Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June Loop Family Tips 5/21-5-24

Default June Loop Family Tips 5/21-5-24

OKay guys get my family on the fish, strictly shoreline casting. I was thinking jig tubes and saloman eggs. Got two pound floracarbon line on the pole but what color and size jigs and hooks. Thanks for your advice.

i was up there last summer. i fished around the weedline in the mournings with yellow and jigs jigs. i did pretty well. also the gold thomas buyounts in wide open(no weedline) area's. if you do fish with bait i had lots of hits on the gulp in darker colors like purple.

good luck.
    S/G

For jigs I would go with a small red, pink, orange and green jig. As for the hooks go, I do not know what size is used for the small jig tubes, but if you do not buy them already hooked, you can place the hook along the tube. If they are the same length, it should be good. Also jigging trout worms work pretty good in orange red and pink. If you are going to use salmon eggs for the lakes, I would put them on the hook with a inflated night crawler because the eggs sink. There are also gulp eggs which work good, and they float so you can use them on there own. Good luck!!

fisherkid

Arty,

Okay, everyone has their own ideas this is just my 2 cents worth. The June Lake loop in a good place to fish.

June Lake - Generally fished from the big rocks, on the road side, or the beach on the east side. The beach is much safer. The lake is over 100' deep in the rock area. If your children are smal like mine I am always sure they have life jackets on. Water very cold and they will not be able to stay afloat long.

Gull Lake - Another nice place. There are some beach areas by the park and boat launch on one side, and some trails back by the big rock on the opposite side. Be careful though. If you put fish on stringers on the far side (by the rock) the crawdads will eat them.

Silver Lake - Anywhere you can find a spot. The side by the road up and around to the store and boat dock are generally the easiest.

Grant - Same as above.

Anyhow, be sure you use a good flourocarben line. Zekes Sierra Gold Rainbow(they will have it at the tackle shop there) and a size 16 treble. I use a clear cast a bubble with 2-4 feet of leader. Fill the cast a bubble full with water. Doesn't snag as much with this setup. Make the leader setups different lengths on each setup until you find what depth the fish are holding. Another hard and true success is night crawlers on a #10 hook. I prefer the large crawlers so you can cut them in half and inflate them with air and thread them on the hook like a plastic worm. Don't just bunch it on the hook. When done it should look like a tail extending from the hook shank. Inflate the crawler so it floats (This is huge). Even though it looks dead if it floats it will work. Thomas boyant (gold) Kastmasters (silver/blue), Mini jigs. If you do eggs ONLY USE Pautzkes they work best. Oh yeah dont forget the net.

Remember this is just what works for me. Hit up the Ernies Tackle as soon as you get into town and they will give you the whats up.

Enjoy and I hope you slay 'em bro.

Mike

sounds good everyone thank you for your quick replies, boys are eight and ten, the girl is fifteen hopefully I can keep them busy. will keep you posted.

If you see an overweight white guy wearing a WHO hat, that's me say hi

There is no doubt that the best lake to fish in the loop from shore with the "family" (meaning if you have kids) is Gull Lake right by the marina. There is a nice little park there with a playground, bbq's & picnic tables and most importantly - a clean restroom.

There are like 4 or 5 spots right there where you can cast out into the lake.

Shoot me a PM for specifics in regards to bait and set-up because there a couple of tricks to that particular area that I will more than gladly share with someone taking out his family.

BC

I just realized you're leaving tomorrow so check you pm I sent you.

Lakes

Red Gold Thomas Bouyants reeled in slow

Salmon Egg flavor PB with a 3-4ft leader
    Sierra gold in Yellow,Rainbow,Orange

Dip or spray the above floating baits with Garlic scent

Creeks:

Panther Martins Black body, Gold blade

Done and done

Gull Lake,at the "Fisherman's Trail" has always been a guaranteed Bite but ONLY if You get there 1st.......Before Sunup on weekends & at least at Greylite during the week.....

P.S.,.......There is a Resident Bear on that Point.....Don't be Too suprised if You aren't Alone........Never had any Trouble though,...... ;)

I haven't seen any bears there yet.. but I have been to the rock many times and seen deer. Here's one from last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast