Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bishop Canals?

Have never fished the canals but am curious if you can legally fish them in the off season. I had people say yes and no.

Default Izaak Walton Park

There is a canal that is just down the street from Izaak Walton park that they normally throw some trout in. Ive had good days there when the creek has not been so good to me. Like shootin FIsh in a Barrell ;0)

Quote Originally Posted by retired/lasd View Post
    Have never fished the canals but am curious if you can legally fish them in the off season. I had people say yes and no.
    The only waters designated as open for trout fishing during the off-season are the owens, PVR and the newly opened waters like Hot Creek and the Walker River. The off-season is actually a closure of the "General Trout Season" so if you're ripping buzz baits in a canal clearly fishing for largemouth bass where LMB are known to exist, you wont' get a ticket. I'd probably be careful dunking a crawler in one of the canals that has a lot of browns in it though. Still kind of wishy washy though since the canals aren't specifically mentioned anywhere in the regs...that I've seen at least. First time I see a warden out and about I'll ask.

I agree, be careful what you're fishing with. You get a trout to strike a nightcrawler it doesn't matter if you were going for bass.

Default Bishop Bass

here is a pic of my buddy Rob fom opening day last year we stopped at buckley ponds for a little brake from trout fishing and he landed this nice largemouth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rob.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	2522  

Default Canal

I have a friend that lives in Bishop we go to the end of his street and go either left or right and fish the canals with crickets for all the Browns you want to c & r. Lots of fun

Quote Originally Posted by jworthylal42 View Post
    here is a pic of my buddy Rob fom opening day last year we stopped at buckley ponds for a little brake from trout fishing and he landed this nice largemouth

Very nice!!! I love bass fishing up there.

Scattered pockets of small mouth as well from Haiwee up to Bishop !

Ed

Haiwee closed to all fishing now, bummer! :( :( :(

SP70

Quote Originally Posted by Seatech View Post
    Very nice!!! I love bass fishing up there.

Scattered pockets of small mouth as well from Haiwee up to Bishop !

Ed
    I never got around to fishing Haiwee before it closed... it sucks because that looked like an all species lake. U ever catch anything there? I'm yet to catch a smallmouth up there but im gona try to change that this season.

Yeah I did fish there a number of times before it closed and we found LMB, SMB, bluegill, Sacramento perch and rainbows. "Rumor has it", if you have the LA Water & Power connections you "may" be able to get in there.

Hey Sparky70, I see you live in Ridgecrest, do you know Daryl S. ?

Ed
    Last edited by Seatech; 04-25-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast