Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road to Saddlebag Lake

Default Road to Saddlebag Lake

I just saw that Saddlebag Lake Resort isn't opening up until June 21st, figures since my buddies and I will be up there the week before. Does anyone know if or when the forest road to Saddlebag Lake will open? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Darren

Any info people have on Saddlebag would be great.

Sorry I don't know about the road but I'll be going up the week of the June 27th. Should be good that lake is by far my favorite in the Eastern Sierras so far. I have a friend coming from Buffalo, NY this year who has never been so it should be a great time.

i know last year the water level was depressing low. Water didn't even reach the dam.

Default Road to Saddlebag.....

Try this site,they usually post updates on road conditions..

http://www.395.com/

It's open now (the highway) but won't be fishable for quite some time as everything above 9500 is covered in snow. I was up at little Virginia today and while the lake was ice free, there was still a ton of snow. I've been in Mammoth for the last week and it has snowed every day!!! It should be good to go by the time you are planning to go.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnSierra View Post
    i know last year the water level was depressing low. Water didn't even reach the dam.
    Yeah, that was depressing last year. Still went out on a rental and caught plenty of fish on that lake like always. I was told by the people who run the lake store that it was low because So. Cal Edison took thier share of water and the low amount of snow pack last season. Hopefully water levels will be much better this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jmurillo74 View Post
    Yeah, that was depressing last year. Still went out on a rental and caught plenty of fish on that lake like always. I was told by the people who run the lake store that it was low because So. Cal Edison took thier share of water and the low amount of snow pack last season. Hopefully water levels will be much better this year.

Yea saddlebag is a staple of my yearly sierra trip and it was depressing to see it last year...apparently edison had most of the water transferred to lake elery and thus left saddlebag low and the land surrounding it brown...so hopefully with all the snow this year, the water will be high and the land surrounding the lake will be nice and green again

Some pics from a couple years ago:

Default Saddlebag Lake Update

Hi,

I went up to check for you (I was in the area) on Saturday, May 31. The highway is open, the 2 mile road to the lake is closed. It is gated and locked.

I love Saddlebag Lake, and the crew that runs the lodge are fantastic.

I have gone the last 3 years, always in October, and have had great luck. I have caught the 'slam' (brook, golden, rainbow & brown) three years ago and two years ago, but not last year. It still was fun.

Hope this helps.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by rotto84 View Post
    Hi,

I went up to check for you (I was in the area) on Saturday, May 31. The highway is open, the 2 mile road to the lake is closed. It is gated and locked.

I love Saddlebag Lake, and the crew that runs the lodge are fantastic.

I have gone the last 3 years, always in October, and have had great luck. I have caught the 'slam' (brook, golden, rainbow & brown) three years ago and two years ago, but not last year. It still was fun.

Hope this helps.

Brett

I didn't know there were goldens in Saddlebag, I know the upper lakes behind Saddlebag has them.

Default Saddlebag Lake Correction

Hi,

I did say Saddlebag Lake, but I meant the Saddlebag loop. I caught the first 'slam' in the following locations:

Brook from Hummingbird Lake.
    Golden from Shamrock Lake.
    Rainbow from Saddlebag Lake.
    Brown from Slate Creek (the stream out of Saddlebag Lake).

Brett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast