and finished off our limit. Then it was a nice hike back up to the car.

We met an old timer who was fishing near the launch ramp who shared how he had caught and released about 35 fish using live crickets. It was nice shooting the breeze with him while we caught our breath. Once back at the cabin we were happy to sit back and enjoy the scenery and get ready to cook our steak and potatoes on the open fire. We walked around and talked to a few others who were less fortunate than ourselves, but they were having a great time never the less.

Saturday we woke up to wind gusts and decided to go down to Bishop and hit the Owens. It was about 90 degrees in the valley, but the water was cold.

No sooner did OFG thow in her pink power worm and she got slammed by a nice quality rainbow. Unfortunately we forgot to bring a net and it spit the hook at the shore. :( Later OFG confided that she never had any confidence in powerworms, but I think that is changed forever now. ;)

We caught a couple of small browns which were also released and then decided to try PVR. OFG once again got rid of the skunk with the first fish at this location, but Grandpa couldn't seem to entice a bite. I floated a few crickets and then used inflated nightcrawler for nata and noticed a lot of fish surfacing. At that point I decided to switch to a bubble and slowly jig a wooly bugger in olive. That seemed to be what they wanted because I caught 4 right away in the 2 -3 pound range. Like I said before, we didn't have a net with us, and it was difficult to bring the fiesty fish up on the shore, so 3 were released right at my feet, but I managed to keep one. It was a lot of fun and I wanted to stay, but we decided to call it a day.

We didn't get back to the cabin until 10:30 PM Saturday Night and the sky was scattered with stars - It was unbelievable! Once again, as tired as we were from the days activities it was hard to go to sleep knowing we would be on our way home the next morning. But morning did come, we said our goodbyes and went our seperate ways. We got a call a little later from OFG that she stopped at Intake II and caught something really nice. I hope she got a picture of it and shares it with us.

Exclamation

SWEET!

See you guys up there in a couple of weeks!

Hey Granny, sounds like an awesome time..And a nice preview for the Sierra event...Can't wait.
    SCG7

Sounds like a Great Time....Nice Pics and Narration.....

I Fished up there on Sat. too & had a Blast......

Thanks for pics and report thats why i love the sierras cant wait to go soon.

Bigred

I gotta tell ya'll, it was such a blast running <sic> those mountains with granny and grandpa. I huffed and puffed in all that thin air was slower than the dickens climbing mountains, but wouldn't change it for anything. That was the fastest weekend I have ever spent in the Sierras. Parcher's is the greatest place to stay. Jared and his brothers are really nice guys and go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable. In the thin air none of us suffered too much. However, I did notice that the altitude inflates your boobs and belly. On Sunday, I knew I needed to head home but just couldn't resist the urge to try Intake II Something just told me to fish my last power worm in pink.....Mind you I never put much faith in power worms, but this trip that is just about all I got hit on. No sooner than I threw my last pink with a white gulp egg..........bammm fish on. Thing fought like crazy, I wore him out cuz of course, the net was in the car. He rolled over on shore and I got him!!!!! Nice 5-6 pound bow holdover. My cell was almost dead so had to wait to get home for a pic. Just waiting for my kid to email it to me so I can post......When I filleted this beauty, it was that gorgeous salmon colored meat. That fish had been eating well, cuz it was layered in fat on the inside. Had to be a holdover from last year cuz it had that usual stocker tail, but a beauty none the less. Anytime you get a chance to hang with the Fishes, take it. These folks are a blast, I can't thank Tammy and Mike enough for all that fun and am truly looking forward to doing it again in (3) weeks......If you're not going to the event, you'll be sorry....I will post the pic as soon as I get it mailed back to me.....OFG

Smile

That's so awesome... beautiful country & great fishing, priceless. :cool: :D

Quote Originally Posted by olfishergal View Post
    Anytime you get a chance to hang with the Fishes, take it. These folks are a blast, I can't thank Tammy and Mike enough for all that fun and am truly looking forward to doing it again in (3) weeks......If you're not going to the event, you'll be sorry....I will post the pic as soon as I get it mailed back to me.....OFG
    "Anytime you get a chance to hang with the Fishes...take it" LOL! I like that.

You made for a fun cabin mate. I can't wait till next time so I can learn some more of those funny Southern euphemisms. ;)

That is so fantastic!!!!

I cant believe I had to back out of this trip with you guys/gals at the last minute... :(

But closing this escrow was way to important/expensive..

Dam I wanted to go so bad...

Smitty and gang are the absolute best. Parchers is the place to be..

Smitty, sorry I missed ya this year man, but.......

Ill be back!!!!!

Nice fish!

And the scenery is great.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast