Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May 18-22

Default May 18-22

Heading up in about three weeks (June Lake, Big Rock resort) on our annual trip. Looking to really jig fish alot this year, and would like some direction on were (lakes and locations on the lakes), technique and gear........

Quote Originally Posted by Procure kid View Post
    Heading up in about three weeks (June Lake, Big Rock resort) on our annual trip. Looking to really jig fish alot this year, and would like some direction on were (lakes and locations on the lakes), technique and gear........
    PM Sent..

But for everyone else... Use Thomas Bouyants in Gold/Red and reel it in slow and you should have no troubles hooking up with 100s of rainbows. If you want to catch some browns, swap out for the rainbow trout pattern thomas bouyant and you'll definitely hook up.

June lake loop is probably the most consistant area and most diverse are in the sierras to fish. It has world class stream fishing in Rush Creek and some of the best shots at big fish with Gull and June. Grant is probably the most underrated lake in the sierras. I'd go to Grant 40 times over before going to crowley. Crowley gets hype because of the money making the "Crowley Fish Camp" makes and surrounding shops. Trust me, you won't regret fishing June Lake loop

Fish the "rock" at gull with large CD 9 Rapalas, and Thomas Bouyants. If you like dunking bait, Yellow or Salmon Egg flavor power bait works amazing all year in the sierras. The key is use small bait, huge globs of power bait will get you nothing. It is definitely true in the sierras, big lure = big fish. Although I won't give away ALL my secrets, I will tell you that the above is pretty damned good advice.

I've found that slow reeling and natural presentation is key in the sierras. Fish quiet spots, it doesn't take but a few minutes to walk to a quiet drop off in most of the lakes in the sierras. So to sum it up

Lures to use

Lakes:

Thomas Bouyants Gold/Red in smaller sizes for rainbows.. rainbow pattern for browns
    (side note) I've found that the watermelon patterns were working great at the end of last year... check those out too
    Streams
    Panther Martins Gold blade with black body and red hooks
    Rainbow trout pattern panther martin .. if you can.. buy the smaller pm's because the bigger ones just don't seem to get the fish interested

Jigs

Any trout trap,lip ripperz,etc will work. Just stick to natural colors... browns,greens,greys,yellows

Baits

Power Bait in Yellow Salmon Egg, Rainbow, Orange on size 18 trebles 4 foot leader when it's cold, 1 foot leader when it's hot

Flies
    Olive Matuka
    Black Gnat with red tail
    Wooley Bugger with gold bead heads
    Fish these flies with bubble/fly combo set up and you're golden. Fish it slow!

Salmon eggs and Nightcralwers are very very effective in the sierras, but key is small worms and single salmon eggs .. don't get crazy with the sizes.. they like small baits.

Scents

Garlic
    Roe
    Corn
    Nuff said.

Good luck and happy fishing.
    Last edited by Badfish2; 04-22-2008 at 01:58 AM.

Oh and for directions use google maps

Spots to look for on the lakes

June: Rocks along shore lines and steep drop offs.. so basically the north or south side of the lake, east and west sides are shallow = no no

Gull: Find the "Rock' Fish toward the reeds

Silver: I avoid this lake, too many people but I like to fish the inlet

Grant, west side of the lake just off the road .. from the road look down at the lake and look for drop offs in the water. They're easy to see, the closer to the dam the better

Rush creek, pick your spot...it's alll good. The pools get deeper as you get closer to mono lake = bigger fish

I'll be up there that week May 18-22. I will be hitting Red's Meadow, Rainbow Falls, Convict Lake, Lake mary, Lake George, etc... Float tubing a lot also. Good Luck. Maybe we'll run into each other out there.

FISH ON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MAN VS WILD View Post
    I'll be up there that week May 18-22. I will be hitting Red's Meadow, Rainbow Falls, Convict Lake, Lake mary, Lake George, etc... Float tubing a lot also. Good Luck. Maybe we'll run into each other out there.

FISH ON!!!
    Good luck if you plan to float tube in the mammoth basin. The only lake you may be able to tube at that time of year will be Twin Lakes. Also with the heavy snowfall the road down to Red's Meadow probably won't be open to mid-june.

We will be staying at "Big Rock Resort" ....hittin the loop in the afternoon, Crowley, Bridgeport during the day! See ya up there.......

Default Jigs ???

I'm interested in using Jigs as well.

What kind of retrive, Slow twitch??

Rattle bobber or Splitshot???

Leeder length?

Type ]is berkly the best??

Favorite Color??

When & how to change color? Time of day , Water clearity Ect???

Any other Jig specific info would be Great

[QUOTE=pattitude;178154]I'm interested in using Jigs as well.

What kind of retrive, Slow twitch??

Rattle bobber or Splitshot??? Either one

Leeder length? Depends on water depth, but 4 feet to be safe

Type ]is berkly the best?? bait? It's popular, but not the best

Favorite Color?? Green,Smoke,Yellow

When & how to change color? Time of day , Water clearity Ect???

Any other Jig specific info would be Great Don't worry about clarity, water is always clear up there, use natural colors. Gold,Yellow,Brown, Green

Quote Originally Posted by Badfish2 View Post
    PM Sent..

But for everyone else... Use Thomas Bouyants in Gold/Red and reel it in slow and you should have no troubles hooking up with 100s of rainbows. If you want to catch some browns, swap out for the rainbow trout pattern thomas bouyant and you'll definitely hook up.

June lake loop is probably the most consistant area and most diverse are in the sierras to fish. It has world class stream fishing in Rush Creek and some of the best shots at big fish with Gull and June. Grant is probably the most underrated lake in the sierras. I'd go to Grant 40 times over before going to crowley. Crowley gets hype because of the money making the "Crowley Fish Camp" makes and surrounding shops. Trust me, you won't regret fishing June Lake loop

Fish the "rock" at gull with large CD 9 Rapalas, and Thomas Bouyants. If you like dunking bait, Yellow or Salmon Egg flavor power bait works amazing all year in the sierras. The key is use small bait, huge globs of power bait will get you nothing. It is definitely true in the sierras, big lure = big fish. Although I won't give away ALL my secrets, I will tell you that the above is pretty damned good advice.

I've found that slow reeling and natural presentation is key in the sierras. Fish quiet spots, it doesn't take but a few minutes to walk to a quiet drop off in most of the lakes in the sierras. So to sum it up

Lures to use

Lakes:
    Thomas Bouyants Gold/Red in smaller sizes for rainbows.. rainbow pattern for browns
    (side note) I've found that the watermelon patterns were working great at the end of last year... check those out too
    Streams
    Panther Martins Gold blade with black body and red hooks
    Rainbow trout pattern panther martin .. if you can.. buy the smaller pm's because the bigger ones just don't seem to get the fish interested

Jigs
    Any trout trap,lip ripperz,etc will work. Just stick to natural colors... browns,greens,greys,yellows

Baits

Power Bait in Yellow Salmon Egg, Rainbow, Orange on size 18 trebles 4 foot leader when it's cold, 1 foot leader when it's hot

Flies
    Olive Matuka
    Black Gnat with red tail
    Wooley Bugger with gold bead heads
    Fish these flies with bubble/fly combo set up and you're golden. Fish it slow!

Salmon eggs and Nightcralwers are very very effective in the sierras, but key is small worms and single salmon eggs .. don't get crazy with the sizes.. they like small baits.

Scents

Garlic
    Roe
    Corn
    Nuff said.

Good luck and happy fishing.
    Great post Badfish2, thanks for all the great info on baits and spots to try them at....I am going to put it to use very soon!

TD

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    Great post Badfish2, thanks for all the great info on baits and spots to try them at....I am going to put it to use very soon!

TD
    No problem at all man, i love to help out. I want to see some big numbers out of the sierrra this year even if it's not from me. Although I do hope to break my record fish of 4lbs. I'm due! I can catch 200 fish a day but they haven't been that big. I need to get one of those monsters, I'm hoping Gull will be the lake this year

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast