Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bigger Fish

Default Bigger Fish

I was just wondering, do some of you guys fish the Sierras specifically for bigger trout? I have been fishing the Sierras for 20 plus years now basically for the love of fishing itself. In the 20 plus years I had never caught anything over 2lbs. until last October when I caught a 4 lb. rainbow out of Lake George. Me, personally I think it has to do with being in the right place at the right time. Don't get me wrong, I could fish all day and not catch a thing, and still be happy, just being out there with my Dad and buddies is great and catching just adds to the experience. Sometimes I wonder what I am doing wrong when I go to Rick's and see a picture of six year old holding a 9 lb. trout. Anyway I will be up there in August and agian after Labor Day, good luck to those of heading up there sooner.

pm sent.

-andy

Two thoughts: Most of those kids didn't catch those fish, but look a whole lot cuter holding it than Dad would have. Also, big fish in the Sierras are a bonus to spending time in God's country. There are places that you can go and tactics you can use that will improve your chances, like fishing after an Alper's plant, but those fish aren't as big as they're cracked up to be. Don't get em wrong, they're beautiful fish and I love to catch them, but they're much-hyped.

Much hyped Marley???

I'll take a tiny Alpers over a big dfg stocker (which is about 12 inches max) any day of the week. Please don't try to discredit what Tim Alpers or his fish have done for that region over the years by saying the fish are hype.

With the state budget cuts and all the other bs that has gone on with the dfg and their stocking program, the Alpers have really kept the area (meaning both the fish and economy) strong.

If you're just talking about the fish all by themselves, dfg fish don't have pink meat, they are severely undersized and I can get the same type of fish hitting the east or west fork of Azusa canyon.

There are a lot of strains of fish swimming in the sierras and thankfully a lot fo lake concessioners have taking to breeding their own fish in pens and raising them to 2 to 3 lbs before they let them loose, but the Alpers are the undisputed King Kong's of the region that look and taste like a salmon and there is nothing else like them up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    If you're just talking about the fish all by themselves, dfg fish don't have pink meat, they are severely undersized and I can get the same type of fish hitting the east or west fork of Azusa canyon.

The gist of my post exactly. I see post after post of guys seemingly losing their minds over 100-plus fish days after the hatchery truck pulls away, talking about how epic the fishing was and that's why they drive up there, the fishing is so good.
    DO NOT get me wrong: I love to fish trout and I love to do it often. That means that I fish places where they plant fish. If we were honest with ourselves and each other, we all do or we wouldn't be fishing California, or anywhere else close by for that matter. Folks who get their noses all bent out of shape over "truck-chasers" leave me shaking my head. If it weren't for those trucks, wherever they fill up with fish, we likely would not fish at all.
    And I do not disparage Mr. Alpers for what he has done (I've never met him, let alone know him, and because I greatly respect him for what he has done for the entire sport of fishing and more importantly for the Eastern Siera, I could never call him simply "Tim"). He would have been ideal for the DFG post for which he was suggested.
    His fish are quality fish, no doubt. But when I hear of a plant of 4- to 6-pound fish, and all I see is (VERY NICE) 2-pound stuff, then yeah, they're used to create hype. But ya know what? I bet you that 'Loomis stick that I'm not going to turn down the opportunity to pitch 'crawlers at them every chance I get.
    BTW, I fish the opener each year at Crowley specifically for the size and quality of the fish taken there. Those fish are a cut above, as close to wild as you'll get and almost all have that tasty (although not salmon) orange meat. If I'm lucky to get back up there at other times of they year, I just enjoy fishing in the Sierras.
    Last edited by Marley; 06-02-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Point taken Marley...it just came across to me that you thought the fish were of the same "quality" as the dfg stockers and that they are just hyped as being better.

Next to hanging a big brown, I'll take an Alpers regardless of their size...just my humble opinion though.

Tight lines and good luck on all your trips to the sierras!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Next to hanging a big brown, I'll take an Alpers regardless of their size...just my humble opinion though.

Tight lines and good luck on all your trips to the sierras!

Yup!
    Tight lines back atcha, maybe we'll run into each other up there some time.

u don't want to actually run into Big Country he's a Big MOFO Meeting him might be a better plan...

Hey BC when you gonna head up that way?

No drama with me Greeper, I'm fun loving unless you cross my lines by trolling a boat too close to shore - then I just do a cannonball and sink you. Ha!

I'm in Mammoth July 10th - 17th and then again Sept. 12th - 15th.

I'll also be in B-port for the closer I think Nov. 11th - 16th.

Let's see...That will be a combined gas bill of at least $1,500. Time to start hiding money from the wifey.

Hopefully you'll be up there during one of those times.

Nice thread jack!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast