Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Invasion of the 800-pound pinnipeds

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Nope. Thats bait. A one biter by the looks of Moby.
    That right there is BEAUTIFUL! Either a Blue or Fin. What a rush that had to be.

My pop was always nervous about whales everytime we crossed over to Cat on the sailboat. I told him, "Dude - they know you're there LONG before you see them" and sure enough, one would bust surface just to either side, just off the bow or just off the stern with plenty of room to spare. Always a thrill, too!

In a yak, it would be exhilarating to be that close. But, then, I'm a whale freak...yet smart enough to not get in the middle of a big ring of bubbles - a sure fire sign that Humpies are gonna be surfacing for chow!

Ang

Quote Originally Posted by sky View Post
    Holy Cow!

I figured a sea lion would have a pretty nasty bite. It actually bent your paddle! wow!

How did you make it go away? Did it happen in August or September?

That's when the lady I spoke to said the males were the most aggressive.

Did you have fish on board your kayak?

Did you see the TV news clip of the girl who was wake boarding just outside the break wall and a sea lion jumped out of the water and bite hold of her in the thigh?

sky
    i got away using one side of the paddle and paddling as fast as i could to a private dock and waiting for them to leave it was around october cuz we went out after my bday, an no fish aboard my buddy and i were just taking a paddle around the bay

Default dogs

There is a guy on another board " Lokie" who posted some pictures of a sea lion attacking him and his friend while float tubing in Long Beach. I think it was last year, but he had several pics of the seal w/ its head out of the water, mouth open , going after his friend.

Lakewood / Long Beach, CA (originally from NJ)

I believe the story went something like ...
    Lokey was out with PaintnFish at the concrete jungle with PaintnFish's son. This sea lion had gone after PnFs son. I believe the story went something like PnF went to protect his son and Lokey lured it away then cast an iron at its head hooking it in the eye. The were all in float tubes.

Also in Cabrillo beach too the sea lions are becoming a nuisance.

Which is safer ????
    Either way a sea lion has your leg, so really neither

sea lion attacks us,..

LOL! just what i wrote in the thread subject, a damn sea lion attacked us today while we were tubing under the pier today, it was me, Ron and his son Ben, it was real scary cause the SL was going after Ben, actually after it was hell of funny but during the attack it was crazy and it wasnt once! it happen twice by the same dog, the first time Ben yelled out to me, when i turned around there was a dog just a foot away from him staring him down, i guess it was thinking "i could take him",..i yelled out to Ron for help and told Ben to start whacking it with his Rod, wam! wam! wam! the dog still was circling around little Ben, i tossed some squid to the dog to distract him and told Ben to head for the rocks, then the dog starting going after me and Ron, we were whacking away and then poof! the dog was gone, we had some laughs right after about it, Ben was stuck to us and wasnt going nowhere, thats cool,..so we started to fish again, catching some toads and pig rattlers, everything was back to normal, i hooked into a fat sculpin and that was when the dog breached the surface and he started going off on us rabid! he was trying to eat my reels, go after Ben and was bumping Ron, **** was just happening so fast, i tossed my sculpin at him which he just ripped apart! Ron and Ben headed to the rocks where the dog followed and was trying to push them out of the water! Ron jumped in his tube and got the dog to follow him, this is where i took the pic, too bad i didnt get a pic of when Ron got both his rods, waited for the dog to get real close and then POW! cracked him in the head with the butt of the rods, then it just went under, i was all quiet trying to get all my lines out of the tangles and ****, Ron called out to me and i responded "im ok, wheres the Dog?" which he then showed himself right in front of me, yikes, i put both my rods away and reeled in my lead head plastic all the way to the tip of the rod, i moved out to the open with the dog following me, he wasnt getting close enough for me to get a hit, now if you had a lead-head you know the idea i had, finally i stuck my fingers out into the water and called the pooch over, sucker charge right at 'em, now i was going to have only one shot at this and i better make a dead center hit! WACK! got the sucker on the head hook up! line snaps and he was under again, now we were quiet for a second to see if i got him where i was aiming, not 10 seconds pass the dog comes out the water with my fire tiger pattern fish trap plastic with the yellow lead head stuck right in his eye! BOOYAH! that dog was shaking his head and called it a day, cause he went under and we never saw him again,..man, it was a scary ordeal, because if it was me and Ron it be cool, but little Ben was there, so we had to do something to get this dog off us,..so if you see a dog with my plastic it in its eye, kill that rabid SOB, we went straight to fishing right after, but still it kinda killed the day, we kept looking over our shoulders for that dog, this is the first time something like this has ever happen to me, it was pretty crazy.

Im not really a violent person but would not hesitate sticking a gaff in
    it's head if it happened again, should be no difference as self defense
    in a attempted rape.

Man I never heard of anything like that, crazy stuff. How about pepper spray, for when they pop their heads out of the water? I know it wouldn't last long but it may burn enough for them to leave you alone for a while. How about painting you kayak to look like a great white??? lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123