Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galvaston, Texas - FJ74 Ninja Style

Default Galvaston, Texas - FJ74 Ninja Style

So, as planned I went to Texas for my business trip. The long week started in Dallas, then Austin, and finally Houston. I drove a total of 675 miles this week and only filled the gas tank twice! Highway mileage is awesome!!

Anyway, before driving over to Houston, I drove an extra 20 miles out of my way to Buda, Texas. Here I would go to...

Of course, like I was gonna drive past this?!?!
    I needed to get some intel regarding the fishing in Houston and asked Jeremy, better known as the Houston Fishin' Junkie!! He was chock full of knowledge, and you can tell he really enjoyed telling me about it. If you ever get a chance to stop by Cabela's in Buda, Texas...he's your man!!

After spending time and money at Cabela's, I'm off to Houston!
    3.5 hours later, 11:30pm I'm in Houston. I do my work duties on Thursday and the long awaited Ninja session was to happen later that night.

After writing my report for the day, I head out to "Sea Wolf" park on Galvaston Island about an hour from my hotel. I pull up at 8:30pm only to find the park closed... oh well. I punch in my next target on the GPS and 30 minutes later...

How cool is that?!? A pier dedicated to fishing!! Not just a pier that you can fish from, but a pier with a tackle shop!! I met a nice couple, Nancy and Elias, who were slaying fish as I'm talking to them! AWESOME!!

After trying several different setups:
    a. lead head with a gulp shrimp
    b. lead head with a frozen shrimp

I found that for the type of fish that were coming over the rails, a 1/0 Gamakatsu J-hook with frozen shrimp using a 3/4oz lead head with Gulp shrimp as a weight was the key. I only used the 3/4oz lead head because I didn't have any lead sinkers. But I think the added scent from the Gulp helped!!

I WAS NOT SKUNKED THIS NIGHT!!
    That is the first of half a dozen "Hard Heads" landed that night. I've never heard of a "Hard Head" and looking at this fish, you'd think you've gone crazy!! It looks just like a CATFISH!!

Then I get hit again, this time something a little different...

This one is a "Gaff Top". It's essentially a Hard Head with a one long dorsal fin. Beautiful!!

You can see the difference between the Hard Head...

Anyway, after about 6 Hard Heads and 6 Gaff Tops, I look at my watch to realize it's 12am...DANG!! Time really does fly when you're having fun!!
    So for about 3 hours, Galvaston treated me to a great night of landing fish that I've never seen in my life, meeting some really nice people and just plain ol' fun!!!

Thank you Galvaston!!
    Thank you Jeremy at Cabela's!!

Can't wait till the next trip....Maryland and Boston!!

FJ74

Glad You Enjoy,d My Old Stomping Grounds,,,,,,,,,,makes Me Homesick!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,born In Victoria Tx Myself,,,just A Little Inland From There

Galveston! Home of Whataburger!!

Sounds like you had a little TX style adventure Joe! Good job on the gaffish.....perhaps next time the trout or drum will be out. Back in the day, the multiple scampi rigs were the hot ticket.

See you around,

Sansou

Cool road trip Joe. Glad you were able to beat the skunk.

You are a fishing fool!! You carry your rod and reel everywhere you go don't you Joe? Is it one of those telescopic rods?? Very interesting report!!

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    Glad You Enjoy,d My Old Stomping Grounds,,,,,,,,,,makes Me Homesick!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,born In Victoria Tx Myself,,,just A Little Inland From There
    I'm glad that you enjoyed the read!

Quote Originally Posted by Sansou View Post
    Galveston! Home of Whataburger!!

Sounds like you had a little TX style adventure Joe! Good job on the gaffish.....perhaps next time the trout or drum will be out. Back in the day, the multiple scampi rigs were the hot ticket.

See you around,

Sansou
    Yeah, I heard that the spawning season for the trout and reds are in May...DANG!! Makes me wanna go back just for that!!

Quote Originally Posted by cappo View Post
    Cool road trip Joe. Glad you were able to beat the skunk.
    Thanx Juan. Even if I did get skunked, I still would have enjoyed myself!

Quote Originally Posted by deanhall32 View Post
    You are a fishing fool!! You carry your rod and reel everywhere you go don't you Joe? Is it one of those telescopic rods?? Very interesting report!!
    Dean, didn't you know?? I have a whole website called the "Fishing Junkie" (Tsuribaka in Japanese)!! LOL!! Yeah, it's a kind of illness...

I didn't take a telescoping rod cause I didn't know what I was gonna get into. So I took a 2-piece 7ft rod that fits perfectly in my luggage and a spinning reel. I think from now on I'm gonna take a 2-piece casting rod and casting reel though.

Wait until May when I go to Boston and Maryland!! From the intel I've been gathering over there it's gonna be exciting!! I've got several people who are going to take me out for some stripers!!!!! :evil:

FJ74

Joe, congrats on the nice threadfin catfish and bullhead!!!..............j/k

How much did ga$ cost there?

Thanks for the out of Sate report FJ74. :cool:

When you going to be out at Irvine Lake next? I still have that gift for you.

TM65

cool trip joe..thanks for posting..did you sashimi those too??haha

Cool catfish dude!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast