Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panga rods and reels

Default Panga rods and reels

I'm going to Cabo at the end of July for a week with the gf. I will be able to fish one day. I'm taking some irons for surface and yoyo fishing. My question is what kind of rods and reels do they have on a basic panga and should I bring my own reels? I am not taking down my own rods. I am staying at the Royal Solaris in San Jose del Cabo.

Thanks

Never fished on a panga boat before but from what I heard from a few friends, just use the boat equipment. They are usually good to top notch gear.

Default Pangas and rods and reels

From my experience 2 years ago i went with the guys who let me check out the equipment first and actually see it ... there were some others who would tell you it was top of the line stuff but it wasnt available to see??? from what i saw Penn rods and Shimano reels were the favorite combos down there , again that was 2 years ago.I hope this helps you out some.

BassinChef

Thanks guys. If they have Penn rods and Shimano reels then I will be pretty happy.

Like many had said, ask to see the panga and tackle that you will be using. Most gear will be in O.K. condition, but it will most likely be over-sized. If you can, rather than going thru a broker at the dock. Ask the hotel if they have a co-op or fleet that they sponser. You will find that the boat, crew and equipment will be in much better shape. It will mean a few more dollars, but it will be well spent.

ps.........if you can take some tuna feathers, bait catchers and hooks. You will make friends

miguel

Miguel,

Would you advise me to take my Torium 20 and 30 and just use their rods? Also, cool idea about donating some Sabikis and feathers! Thanks

Dean, just in case I would start practicing how to fish with a budweiser can. Most importantly, learn how to adjust the drag.

Thanks Juan,

I've seen kids fishing like that in Cabo and they were catching fish too. Maybe I should blow off panga fishing and just fish from the beach with a Coors Light can. Cheaper!!!
    Last edited by deanhall32; 05-14-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Dean,
    I assume that you'll be fishing from Gordo Banks.
    You could contact them (Eric is really quick with responses!!) to find out exactly what they offer. Generally they will set you up with a couple Seeker/Calstar troll rods with Shimano TLDs and Penn 113/114 reels.

It'll get the job done.

Don't forget to bring a cooler with you!! You're gonna want to bring home some fish. You are allow up to 50# and it'll count as a piece of luggage. Keep under 50# though cause you'll get charge for over weight luggage!!

And lastly, don't you dare forget to bring a camera!!! We expect to see pics of the the girlfriend...oops...I mean the pics of the fish!! LOL!!

FJ74

Have fun......

GD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast