Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bishop Canals?

Default Bishop Canals?

Has anyone ever fished the Bishop canals? I know I have always seen some canals when I drive up 395 in Bishop and make a right on Line St. Has anyone ever fished these canals that are just outside the residential area? These canals are a few minutes before you get to the Owens River... right at the edge of the residential areas.

Let me know if you have ever fished it and what has come out of there. I have always been curious and wanted to try it out next time I go.

I have, and there are Bass in there and some trout. Lots of locals hit up those canals

I've personally seen or caught bass, bluegill and carp. Some canals have more fish than others and a few have some nice browns from what I hear.

Yeah, i've heard about the browns in there. I haven't caught any though. There's a nice canal on the way up 395 that I keep seeing that I'm going to give a shot, it's not too far after Independence.

Tthanks for the info so far. On my visit last May, my brothers and I stopped by for a few minutes and saw some huge fish in there. We couldn't verify what type of species they were, and they didn't look like carp. There was a bunch of junk in there and it was mid day and those fish didn't want to have any of our different baits.

I don't know what was in there but I know it was big. My older brother, 35, was jumping up and down like a little girl and scared them off. And this is my thuggish brother so you know those fish were gigantic.

Try using baby night crawlers on a small snell hook when they get hard to catch

The canal I fished (last year for the first time) was on the street just behind K-Mart. Not sure of the name. The canal comes from the north crosses under the street, parallels the street for about 300 yards before turning and heading south. There were lots of trout. Largest caught was about 16 inches. Walking south from the road, there were many schools of fish. I used a holographic rainbow trout Panther Martin. It was the hot ticket that day. Caught and released probably 15 in 1-1/2 hrs. Would be useful to use a long rod (8 ft), as the sides of the canal are sloped and keeping the line out in the middle of the canal works best because there were a lot of weeds and stuff on the edges.

Yeah that rainbow panther martin is definitely the ticket, I bought 50 bucks worth of that lure for the opener.

Default buckley ponds

there is place called buckley ponds. coming up 395 turn right on Line st and drive just past the cemetary and make a right on the first dirt road then follow the creek till you see the handicap ramp and your there lots of Bass and bluegill also caught carp and catfish

Quote Originally Posted by jworthylal42 View Post
    there is place called buckley ponds. coming up 395 turn right on Line st and drive just past the cemetary and make a right on the first dirt road then follow the creek till you see the handicap ramp and your there lots of Bass and bluegill also caught carp and catfish
    Cool man, thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. That cemetary area is freak as hell. I fish that part of the owens there where the bridge is.. nice spot for some trout.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast