Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullets & Kali at Bolsa Chica (a must see!!!)

Default Bullets & Kali at Bolsa Chica (a must see!!!)

Last week I took advantage of Big Fish's pole sale and bought a heavy-duty 10' pole so I could try fishing for sharks the next time I'm at the beach. All week long while at work I was daydreaming about catching a decent-sized leopard shark. We hit up Big Fish and picked up some ghost shrimp (Bullets was going for perch) and some mackeral. We then headed off to the beach and set up at the most secluded-looking spot. I had also brought along another pole for perch, but wasn't getting much love with the Berkley products. After about 15 minutes Greg mentions that the line from the shark setup was moving against the flow of the tide. I grabbed the pole and set the hook. I saw a large piece of seaweed right where my line was and thought it was a false alarm...until the seaweed started to pull back. Fish on!!! It ended up being a 3 1/2 foot or so shovel-nose. I had it beached but a big swell came up, and as soon as the water hit the SNGF it whipped about and broke off. I was a little bummed but oh well. I reset everything back up and cast back out. About 5 minutes later, while fishing with the other setup I notice the pole bending HARD! It bent so hard that it pulled the pole with the holder straight into the sand. Holy crap! I yell and run over to the pole and set the hook. Fish on! This thing fought fiercely. After about 3 minutes of fighting it I see that it's about a 3' leopard shark! As soon as it got to the water's edge the line snapped again! :evil: And so again I set everything back up and cast out. Greg finally lands a BSP and beats back the skunk.

Shortly there after, while fishing for perch, I notice my large pole bending again, and once again it gets yanked into the sand, holder and all. As I'm running over to the pole I see that it's getting spooled like mad! I set the hook and it takes off! Whatever it was was big! I ended up walking a quarter of a mile down the beach fighting it. Here are some action shots:

Finally I get it close enough to see. It's a big leo!

After 15 minutes or so, and a lot of yelling (coaching) from Greg, a pretty nice-sized crowd starts to gather. My arms are completely tired by now, but there's no way I'm giving up. Finally I get it close enough for Greg to grab its tail. Here are some pics of it. My PB fish ever, fist shark ever and first ever leo!

Here's a better view

another pic of the same fish

See that box-looking thing in the background right above the shark's head. That's where we originally were!

After the pictures Greg removes the hook and I release it back. Then I realize that I forgot to take a picture with my 57 shirt on! :evil: Sorry Dana...

Greg and I walk back to our original spot and continue fishing. By now my arms are so tired that I'm not even about to try with my perch setup. Sure enough my large pole goes bendo again. I set the hook and nothing. When I reeled back in I see just the head of the mackeral is left! They're still out there. Quickly I rebait and toss back out. Greg gets another BSP.

As I'm walking back to my pole I see it bending yet again. Fish on!!! This wasn't as big as the last leo, but it still put up a pretty good fight. This time I remember to take the 57 shot.

Can the Bender clan once again take the shot of the week? Only Dana can decide.

After that we called it a day. Greg wanted me to write that he did catch the most fish though (5 BSP)...even though they were smaller than the bait I was using.

beautiful, i love lepord sharks

That was a really good read. You two had a ton of action today.

Nice job on the camera work...it isn't easy to photograph and fish sometimes.

Great looking leo/57 shot too.

Thank you for the great action story!

Would do you figure that big leopard weighed?

I can also show you where to pick up two more that size if you are interested - they seem to stroll in like clockwork.

Nice loepard shark. Those size ones make good steaks. Mmmmmmmmmmmm :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by EricU
    Would do you figure that big leopard weighed?
    It felt kind of like one of those 25 lb weights at the gym.

Default Killer!!!!

Awesome stuff dudes!

I'd love to get in on that Leo bite! - Nicely done!

nice going guys...thanks for the report..you must've been stoked

NICE JOB!!! After a legal hali, I want to get a leo... or a WSB... or a striper... or actually, ANYTHING legal :D :D :D hahahahaha

Nice leos.

WTG Guys.........& #46;.Impressive shots of the fish.........a nd the catchers....Looked like real fun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast