Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Invasion of the 800-pound pinnipeds

Default info outdated

info outdated
    Last edited by sky; 06-02-2021 at 12:37 AM.

I USE TO LIKE THEM @ SEA WORLD AS KID BUT AFTER THOSE SALTY DOGS HAVE TAKEN 1 TOOOO MANY OF MY MOSS BACKS/LOG CUDDA I HATE THEM!!! DEATH TO THEM ALL!!!!!:2guns: :finger: J/K.......JUST SOME?:twisted:

are wrist rockets using paintballs allowed as deterrents?

When the larger sea lions haul out on the swimstep of a vessel they often damage the swimstep, and the hull as well.

One time while diving at Crescent Bay in Laguna Beach with 3 other commercial divers we had a crazy experience happen to us. We approached Seal Rock and due to the large number of Sea Lions that had hauled out there, we were being very cautious. We stayed far enough away to prevent them from leaving the rock and were having a great time watching them watch us. We circled the rock and as we slowly made our way to the southeast side a small ultralight airplane buzzed the rock from the northwest side causing all the sea lions to abandon the rock in unison.

HOLY COW!!!! Talk about exciting. We were immediately surrounded by about 20 very agitated sea lions. And wouldn't you know it, the one day I decided to spearfish for Halibut I had my speargun with me, uncocked at this point, and no camera. Talk about dissapoinment. I would have had some really great shots if I had only brought the camera that day instead of the gun. We were looking all around us and everywhere we looked there were sea lions blowing bubbles in our faces, a sign of aggression, bumping into us, and generally scaring the pi$$ out of us. We were lucky that they didn't become any more aggressive then they did because we were so outnumbered we wouldn't of stood a chance. I think they were at least as startled as we were. We all saw the plane at about the same time. It took no more than 3 or 4 seconds and all of them were in the water. I put the regulator in my mouth just in case. I looked down and it was wall to wall sea lions. Awesome!!!

It was an experience I will never forget. If the pilot intended to drive the sea lions off the rock or not I do know. I am not even sure he knew that we were on the other side of the rock because we never even saw him before he came flying over the rock. It seems as though he knew what would happen when he performed this stunt. He was probably in violation of the MMPA of 1972.

My friends couldn't believe what they had just seen afterwards. I was used to diving with lots of sea lions and seals, but not that many at once, and certainly never that close. I have had many a sea lion tug at my fins while night diving for lobster off the Palos Verdes Point and the Channel Islands. I felt pretty lucky that day to have been a witness to the event and also to have excaped unscatched.

One_Leg

I thought a wrist-rocket or paintball gun was OK....

Can we yell at them? Or is that prohibited too b/c they are worried about their feelings getting hurt?!?! :p:evil::rofl:

It was really sad seeing a small juvenile sea lion with a large gash on it's neck from some fishing line in which it had become entangled. Me and another diver attempted to corral it into a net in order to lift it into our boats which we placed on either side of the boat it had hauled itself out on. It weighed no more than 60 to 70 pounds and looked to be very emaciated from not eating enough. We informed the Coast Guard and they informed us that that the Friends of the Sea Lion people were gonna rescue it right away. I may hate the way that they steal bait and fish from anglers, but it sickened me to see that suffering that the poor critter was going through. All alone, unable to feed, getting weaker by the minute. I hope it didn't die in somebodies sailboat and stink the place up. They sometimes haul out onto sailboats that have a shallow gunwale.

Yeah SKY, that's what I'm talking about........only a LOT CLOSER!!!

I love the music that accompanied the video too. :cool:

Wagner was a great composer.

Some 500lb bulls were sinking boats in there slips in Newport Harbor a few years back.
    All the owners could do is put there lawn chairs out on the swim steps.
    Sad sight seeing patio furniture floating around some big boats in there slips.
    And a couple of sea lions putting a 6" bow in the swimstep.

Excuse me Mr Sea Lion.
    But your sinking my 300K sportfisher.

Darn, He wont leave.
    Guess I'll call the insurance Co.
    Let them know the boat will probably be sunk by tomorrow :angry:

I would think that a set of those things that pop your tires when you drive into the exit in a parking lot woulod keep them at bay. That can't be illegal, can it?

I think everything is illegal.
    Except paying tax's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast