Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: 8' Vs 9' Pontoon Boats

Default 8' Vs 9' Pontoon Boats

I have an 8' pontoon boat & looking to buying a 9' pontoon the Colorado XT.

Is there much difference on how a foot longer pontoon will handle? Will it track better or what are the advantages or disadvantages?

I talked to some people about the Colorado XT & there are quite a few upgrades from the previous model. The air valves are the same ones that are on my Outcast Fish Cat Streamer XL, so the leak problems from the air valves is no more. The stitching problems have been resolved also. The side bags are removable unlike the older model that the bags were sown on. The anchor plate you can move to either the right or left side. Also the denier is thicker on top & bottom than on my Streamer XL. And the oars are 7' instead of 6' on the Streamer XL.

Since Cabelas around my area will have these on sale for the $100 less & I found a buyer for my Streamer XL, I think I'm going to be getting the Colorado XT.

I'm just wondering if having a 9' pontoon will improve on the tracking.

Thanks

Hey G, my ODC 1018 has 10ft. pontoons, i installed my own standing deck..

I'm 6'5" an about 300lb. i have no problem standing, longer pontoons will give you more stability, as far as tracking you will have to leave your ores in the water to keep the toon in a straight line when using a trolling motor...

the one draw back with having longer pontoons is that they catch more wind and tend to drift allot, i use my anchor an trolling motor to keep my toon in a spot when fishing.

hope this helps ?

I'm sure we will hear from Ron, he knows all about this stuff.

ToonZilla

FISH ON !

Atta Boy Z dawg, you don't need me. Hey Ghost, like Z said fore and aft stability is the biggest gain between 8 ft and 9 ft.This is important if you plan on installing a standing deck so the toon doesn't want to flip over on it's nose. Also you should gain some weight capacity although not a bunch. Tracking will improve but it will be minimal. One of Z's post has a picture of his oar tiedown that will make you toon track when under power. If he would get off his butt and weld my prototype daggerboard up we would have that problem solved :D. You will definitly notice a smoother track when rowing. Good luck with the new toon and post up some pics. Ron