Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking of LargeMouth Bass

Keeping bass that are just legal size are the tastiest. Too big, and the fish is too old to taste good.

Anyway, I havent eaten LMB in probably 17 years, but I remember them being really good pan fried in eggwash and seasoned flour and dipped in tartar sauce.

Like everyone else is saying, eat bluegill/redear, they are excellent.

Hey man, thats cool, you have a logical reason to eat a LMB from time to time. However, I think you might find that there are other fish that taste way better. I have tasted LMB and I found it gamey and awful. I personally enjoy catfish and even bluegill/redear.

Remember, The primary reason LMB are placed into ponds is NOT for consumption. Thats what stockers are for. They are a hardy sportfish meant for enhancing the biological filter of a body of water.

If you absolutely cant live without eating LMB I would suggest a deep fry recipe of some sort. Maybe a beer batter and a deep fryer. Try to make them as much like fish sticks as possible.

good luck!

The people that I used to go with used to keep them. They had a fish fry with bass and crappie. They just put them in that BPS batter and they tasted alright to me.

Bass STINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ate bass very often when I was a kid and I love them. I haven't eaten any for about 15 years but if I gill one you can bet I will fry it up.

Caught some LMB and Bluegill on the same day, took some home to eat, the Bluegill were awsome compaired to the Bass..........

No wonder they throw Bass back.

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    I confess to once having fished for LMB....I have since repented, learned the error of my ways, and re-dedicated myself to pursuing much finer specie. LOL.
    Is that because you didn't catch any ?...

Ha Ha ha...try it again.....

99 Ranch Market has a lot of them alive for sale.

Get yourself a plastic ziplock bag or something similar. Cut the filets into nice size squares and throw it in the bag. Throw in your favorite seasonings. I like to use fresh ones myself. Basil, thyme and rosemary I think work the best. The fresh basil really good and gives it a sweet taste which offsets the rosemary. I then add a little vinegar and some olive oil. Make sure everything is coated. Seal up the bag and put it in the fridge for at least an hour or two. I prefer overnight.

Once your fish has marinated overnight, chop up some veggies. I like carrots, celery and the like, but go with your favorites. You cant go wrong. Add these to the bag and give it a good shake to cover the just added veggies.

Once that is completed dump out the contents of the bag into the trash.

Now eat the bag.

Enjoy!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast