Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Two Moo-moo Trips This Week w/pics

Default Two Moo-moo Trips This Week w/pics

Water Was 60º But Little Help

Hi there guys,

1) Tuesday’s Report

Went on another ½-day-trip on the Southern Cal, out of Pierpoint Landing to fish local waters i.e. Horseshoe Kelp both outside and inside with 7 anglers. Yet again …..as the season advances, more and more boats I haven’t ridden in a while are …… getting out on the weekdays on a regular basis. Collin was the skipper, while Ryan decked, and Myron did galley duties.

Note: Countdown 1: It will be only a couple more weeks, nowearly June according to past years, till the Summer season starts….. if it hasn’t for your landing already. Don’t Forget!! That’s when the ¾-day boats usually start leaving at 6am and the ½-day boats leave at between 6am and 7am!! Pierpoint is going into Summer schedule soon. See asides

Countdown 2: The new bait barge/receiver should be operable in just about23days as tentatively that’s the estimate made onApril 6th, by someone with the San Pedro Bait Company. Update: See asides

Target Fish: Rockfish and Bass

Short Report- Tuesday 05/15

7 guys caught 35 Scuplin and 21 Rockfish. Average 8 fish a person!! Not bad ….still fishys just weren’t biting …….. much!! Again, we did ok for the day compared with the few ½-days that did go out. Check out 2 other ½-day boats fish counts!!

Two other ½-days boats counts:
    15 3 Sheephead 10 Whitefish 53 Rockfish 11 Sculpin
    11 2 Sand Bass, 7 Sculpin, 1 Calico Bass, 1 Lingcod, 34 Whitefish, 5 Rockfish

(Please widen your view to fit monitor if word-wrap looks off.

05/15 Jackpot

The Fish ………………………....&#4 6;.........&#4 6;.........&#4 6;.........&#4 6;.. Winner! file photo

Tree Fish Wins It

Way to go again! A Tree Fish was the winner today. The near 2-lb fish was caught in less then 100 feet of water, using ….. frozen Squid strips on a dropper-rig fished at anchor. We had live Sardines too …… but to of no avail!!

Long Report

LA Light Looks Fishy

The Days Fishing

Out, Down, and Back …………………………………..& #46;.........& #46;.Red Tide!

Grazing in the Pasture

Nice Boat ………………………….... .. Moooooo

PBer’s

First ………........& #46;.........& #46;.........& #46;......... Second

Third ………........& #46;.........& #46;.........& #46;......... Fourth

Round-Up

3 Rounds

First Stopfile photo

Round 1 Dropped the anchor around 11am. Fished straight out from Point Fermin for Bocaccio with our Sardines in a little less than 200 feet. Didn’t have a lot of luck (picked up a few Starries and Sculpin), even with moving around 3 times so ….. we decided to make a 20~30 minute run straight down south. Mixed bottom but generally we had structure. I didn’t ask but I wonder if he wasn’t looking more for biters than for a little warmer water. Water temperature was 60º where we were at this stop. Current wasn’t that strong as is often the case with the morning’s fishing. Moved around 11:30am

Setups were dropper loops, Carolina sliding-egg sinker, and good ol’ leadhead/whole Squid rigs. We used both cut Squid as well as some live and lots of fresh dead Squid.

A little South

Round 2 Got to our new area around noon and pretty much used the same rigs in the vicinity of 120 of water. Pretty much fished the soft bottom but I wasn’t sure if it was sand, mud, or that weird short vegetation one often comes across where you hang up a little but am soon able to pull off with steady pressure. Fishing was easy with a steady current and there was a slow pick on the fish although there was nothing going on in the wideopen department! After making a number of moves, adjusting to this and that, the skipper could see that there would be little improvement in the bite so back up the line we went to try our luck on a little different area having some bumpy structure. Most continued to use the BIG-3 types of rigs while I continued to use Plastics/No Squid strip or attractant. Current picked up a little. Water temp didn’t seem to increase that much. Moved 1:40pm.

Back Up!!

Round 3 Again, we fished shallow at less than 100 feet and there was the usual sandy bottom but …….. also some structure. Felt like a rockpile of some sort as there were the usual hangups on both the left and the right swing of the boat. Caught not quite a third of our fish in this area. We moved a number of times and caught a few fish at each repositioning but alas …. No real bite ever developed. Let’s face it !!! If you’ve got lots of talented anglers and live chovies and Squid and still can’t somehow get a bite going or a higher count than usual….. things are tough. Current got stronger and the conditions worsened to where I was ready to go home. Gave it up a little past 3:00pm. Water temp pretty much hung around 59 degrees.

Conditions: (Check out the graphics for the water conditions.)

Skies were clear and sunny. Air temp stayed in the 50º~60ºs during the fishing day due to the cool breeze. Foggy in the morning but things cleared later on in the day. Constant breeze made it cold for us old guys. Jackets felt good most of the day.

Gallery

Beauty of the Trip

Fish!

Good Job …………Nice Fish

Fish Tacos …………………….....& #46;.........& #46;.........& #46;. Good Filets

Other Stuff!

Uh Oh! ………………………....&#4 6;.........&#4 6;.........&#4 6;.........&#4 6;.........&#4 6;.........&#4 6; Chovie Thieves

Finch’s Butt ………………….....&#46 ;.... Flying Backward V ……………......… Banana

HeliSinker ………………………....&#4 6;. Tall Ship? …………………….....& #46;.........& #46; 3 Dead Sealions

Let Them Know!

The photos above are just a sample of the fish and things of interest, at least to me, on this trip.Note: If you see a friend in the pictures, let them know they can copy the photo off the report.Directions: Click the right button with the ‘cursor’ on the picture, then click on ‘save picture as’, next choose where they wish to copy the picture, and lastly click ‘save’. Later, they can edit and print the picture at their leisure with a simple photo-editing program.

Tweeking Plastics #28

Stealth weights!!

Choosing Right Baits the Key It

Sorry to say my much anticipated success with the fake Sand Dab didn’t pan out …. Heh heh heh That’s an inside joke as to my approach to making the darn things. Total failure!!

Take heart tweekers …. that’s tackle tweekers! I got a new take on embedding a weight in a plastic. I say plastic as there are a bunch of problems I felt it wasn’t worth overcoming trying to use the system to weight average-sized swimbaits. I met with decent results with various plastics including: Scampys, Beavertails, Jerk-It or Sluggo types, and other variations.

The basic idea is a take-off on the tube lure but my concoction allows one to freely choose the amount of weight and hook style over the ones sold retail.[P]

Components:

1) Most variations on the hook style shown with the eyelet in line with the hook shaft.
    2) Mojo weights as shown. Available in a number of weights.
    3) A couple of plastics you’re willing to ruin experimenting.
    4) Adhesive/Superglue

Tools:

1) The old 6-inch length of radio antenna that has one end sharpened to easily and only partially punch thru a soft-plastic body.
    2) An ice-pick
    3) A hacksaw
    4) Small vice
    5) A pair of pliers

How I did it!! (down and dirty)

1) First … plan where you want the hook bend and barb to be positioned along the bait with the hook eyelet coming out of the center front end of the bait.

2) Punch a hole (half to three-quarters the diameter of the weight) at an angle in the bait so that the hook bend will be positioned and at the attitude you want for hooking. i.e. nose-heavy … tail-heavy, etc. (punch from the back toward the front but don’t punch through completely as you want the eyelet to have some stability in solid plastic.

3) Remove the soft-plastic plug with the ice-pick. (Takes practice)

4) Put the Mojo lead in a vice snugly so that it is horizontal and parallel with the jaws. Use the hacksaw to saw through to the center-hole of the weight.

5) Position the hook in the weight and clamp the weight onto the hook shaft.

6) Apply the Superglue however you prefer and insert the weight/hook combo from the back and punch the eyelet through to the front end of the bait.

7) Let the adhesive set a bit and you’re ready to fish.

Done!!

Plastics!!

Skunked Again

My Buddy …………………………………..& #46;.........& #46; Organized Chaos!

Got About 4 Hits

No big deal! Concentrated on 5 plastics colors from 3~9-inches and ¼~2 oz. Leadheads in red, yellow and green. Green seems to be a really hot color for leadheads at the moment …. especially for guys fishing leadhead/whole Squid combinations. My only solace is that in the real world …. If ya can’t get bit on live Squid ….[P]with skilled anglers and varied presentations …. ya probably ain’t gonna do too well with plastics. Enough whining!

Ended up with a couple of takes and one actual hit missed and satisfaction that I did all that I could think of in such a varied and spread-out playing field.

The Usual Colors

1st … 2nd . 3rd . 4th ..5th .. .6th

Tuesday Out There

Lunar …………………………………………†¦.....Wind Direction and Speed!

Tides …………………………………………†¦â€¦.........& #46;.........& #46;.........& #46;...Water Temps!

Tuesday’s Conditions

Fishing Grounds: Check pics and stats!!

Wild Creatures: Saw 3 dead Sealions! That red tide is really affecting them badly. Cormorants, Pelicans, and Seagulls pretty much stayed away until it was time to clean fish. We also had a visit from a Finch that flitted around checking us out. Pretty cute little guys and this one was a butter-ball. Wild Parakeets sometimes have visited the moo-moos I have been fishing on that were a little closer to shore.

Asides:

Aside: Got a blast from the past a week ago or so! Hadn’t heard this one since September 2001. Over the PA system, I overheard a skipper announce that we should keep our knives in our tackle boxes. Looking at my fellow passengers, I wondered if he was talking about fishing knives or somebody’s personal safety device! Just joking …… well …… kinda!!

Truth is …. having every angler keep knives in their tackle boxes reduces the possibility that some jerk try to cut bait at or on places where they shouldn’t …… like boat rails (death by injection too good for them), benches, or other surfaces not meant to be used as a cutting board ……. other than cutting off the hands of tackle-thieves.

Another Aside: Pierpoint Landings’ Summer schedule will officially kick off with their first Twilight run of the season on Friday night June 1st! A boat will be on-line for Twilights on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.

Both ½-day and ¾-day boats will be running on the Summer schedule from June 2nd.(Saturday). The ¾-day will leave at 6am instead of 7am and the ½-day Southern Cal will be making an am run from 6:30am, a pm run departing at 12:30pm, and my guess is twilight from between 6:30 and 7pm. (as is the usual everywhere …. the boats will go out with a minimum required number of anglers.)

Yet Another Aside:

Typical Parameters for Summer Schedules:

Note:Although the boat/fish counts sometimes give you a hint, the best thing to do is to check with the landings by phone as …… their websites don’t always reflect the latest changes. Be aware that ages to qualify for discounts vary by landing! Fares change !!Disclaimer: Be sure to check the times, fares, and restrictions at the time you make your reservation.

Last Aside:

For ½-Day Action …………….…. After 4 Hours!

One challenge I wish was better met on a moo-moo is the way most of the sport-boat fitters handle the ever-present problem of stowing patrons rods/outfits. Do a quick estimate of how many outfits can be accommodated in ‘rod-holders’ on the next boat your ride. You’ll see that there might be as many ‘holders’ as are the number of anglers allowed on the boat. In the old days, lots of anglers indeed had just one or two rods. Nowadays …… most regulars come on board with 3 or four rods. As there aren’t enough holders, on a boat even only at half-capacity, you’ll often see rods all over the place. That’s[P]against bait tanks, propped up along upper deck railings, down in bunk rooms, and even in trash cans!!

There are 3 legit schemes I have seen. The most common system utilizes a rubber clip similar to what you see holds brooms or rakes on a garage wall. Another is a takeoff on up-scale rod holders often called rocket launchers …. due to there tubular construction. The third type is where the butt of the rod actually touches the bottom of a rack before the reel frame comes up against the lip or aperture of the rod holder.

Very Last Aside: A boat called the Bounty is presently selling bait to the public but am not sure of their daily location ..... local or Catalina. A couple of other bait boats are coming around and sitting off the LA light but I don't go out every day so I don't know if it's a daily thing.

The SoCal (during refurbishing)

Today’s Crew

Collin file photo …… Deck-Ryan ………….... Cook-Myron

End of the Day

Really good bunch of fellow-angler/regulars on the boat! As is usual, those that wanted them …… got off the boat with some good fish-taco meat. The boat tied up around 4:30pm but I was home before the 5 o’clock X-files.

2) Wednesday’s Report

Catalina- No Yellows or WSB

Went on a ¾-day-moo-moo trip to the frontside, mid-island of Catalina ….. Wednesday 05/16.

Short Report-05/16

The boat caught Calicos, Sheephead, Perch, Sculpin, Mackerel, Sugar Bass, a Bat Ray and, …… da da …. …… a few Whitefish. Deckhand did a great job!

05/16 Jackpot

Last Call ……………………….. Winner!

Sheephead Wins

The 3-lb fish was caught on Squid on a dropper loop the last drop of the day! Congrats on another jackpot Ted. On another subject, many thanks to deck Bob …. who works hard and does a good, and above all attentive job decking.

Fished Area!

Summary

Left the dock at around 7:00am picked up some live anchovies outside the breakwater and headed for Bird Rock and the front-side of Catalina. Had live Anchovies, Squid, as well as frozen Squid for bait. Squid pretty much the bait of choice. Had between 25 and 30 anglers. Excluding the Perch, boat averaged two fish per person.

Plastics Worked
    The Catch ………………………….... .......... .........&# 46; Oh Calcutta!

Fishy Plastic

As I threw ‘plastics only’ 99.97% of the day, my catch total was small with so much live bait. I did ok on this Calcutta Flashfoil, ½-oz., 3-inch, pearl, black-back shad model!!

End of Another Day

Large mix of anglers of differing experience. The boat tied up around 6:15.

JapanRon

Nice report as allways !!To bad the plastics didnt work well .I actually enjoy fishing them more myself .. :lol:

Hey JR,

I won't doubt water clarity at Pt. Fermin was beautiful. It seems on the coast all week it has been clean and clear.

...that is quite the array of swimbaits you have going there...a real rainbow of choices.

Have you given any thought to modifying/incorporating any Gulp baits into your swim bait testing? Those white mullets are almost a must at the island!

Sorry to hear about the lack of yellows or WSB...it's coming.

Thank you for your report.

Hi EricU,

On water clarity ... the red tide was horrible til one got about 5 minutes off the breakwater. Water clarity was pretty much normal otherwise. I was suprised to see 3 dead Sealions on the way out toward the rigs but the currents carry them in that direction I guess.

I should start trying Gulp swimbaits .... I'm sold on their Sandworms !!!

thanks,

JapanRon

As usual.....incredible report!

Fear not, the fishing will get better as we make our way into summertime...

Informative report as usual. Those sculpin look to be a good size. Keep the reports coming.

Thanks Again Ron......I talked to Karl from the Bounty and he sits around the La Light during the week and Avalon on Weekends....Nice guys

What are those anchovy stealers...? hard to tell in pic...Sealions?

I was heading out to Catalina tonight to fish a WSB Tourney.. till I got to the ramp and Heard nothing but Click,Click,...Starter froze up....Bummer.

Always something with Boats I tell ya

anyone know where I can get a Starter for a 5.0 Volvo Penta Sat Morning....... :lol:

Hi fishnfool,

Dang ..... Bad Luck on that starter. No kick-starting or running it down off the top of a swell and popping the clutch I guess!

The Anchovie stealers were a heard of fearless Sealions that fought the nets like crazy!!

The virus that's going around must have killed the 3 Sealions I saw floating dead in the water.

Too bad you're not out after the grey ghost but next week things will quiet down and you still have a good shot at them.

Hope the starter is a cheap fix!!

JapanRon

Japan Ron,

As always, your report was incredible.

I sure hope that Red tide moves out, there was an article in fridays OC register on it, with comments from Newport, and Davey's Lockers captains.

Wow I never seen a rep0rt like this !! :appl: :appl: excellent !!