Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Believe it, we're next.

Default Believe it, we're next.

The commission that is charged with implementing the Marine Life Protection Act is is in the process of taking dead aim at some of our best fishing areas off southern California's inshore and island areas.
    I have posted about this before when they were working north and central Ca. but now it's our turn.
    Unless you want to see all of the best fishing spots made off limits by people that have absolutely no concern for your right to fish and a total disregard for any and all scientific date that has been collected concerning recreational fishing, YOU must get involved now.
    Join UASC at http://www.unitedanglers.com/page.php?2 or any other group that is fighting these arrogant anti-fishing East coasters.
    We must be prepared before they get started here. They have already closed much of the North and Central coast leaving only the most barren areas to fish.
    Do you think they will not close areas like Catalina and Clemente or the Horseshoe and Barn kelp, how about the Clam beds off Oceanside?
    If we don't get involved in this fight with our time AND OUR DOLLARS we will be fishing only the sand flats.
    Now is the time to take a stand and tell these people that they have gone far enough, it stops here.

The first thing that website wants from me is my credit or checking info..
    Good cause though. If I could, I'd help out. I'd hate to see some of my favorite inshore spots closed off.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-13-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Of course they ask for money, it's the page for joining up.
    If you want more information just click on the banner at the top for what you want to know.

As a biologist I can tell you that the scientific data that forced closures north of Point Conception to rock fishing was not only accurate, but overwhelmingly so. Unfortunately, most of the data was directly tied to recreational fishing. What is worse, there are many species of rockfish affected and some scientists estimate that recovery will take decades. In addition, these are NOT arrogant east coast scientists but those working at Scripps, UCSB, UC Santa Cruz, University of San Francisco, and friends of mine from CSUF.

Fishing is a huge part of my life, but so is conservation. I can't support what youre doing here.
    Last edited by Stormcrow; 05-13-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    As a biologist I can tell you that the scientific data that forced closures north of Point Conception to rock fishing was not only accurate, but overwhelmingly so. Unfortunately, most of the data was directly tied to recreational fishing. What is worse, there are many species of rockfish affected and some scientists estimate that recovery will take decades. In addition, these are NOT arrogant east coast scientists but those working at Scripps, UCSB, UC Santa Cruz, University of San Francisco, and friends of mine from CSUF.

Fishing is a huge part of my life, but so is conservation. I can't support what youre doing here.
    Why don't you go back to the freshwater board.
    All you do is argue on the saltwater boards.
    Apparently the lives of the freshwater fish is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Rod View Post
    Im just dissagreeing, Please dont flame me. I would hate to see these spots closed too. But Im sure if they do, it will be for a very good reason. It will protect fishing for all of us in the future.

I am all about conservation for fresh water fish as well. I did graduate work in the field. LMB are a species that are easily released and their populations easily monitored. Rockfish, on the other hand, cannot be released a majority of the time due to drastic depth change problems. Scientists are very concerned about MVP (Minimum Viable Population) If a population falls below that mathematically calculated number, a series of events ensue called the "extinction vortex" which leads to the total extinction of a population in that area. This is what scientists are trying to avoid at all costs.

I hope it never comes to that in our local waters. Perhaps more stringent rules would help conservation efforts at horseshoe kelp, clemente and catalina.
    Last edited by Stormcrow; 05-13-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Rod View Post
    2 more times with that attitude and you're going to lose your privaleges and your gear mister........but, with a smile.

Gotta support SC on this one.

Japo :mrgreen:

Ah yes. Now I see.
    If they are closing areas after educated research, there is likely a reason for it and I'd have to support their reasoning. Looks like I didn't know it but I'm with SC on this one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HBJapo View Post
    2 more times with that attitude and you're going to lose your privaleges and your gear mister........but, with a smile.

Gotta support SC on this one.

Japo :mrgreen:
    Yes Officer,
    I understand officer.
    So I have two more times :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Im just dissagreeing, Please dont flame me. I would hate to see these spots closed too. But Im sure if they do, it will be for a very good reason. It will protect fishing for all of us in the future.

I am all about conservation for fresh water fish as well. I did graduate work in the field. LMB are a species that are easily released and their populations easily monitored. Rockfish, on the other hand, cannot be released a majority of the time due to drastic depth change problems. Scientists are very concerned about MVP (Minimum Viable Population) If a population falls below that mathematically calculated number, a series of events ensue called the "extinction vortex" which leads to the total extinction of a population in that area. This is what scientists are trying to avoid at all costs.

I hope it never comes to that in our local waters. Perhaps more stringent rules would help conservation efforts at horseshoe kelp, clemente and catalina.
    Your right Stormcrow.
    Rockfish don't have a chance. I don't fish for them.
    The fishery's in our waters are very bad. I personally think we are allowed to keep to many fish of certain species. Or maybe were allowed to keep to small of fish. Maybe the commercial guys are whats causing the problem. I'm not the expert.
    Looks whats happening with the Bonita now. Fishings been slow for a long time.
    All of a sudden some good fighting fish move into our waters.
    Now everybody's targeting them. No catch and release.
    People keeping 5 or more fish weighing near 15lbs ea. What percentage of anglers actually like the taste of Bonita? Maybe 10%. Theres going to be a lot of wasted life.
    Same things going to happen with the Barracuda when they show.

Sorry for the flame.
    Didnt read the post close enough. (Rockfishing Grounds)
    I over reacted thinking they would be closing off an entire area for any type fishing. Like WSB and Yellowtail. Like some areas of the Channel Islands are closed.
    Just pisses me off. Being a responsible angler and then having our waters closed for our use.
    Keeping one or two quality fish for table fair lasting up to three weeks is not over fishing in my books.

Guess my post should have read.
    Rockfishing grounds up North Closed?
    So What, There only rockfish.
    Let the little critters live :lol:

I would think using circle hooks and having one of them dehookers would help catch and release efforts for most fish.
    Last edited by Tail Chaser; 05-13-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: added stuff

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast