Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Thresher - La Jolla

1. Default Big Thresher - La Jolla

After wanting to go sharkin for 3 weeks, I finally get my butt off out bed to go sharkin.
    Me and my friend Vue went out of oceanside, made bait in short order and boated all the way to La jolla in 3-5 foot swell, so much for NOAAA 2ft or less prediction.

We started trolling the Canyon and pick a little guy about 80lbs, let that one go, and decided to go a little deeper in search of bigger one.

After trolling for about 2 hours, i was ready to for anything, and even prayed for a sub 100 pound fish. Then the Tiagra 50WLRS goes off stripping 100 yards of line instantly. Fight was on, and I tell you it was on, another 300 yards came off. We started backing the baot to chase it. After switching off reeling over 1.5 hours, all I feel is dead weight, we knew it was a big fish, but damn reeling a dead fish sucks.

It took a both of us to slowly inch this fish to the surface. When it came up we fly gaff it and that is when problems start to arise, we can't get this fish in the boat. Called 2 others\ boat, 3 guys jumped on boards and get in onboard, until I stuck the flying gaff in my leg,

Anyway, made our way back to the dock in Oceanside and couldn't get the fish weight because we could not get it off the boat.

DOn't know how much it weight but everyone says it is over 450lbs. You be the judge. It taped at 14ft.

BY THE WAY IT WAS A MALE SO DON'T FEEL TOO BAD

full bendo on custom Graphite USA predator rod

whatever it takes to put pressure

Last edited by Normalfellow; 05-12-2008 at 07:22 PM.

Jesus, thats a nasty wound! Hope you get better.

Good job on the threasher. Thats a once in a lifetime catch! :cool:

WOW, simply awesome, congrats on a fine catch! :D

HOLY CRAP!!! you guys are the Shizzznit! Great work out there.....

Great story/report/pics/battle scar's. Way to go on getting that thing in the boat. Add the pic of your stitches :cool: That is deff 450 plus. :thumb: good eats.

Off topic, I just purchased a pair of those shimano deck boots. What are you thought's on them. GREAT, GOOD, FAIR?

KILLA

Default Big Thresher

I like the sarcasm with "it was a male don't feel too bad"..thats funny!

Kinda sucks that the gaf went into your leg, would have been better if it went through the side of your head!

Sorry..I'm a C&R guy!! if I feel like having thresher shark I go to my local market and buy some!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by KILLA View Post
    Great story/report/pics/battle scar's. Way to go on getting that thing in the boat. Add the pic of your stitches :cool: That is deff 450 plus. :thumb: good eats.

Off topic, I just purchased a pair of those shimano deck boots. What are you thought's on them. GREAT, GOOD, FAIR?

KILLA
    I think they are great...at times they are a little low cut but for the most part, very light weight and very comfortable.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by THarry65 View Post
    I like the sarcasm with "it was a male don't feel too bad"..thats funny!

Kinda sucks that the gaf went into your leg, would have been better if it went through the side of your head!

Sorry..I'm a C&R guy!! if I feel like having thresher shark I go to my local market and buy some!

the fish died an hour and 15 min into the fight. but they sure do taste great.

Default Big Thresher

You mean they're not like a trout? Why did it die an hour into the fight?

Quote Originally Posted by THarry65 View Post
    You mean they're not like a trout? Why did it die an hour into the fight?
    Big threshers will sometimes fight so hard that they die from exhaustion. It is not uncommon and there is nothing that the angler can do to prevent it.

Congratulations on such an awesome thresher! I really feel the need to get my first t-shark after seeing this report.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast