Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 91 Tracker Problem

Default 91 Tracker Problem

40 HP Evinrude 2 Stroke. Was Running Fine. Had surgery and it's been sitting a year. Starts but can't prime properly. Prime bulb too hard. Runs For 10-15 seconds then dies out. A Friend suggested something about oil and gas making something in carb stick.

I'm new, and any help would be greatly aprreciated. Thanks in advance!

You got problems.....Gas is stale and turned to jelly.......try running some Sta-Bil in your tank. You can buy it at Wally-World. Also pour it in your carb.

oh yeah that sucks...
    Remember if you know you are not gonna use your boat for a long time,run the motor with the gas cable disconnected so you dont have that problem,,,hope you get it fixed.

Default 91 Tracker Problems

Thanks for the answers guys. If fuel stabilizer doesn't work, is it an expensive fix?

Ok,,,

Are you using a portable tank or a built in tank. I'll assume you have a portable.

Empty the tank in another can and put it aside.

Replace fuel line and bulb with a new one.

Do you have a pressure cap on your tank? If so release the tank pressure.

Remove the cowl and spray some starter fluid in the carb and yank or crank it.

Better yet POST a pic or two of what your working with.

Hope this helps. Should be an easy fix for ya.

I have had this problem before, What happened was that the gas evaporated and the oil/gas mixture turned into a thick varnish paste. This usually causes your carbs to gum up. You need to spray starting fluid into the carbs in order to try to free the carbs up. Just as Capt R said. Next time you store it, always run stabil into your tank and into the motor. Hope this helps. Should not be a big problem at all. GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks alot guys for all your help. I'm new to boating as you can tell. I have a built in tank that still has gas in it. Do I syphon out the old gas and put new and spray the carbs as suggested? Can I treat the gas that's in it now? Recommend any products?

This is a outstanding site.!!

Well if you think your tank is real bad have a shop check it out for you.

I had to pop the deck lids of my Shammy and cut square access holes in each tank. The crud I pulled out was amazing. Stringy, cotton like threads, black and green. Wiped out both tanks with a cleaning solution, made some gaskets and stainless steel plates, sealed it up and have had no problems in the last 175 hrs of running.

Keep in mind this is a DIESEL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91007 015.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	3706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91007 013.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	3708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91007 025.JPG 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	3709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91007 026.JPG 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	3710  
    Last edited by Cap'n Ron; 05-21-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing-Frank View Post
    Thanks alot guys for all your help. I'm new to boating as you can tell. I have a built in tank that still has gas in it. Do I syphon out the old gas and put new and spray the carbs as suggested? Can I treat the gas that's in it now? Recommend any products?

This is a outstanding site.!!
    After 1 year of sitting. The gas in your tank may be stale. But should not have turned to varnish. Put in a good amount of STA-BIL in your tank.If the motor still doesnt stay running after CR tips.
    Changed out fuel filter??

Be careful of starting a fire.
    With the fuel line disconnected from the carb.
    Just bump the motor enough to see if you got fuel getting to the carb. Or use the primer bulb if that works.
    If you do.
    Then your jets and/or the needle valve may be gummed up/stuck inside the carb.
    Spray carb cleaner in the fuel inlet. Cleaning all the gum/varnish out.

If you dont,
    Just start backtracking from the carb. Looking for the blockage.

Hey Cap'n Ron
    Finally got rid of that lame username Broken Rod.
    Ive always heard of green nasty stuff that can grow in diesel fuel tanks.
    Guess its true.
    Kelp stringers in your fuel tank :cool:

Much better TC!

Yeah that schtuff was ALIVE man!

But I'd rather deal with the diesel than a gasser any day.

If this weather co-operates I'm out all weekend Friday thru Monday. Gonna kill me some feesh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast