Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: From the Hand of Poseidon... A Memorial Day to Remember. You Won't Believe Your Eyes!

Talking Wingnut's response

Quote Originally Posted by tr0psn4j View Post
    nice trip arthur. should have called me :D
    Mike says that he tried calling you Chris. But no worries man, you'll get yours this weekend. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by THarry65 View Post
    I believe my eyes..I caught 3 of those last week...now I'm not sure, but I lived in Newport Beach for 20 years but those back drops in your photos don't look familiar to me at all...are you sure thats Newport?..
    Tharry65
    Newport?!? You're right, it doesn't look like Newport, because it's not in Newport. You got three of them, quite an accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by ToadsToadsOnly View Post
    Sweet!.... Awsome job on the salmon and butts.
    Indeed, we had a pretty decent day in the surf.

Quote Originally Posted by Badfish2 View Post
    I thought Salmon fishing was closed completely this year?
    From DFG Website.
    www.dfg.ca.gov
    Back to Question List
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/issues/salmon/#10
    Ocean Salmon for 2008
    Is the California ocean salmon fishery now closed?
    All California ocean sport and commercial salmon fisheries are currently closed.
    Emergency action was taken by the Pacific Fishery Management Council (PFMC), National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), and the California Fish and Game Commission (FGC) to close the ocean sport fishery between Horse Mountain and Point Arena (Fort Bragg area) beginning April 1, 2008. Emergency action was also taken to close the April 5, 2008 sport fishing openers in San Francisco and Monterey port areas (south of Point Arena to the U.S.-Mexico Border).
    Either way, amazing report, and thanks for the photos!!
    Thanks for the info. Now do me a favor, can you look up what is the penalty and/or fine for an "Incidental" catch?

Quote Originally Posted by klocked View Post
    WOW!! Absolutely the best report I have read since day 1!!
    You guys have got skills in locating fish!! Makes me feel like I'm still wandering around aimlessly hoping I'm somewhere close to the fish.
    I mean I've done ok but you guys are amazing!! Great job out there!!
    As far as the DFG regs and assuming that is a silver salmon(coho),
    it says....
    In chapter 4, section 27.80. Salmon.

(c)
    Limit:

(1) Two salmon per day. See sub-section (c)(2) below and Section 1.17.

(2) Statewide Silver (coho) Salmon Restrictions: No silver (coho) salmon may be retained.

Once again, great report!!

Klocked
    Cannot target or keep any Salmon whatsoever. Let's hope they make a big comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by fishon714 View Post
    I think DFG is in need of some cash. They may be planting these unknown species to SoCal waters in hopes of catching an unsuspecting fisherman and handing him a $1,000,0000 ticket. Awesome catch Arthur and Mike! I'm just waiting for the usual Yellowtail to start biting off Catalina!!!
    Let us know when the Yellows starts running, we just might get one from the surf. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63power View Post
    awesome! you guys just nailed them out there..way to go on the salmon and flatties..
    It's a rare day when you get both Salmon & Halibut... very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by steve092 View Post
    Great read man.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve092 View Post

Great report. Congrats on the Salmon.
    Thanks Steve. :cool:

Quote Originally Posted by JSAUCE818 View Post
    Arthur, Arthur,....you are having way to much fun man.... AND THAT'S WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT! ......congrats to you and the SurfMaster! (kichigai)

Quote Originally Posted by JSAUCE818 View Post

All you need is a WSB from the surf, which I'm sure you 2 will pull it off soon....
    I've been trying to get a WSB from the surf Jesse. I had a juvenile pop off the hook a couple of weeks ago. I thought that it was a YFC, but when I saw it close to me before it came unbuttoned... it was a WSB.

Quote Originally Posted by Cangler View Post
    What ? ... no YFC ?

I'm starting to miss those YFC's... haven't nabbed one in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Possman View Post
    Best way to tell if they are Coho is from the gums....Chinook have black gums, Coho have white gums with gray sploches, and steelhead have all white. Those have to be Coho (still unreal), no way we get 1 steelhead this down here let alone 3! Plus Coho are the ones that tend to be jumpers, not common to see the others jump clear of the water. WTG Wingnut!

Great ID info., thanks. We identified it as a Coho from a Goggle search and from the DFG website. Jumpers... I'd say so, spectacular jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by doyoufishmuch View Post
    Wow! Congrats on the beautiful new species and thanks for the amazing report!!

This new species is special... and rare.

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    Wingnut,

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    sincerly,

CityDad

No need for words Tim, I know what you're thinking... "How would one of those things feel on a fly rod...?" ;)

Quote Originally Posted by fish_sauce View Post
    OMG!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fish_sauce View Post
    you guys make it look toooooo freaken easy!

congrats on the awesome catch!
    awesome report, awesome pictures! keep them commin!
    They were just running that day, we were very lucky to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiemike View Post
    People Should Take Note, This What Happens When You Get Out
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiemike View Post

Alot, Cool Report & Nice Fish!! Cm
    Pretty good for getting out about once a week on average.

Talking Wingnut's response - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    AMAZING day out there Arthur...what an incredible weekend in the surf, how does one top this action? Legal WSB, DD calico and yellowtail all in the same day? Awesome report and very cool underwater photos....safe to say who the next surf event is going to be named after?
    Keep up the great work and awesome reports....congrats on a great day of catching!
    TD
    Thanks Aaron, it was a pretty wild weekend. I'll take whatever Poseidon send my way... hopefully he'll spare a WSB or two in the near future. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by cappo View Post
    Nice Cohos guys, amazing catch. Arthur you should go to vegas right now, your on fire man.
    Trust me Juan, no need to go to Vegas... my bookie hates me right now during these playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by FishNFurious View Post
    That is the most amazing thing that I've ever seen! Totally OFF THE HOOK man!!! What a day that you and Mike had Arthur, I'm so jealous dude. You've heard it before, but You Da Man! Nobody is going to be able to reach that bar that you set. :cool:
    But I know you're not perfect buddy, you lost that Lakers bet the last game. Wingnut is HUMAN afterall!
    Can't win them all Vince, but four out of the last five is not too bad. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    truly a fantastic report thank you
    Thanks Chris, it was fun writing this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman65 View Post
    Ditto!!!!
    I would of kept that Salmon and BBQed it that very day.
    Congrats Arthur.
    TM65
    BBQ Salmon for Memorial Day... sounds delicious, but probably not worth the $1000.00 fine.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer View Post
    Hey Arthur
    Do you hear that???? That buzzing is the sound that I hear on the internet after your story broke wide open. Simply amazing!!!!! Congrad on catching one of the more sought after species on the west coast.
    Specially since it is reported that the salmon #'s are way down this year forcing an emergency closure of the fishery.
    thanks again for sharing with us.
    Soulh
    Some of the buzz will be positive, some will not... comes with the territory.
    Hopefully the Salmon fishery will make a strong comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by one_leg View Post
    Arthur, that was pretty fantastic fishing you guys had.
    Thanks for posting up the report.
    You could have at least dropped some of those salmon into DVL......j/k that is illegal, Don't do it!!!
    O_L
    They'll be right at home in DVL Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by crappie stalker View Post
    Wing you never cease to amaze me.. You are a slay master in all waters.. Keep the great reports coming and I am sure you are one of his top jesters>.LOL
    CS
    Poseidon has a sense of humor... he keeps throwing different things at me to see how I react. I don't mind, he can keep it coming! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by bullets_full View Post
    Simply amazing again!!!!!
    :cool: :D

Quote Originally Posted by Liteliner View Post
    Congratulations on the awesome fish again. All of them. Had one few questions. Is that spectra you have spooled on the reels? If so how is the casting for the straight spectra? I was debating on doing that but hate getting the spectra finger cuts.
    That isn't the Spectra line that I was using, it was the Daiwa Steez Flourocarbon. Strong, but not very soft.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
    That is awesome! You guys are the master of the surf and fresh water... Can't wait to get out there with you all again...
    Isn't Mike suppose to be working anyways?
    Keep up the great reports and sharing...
    BW
    You have to get out with us soon Phuong... you're missing out on some incredible stuff here buddy. Make time, work will still be there when you're done fishing. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by BBL2Baja View Post
    Arthur,
    Good job Man! Truly awesome day on the water.

Later,
    Scott
    Where have you been Scott?!? Haven't heard from you in a while buddy. Hope all is well, hope to see you soon at the next FNN Team 57 event. :cool:

Quote Originally Posted by supasportkid View Post
    hey good job man!! keep those good reports comin
    As long as the fish keeps coming... the reports will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by fishing25 View Post
    This is great fishing report.
    Thanks...
    Thanks you sir. :D

Quote Originally Posted by breeze71 View Post
    Good job guys. Arthur you're on fire my friend!!!
    Halibut & Salmon the same day & you weren't in Alaska!!!
    I'd never thought that I would utter Salmon & Halibut in the same breath when it comes to surf fishing. It still feel unreal somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff4321 View Post
    those look an awful lot like the salmon i caught in alaska..
    ill post a pic..
    The only difference between your Salmon and mine... is that yours are all dead. That must have been one heck of a fish fry!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_GSC View Post
    You sure know how to rub it in Arthur! ;) There was no way I was getting any time off this weekend. Thanks for the invite anyway!
    As far as your report. One word: WOW!
    You get some free time, you call me... we go Brian! :cool:

Quote Originally Posted by vertical View Post
    Great report as always....
    :cool: :D

Quote Originally Posted by bsp View Post
    Your reports are the the most motivating fishing reports that I have read. They are what I use to get my friends away from video games and onto the beach! Congratulations on an insane day of fishing!
    Surf fishing is kinda like a real life video game, much more fun than sitting on the couch at home. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    You are ridiculous Wingnut. Is there anything within casting distance that escapes your hook?? I'm glad my secret tip about taping crack pebbles on your LC is working good for ya! ha ha!! Congrats on a rare catch!
    Rich, don't tell everybody about the "Fish Crack" technique! When are you, Dana & I going to hit the surf together?

Talking Wingnut's response - Part 4

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Fe Eric View Post
    Absolutely Incredible!
    Absolutely Incredible!
    Thank you Big "E"
    Thank you Big "E"

Quote Originally Posted by BingJr View Post
    Sweet Catch all around. Im totally jealous.
    I dont recognize the beach. But I recognize the freeway where you were stuck in traffic.
    It was a long drive... but I must say, it was well worth it for a day like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbeat View Post
    Now I've seen it all!
    I'm stunned speechless at the sight of Salmon from the surf.
    Amazing report Art, simply amazing. You and Mike should start a surf fishing guide service! ;)
    Binh :cool:
    Mike should start a guide service, not me. I'm just lucky... he has the knowledge. Been surf fishing much longer than I have.

Quote Originally Posted by flyngby View Post
    What a great way to finish a 3 day Holiday Weekend fishing adventure starting on Saturday with my son Brad and I.
    I am now wondering what your species total is for the surf???????
    I had better start getting some new 1's in NPH as you are catching up very quickly.
    Amazing day as always and great to see you get out with Surf Master MIke as I was asking you where he had been hiding.
    I now have a new goal for the Harbor!!! SALMON
    Steve and Brad
    It was quite a three day adventure Steve, thanks for starting it off on a positive note. Mike says hello, maybe we all can get together and fish the next time your schedule allows. That would be a lot of fun! :D

Quote Originally Posted by xtranzman View Post
    Very nice!
    It seems that every time you go out something good happens. I have to think its either karma or a lot of hard work.
    Well, maybe it's both. LOL. I don't know if anyone works as hard and as long in the surf as you have lately and it sure is paying off.
    As for the karma part......... good things happen to good people.
    Nice job! Thanks for the great read and pics. (as usual)
    X
    Thanks for the very kind words Roy, I appreciate that. I still owe you that lunch. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by SanDimasLMB View Post
    Wow,................... I wish Poseidon would love me as much,...............
    This spectacle is becoming too frequent. i think a year or two ago a salmon was also caught off the Wedge in Newport Beach. Maybe global warming?
    I'm sure that global warming may have something to do with it. We all have to recognize the signs.

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer05 View Post
    DUDE what cant you do..haa another great report from a great fisherman..
    I can't seem to get that Striper or White Sea Bass from the surf... but just give me a little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman57 View Post
    That my friend, was one EPIC catch.....
    Dictionary.com describes the word "epic" as:
    epic
    adjective
    1. very imposing or impressive; surpassing the ordinary
    (especially in size or scale); "an epic voyage"; "of heroic proportions"; "heroic sculpture"
    Congratulations on another incredible day at the beach Arthur!
    You're gonna be one of the very few that will have a Coho Silver Salmon on their caught from the surf "species list"!
    What a GREAT report.... let's head out fishing soon!
    and as always...... thanks for representing TEAM 57!
    http://www.57shirts.com/team57members.html
    Dana
    Thanks Dana, we definitely have to hit the surf together very soon.
    Hope you dad is feeling better, send him my regards. :D

Quote Originally Posted by kichigai1 View Post
    Rides again! damn i had such a great time going out with you again. What has it been about a couple of months? and just when i thought I would steal your thunder you come back with 2 lightnings!
    you fought those 2 fish like a pro especially the 1 that almost spooled you. Well guess what the next species is going to be boowahaha next on the list is White Seabass IF they 're still around .......til next time buddy!
    You can't steal my thunder Mike... Poseidon won't allow it.
    We have to try and fish together more often... good things seems to happen when the Dynamic Duo hit the surf.
    That first big Salmon fought like a champ, took me down to a 1/4 spool and thirty yards down the beach, that was an exciting battle.
    You still owe me a WSB buddy, time to pay up!

Quote Originally Posted by mrjonez View Post
    …too good
    congrats on the epic day. i need to seriously start beach fishing again after seeing this.
    Give it a try... I bet you'll be hooked on it.

Quote Originally Posted by v6v6v6 View Post
    Hey, someone just posted this on another board... What an awesome report! I'd probably have called the SNGF alone a successful day (and foul hooked, too) ;) but you guys certainly topped that hand over fist. Congrats!
    BTW, I notice a couple shots show your reels in the sand. Yikes, aren't you worried about damaging them?
    I have a bad habit of throwing my gear in the sand, water, rocks...
    Spend a small fortune on reel maintenance, but I'm getting better. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by rocklee View Post
    Hey Arthur,
    a salmon in socal water? No Way! talk about never knowing what you can catch out there! I didn't know that salmon reach down here.
    Congratulations buddy, great catch!
    Thanks Nam... that's a huge Catfish that you caught there man, nice report!

Quote Originally Posted by Nhatster View Post
    I heard about this from Binh and had to see it for myself. Unbelievable... I see it, but I still have a hard time believing it. What an accomplishment for you & Kichigai from the surf.
    You guys should be proud, you're the envy of the surf fishing nation right now! :cool:
    Btw - Rumor has it that you have tickets to the Lakers game tomorrow night. ;) Keep in mind that blood comes before friendship or any woman brother. Hahahahaha Have fun and I'll see you Saturday night.
    GO LAKERS!!!! It ends tomorrow night.
    We happen to be at the right place, at the right time. I keep telling you guys that I'm just lucky!
    Sorry brother... I promised to take one of my best clients to the game last night... maybe the next series. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeaRobusta View Post
    You and Mike just rock. Dang that's a nice day! I bow down to the new fishing demi-gods!
    I just haven't been able to get out much lately, but well I guess family and friends are important too. But that's exactly what I wanted to do--fish three days straight. I had to settle for a few hours only. Had obligations you know....
    Anyway, I am going to dissent from the Coho identification and call it a steelhead. That mouth looks pretty light-colored to be a Coho, but then I am no expert on Salmonids.
    http://swr.nmfs.noaa.gov/fmd/identify.htm
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/cohoflyer.pdf
    As I recall, someone else posted a report of a steelhead caught in the same general area of where I think you were (LOL). This was maybe a couple of months ago. Whatever it is, steelie or coho, way nice catch. Dangnabit I just gota get out and fish more.
    It's definitely a Coho or Silver Salmon. You do need to get out there soon, I haven't seen a report from you in weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by gletemfeelsteelgary View Post
    totally awesome catches there Arthur, way ta go, thats one species I've love ta tangle with myself
    They come when you least expect it Gary... these guys hit me like a bolt of lightning, completely out of the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by man-yo! View Post
    When I grow up, I wanna be just like u! Very nice post.
    Hahahaha, very funny... but thank you for the props.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    That is just some sick a55 fishing!! Nice job out there... wow. What a great day at the beach.
    Pretty crazy stuff huh Jester? I'm still having a hard time believing it.

Quote Originally Posted by megafisher94 View Post
    nice fish!!! its weird to see stealhead in the surf this far south
    i think stealhead are illegal to keep in cali?
    Can't keep any of them... very rare indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    You are freaking amazing man! There are just no words to describe it.
    On the other hand, Lakers better own tomorrow night!
    Calico Killer Kevin
    Lakers DID OWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seng90806 View Post
    WOW!!! amazing job out there...must be nice to catch all those in one trip
    It was fun Seng, you need to get out there bro. :cool:
    Last edited by Wingnut; 06-02-2008 at 10:11 PM.

Talking Wingnut's response - Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Gray View Post
    Hi Guys, I'm the Lucky Craft sales Rep for the territory and, coincidentally Humboldt State grad with Fisheries degree. Those are awesome Coho (Silver) Salmon and are definitely protected. What a great sign for the future, hopefully, to have them show up like that. We used to have some pretty incredible Coho runs off Newport when the sportboats whacked 'em. Those fish are drawn by water temps and bait supplies. The stars aligned for you that day.
    By the way, been trying hard to get Flash Minnows Metallic Sardine but they have been discontinued and the factory just does not want to make them...at least for now. For the immediate future, we just need to change hooks on the regular patterns like Aurora Black, MS MJ Herring and American Shad and add some well placed spots with a Sharpie. Also, I don't see anybody using any brown bait colors like #277 Aurora Brown (starting to sound like a commercial here). They should work too.
    Thanks for responding to my thread Roy. The information you provided is greatly appreciated. We were all perplexed to hear the news that the Flash Minnow 110 series were being discontinued. I'm sure that with input from reps such as yourself in the recent months, the powers to be at the factory are already making preparation for a new and more exciting line-up of the FM 110 series. ;) I prefer to use the "Factory Tune" Sound Mute two-hook version myself. Thanks again for the update and please keep us posted on the progress of the LC complete product line.

Quote Originally Posted by FishinCowboy View Post
    Was this up in SB? Looks like Butterfly beach...
    Great Pictures!
    In the vicinity of SB. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Fish View Post
    Absolutely Incredible! Congratulations on an insane day of fishing!
    Another great report from a great fisherman.
    Thank you Tom, we had a blast, that's for sure. :cool:

Quote Originally Posted by imd12nv View Post
    its reports like these that make me want to take up surf fishing great job!!
    What are you waiting for? DO IT!!! :D I was in your shoes about six months ago thinking the same thing. Then I made the leap and having a blast ever since.

absolutely crazy day of fishing!!!!
    Wingnut...this is by far one of the best reports i have ever read!
    thanks for sharing this incredible day with the rest of.
    those salmanoids are soooooooooo beautiful!!!!

thanks again
    G$
    Last edited by Gmoney; 05-30-2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: so i can learn to spell :)

Arthur,

It has taken me three days since I first saw this post to respond. I thought for sure it was some sort of mirage or something and it would just fade away.
    You are simply amazing in the surf my friend. I don't think anything that swims close to the beach is safe around you.

Great Job! Keep the surf reports coming.

GREAT question!!! I have been trying and trying but it seems that they just don't want to produce something once they discontinue it....I know, it makes no sense to us. I ordered 1000 pieces back in January. 72 have made it into the country since then. I did find 200 pieces of the Metallic Sardine with the missing scale pattern in France and had them sent over here. Those will hit the shelves of a only a few shops (Bob Sands, SavOn, Performance, Purfields and Fishermans Access) probably next week. I will not give up on this task of trying to get more made and will keep you posted if I make any progress.
    Thank You very much for your input guys!
    Wow, thanks for the heads up, I'm going to be keeping an eye out for these as they come in. There are a few bidding on Ebay right now pushing $30.00 bucks!!! HOT commodities.

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    Roy thank you for your straight forward response, I have a feeling your employer sees you as an asset to the company....at least I hope so! Thanks again for your feedback and keeping us in the loop. Very cool.

TD
    Thanks for the props. I'll keep ya informed. Setting up a meeting with 'the boss' right now for next week or the next. Will know more then. FYI, I'm also having some light action surf spinning rods made right now by Lamiglas. Should be killer for the sand crabs, Kastmaster crowd and light Carolina grub rig. We'll see how they come out. Have a good weekend.

We used to have some pretty incredible Coho runs off Newport when the sportboats whacked 'em.
    I though it was the Newport seals that ate them all. Afterall they eat about 25 pounds of food per day.

fishon714

Great fish report as usual! What a haul! You need to start a Guide Service brother!

Fish On,

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast