Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: newbie question on tubes

Default newbie question on tubes

I posted this on the genereal board, gonna try here for some more feedback.

My son has been wanting a float tube for some time now...he is 9. My problem is that if he gets one, then I need to get one, this is a problem because I dont know how to swim. So here is the real question...can you fall off a float tube? Do you get strapped onto the tube? Im not afraid of falling in, Ima have to get some kind of PFD...if they come in 3x or 4x. My concern is that he might slip/fall off and Im gonna have a hard time getting him on.

Can some of you float tubers give me some insight on this issue?

I tube all the time and would be more than happy to fish with him and show him all the safety measures he needs to know.

There is a spot in LB where he could safely learn about his tube, catch fish, and you could supervise from shore the first couple times.

Going this week and weekend.

I fish freshwater too if he wants to try lake trout or bass.

I've been 2Bing for a long time and would love to get a young guy into the sport!

To answer your question though - tubes are pretty safe and as long as he has a PFD nearby and knows not to panic he should be alright. I cant say tubes dont pop - I had one pop, but in 15+ years of tubing it has only happened once.

I do not recommend tubing alone unless you have some serious time under your belt.

Hey bets5150 me and my son who is 11 float tube around the LB area and cabrillo beach. If you ever wanna join us p.m me or I'll pm you next time we go out. As for pfd I strongly recommend one for each of you
    Wall mart carries some nice ones for kids and big grown men. We use the ones w/ no pads on the shoulders as they tend to get in the way on fishing. later....

ritzy

ritzy and 2bin...thanks for the info and invite. I will be getting the tubes closer to trout season as we usually fish the local lakes. I will definately take you guys up on your offer.