Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead Fish, look at your own risk!

Default Dead Fish, look at your own risk!

Chase (Grandson) 6 years old.
    Parker Strip
    1st week in April 2007
    Trolled Rapala Shad Rap CD5, 50' back.

Hook Em young! :lol:
    Fought Em and Brought Em to the boat all by himself!

And yes we kept them and ate them. :shock: He wanted to catch his own fish, and eat it. :wink:
    "Tastes like chicken" Chase sez, after Grandpa cooked it up on the charcoal, wrapped in foil, with salt, pepper, butter, and garlic salt.
    Chase is definately Grandpa's fishin buddy now! (Always was, but he's a lunker hunter now. ) :lol:

Right on Sonny....Nothing wrong with keeping a bass every now and then. Just make sure that Chase knows why we practice c & r 99% of the time.
    Good to see ya folks are still getting out on the water.

Tight Lines to ya folks 8)

I think it's cool that your a grandpa and sharing this beautiful moment...but um....as a member of the C&R Nazi those pics aren't fun to look at

Sonny???

I thought you fell of the edge of the world dude, where you been??? :cry:

Nothing like getting the young ones HOOKED, You are the man when it comes to kids and fishing.. :D

Nice trophies..... :lol: :lol:

I still remember the first bass I caught, cleaned and cooked over a campfire... That had to be about 50 yrs ago...

You Know I am all C&R now.. It comes in time.... :thumb: :group:

Keep up the good work Gramps.. :D

:appl: :appl: WTG!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyMaster
    I think it's cool that your a grandpa and sharing this beautiful moment...but um....as a member of the C&R Nazi those pics aren't fun to look at
    Uhh, yep... like these C&R survivors? Clearlake, Kallifornia, last summer:

Please don't be such a hypocrite. I've cleaned up too damn many fish found rotting in the backwaters, polluting lakes and rivers, while folks go on their merry way thinking they are such "conservationists."
    You touch the fish, you break it's slime. It's like I touch you face, the skin gets ripped off. Then you die from fungus weeks later. Agonising weeks later....
    I've also caught and kept trout with rusty hooks still in their mouths, and fish with funguses.
    But hey, I'm the bad guy. :roll:

I catch and keep about 5 fish a year, on average. Yet I see many fish caught by others, handled, and tossed back. Then a fish hawk takes it, or it winds up blown into the backwaters to bloat and foul the waters.
    So how many do you C&R in a year??? How many of those wind up like the picture, Oh Great Buwanna?
    There's 3. Did you notice? Or did you just see the one? (There is a 4th one at the top of the picture, but since it doesn't show well, I didn't count it.)

I C&R too. But when I do, I don't touch the fishes.
    And please don't tell me you never have kept a fish, or I'll call you damned bass fisherman. Which is a damned liar, actually.

One week of playing, 4 kids fishing on occasion, two adults, 2 fish actually caught, both kept, both eaten. Not wasted. And 3 days apart.

But hey, at least your conscience is clear, right? Your a C&R Nazi. :roll:
    You don't see what happens after the fact....
    You Da Queen of denial... :lol: And your preaching to the choir. :wink:

Here take a second look:

And you want to flip me ***** about eating a couple of fish? :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyEdmonds
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyMaster
    Uhh, yep... like these C&R survivors? Clearlake, Kallifornia, last summer:
    http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/C ... rvivor.jpg

Please don't be such a hypocrite. I've cleaned up too damn many fish found rotting in the backwaters, polluting lakes and rivers, while folks go on their merry way thinking they are such "conservationists."
    You touch the fish, you break it's slime. It's like I touch you face, the skin gets ripped off. Then you die from fungus weeks later. Agonising weeks later....
    I've also caught and kept trout with rusty hooks still in their mouths, and fish with funguses.
    But hey, I'm the bad guy. :roll:

I catch and keep about 5 fish a year, on average. Yet I see many fish caught by others, handled, and tossed back. Then a fish hawk takes it, or it winds up blown into the backwaters to bloat and foul the waters.
    So how many do you C&R in a year??? How many of those wind up like the picture, Oh Great Buwanna?
    There's 3. Did you notice? Or did you just see the one? (There is a 4th one at the top of the picture, but since it doesn't show well, I didn't count it.)

I C&R too. But when I do, I don't touch the fishes.
    And please don't tell me you never have kept a fish, or I'll call you damned bass fisherman. Which is a damned liar, actually.

One week of playing, 4 kids fishing on occasion, two adults, 2 fish actually caught, both kept, both eaten. Not wasted. And 3 days apart.

But hey, at least your conscience is clear, right? Your a C&R Nazi. :roll:
    You don't see what happens after the fact....
    You Da Queen of denial... :lol: And your preaching to the choir. :wink:

Here take a second look:

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/C ... vivor2.jpg

And you want to flip me ***** about eating a couple of fish? :lol:
    Whoes preaching? I said it is a beautiful moment you had with your grandson but as a C&R Nazi those pics are hard to look at. For most passionate bass fisherman those aren't pics we like to look at. As far as your logic goes, it seems to be very tainted and filled with holes. You claim that a majority of bass die because of over handling them prior to catch and release so your solution to it is putting them on a stringer?

Also, those bass you see in those pictures floating are from either inexperienced anglers whom took the fish out of the water for one too many photo ops, or just plain ol simply don't know how to C&R. Or they are from Tourney fisherman who took the fish out too long and then released them. Either way, the problem is taking the fish out too long.

I think it's completely bogus to claim that a majority of bass C&R die afterwards. I have seen numerous posts on FNN alone where different members have caught the same lunker bass with distinctive scars at the same lake on the very same spot. They seemed to have survived just fine.

If your primitive theory was true about bass dying after C&R we'd see TONS of dead bass every day at our local lakes floating. This is clearly not the case.

Also, I have kept catfish and trout, but have never kept a bass (except for stripers). I never keep a bass out of the water for more than a minute unless the tragic event of a gut hook occurs, which on a very rare occasion happened 1 time because I dead sticked a fat ika while I had a nasty birds nest in my bait caster. As I was working the reel, a bass hit it and it took me too long to set the hook and I had the bass out of the water for about 3 minutes while we performed hook surgery. I'm pretty confident that bass died, and guess what? I don't have a clear conscious about it. You can even ask Roger, I told him about how much that bothered me and that I'll never make that mistake again. I didn't even go bass fishing for about a week after that because I felt so guilty for what had happened because of my irresponsibility.

Ultimately, I was not attacking you when I stated my post. I was just saying that it is hard to look at that majestic beast on a stringer like that. But I have respect for what you do, I even took the time to degrade myself by stating Im a 'C&R Nazi'. But you wanted to go there, so here's my response. Good day :D

Default Now I remember why...

..I stopped posting here.

Bones, Nessie, you guys know where I am.
    See Ya!

Default Re: Now I remember why...

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyEdmonds
    ..I stopped posting here.

Bones, Nessie, you guys know where I am.
    See Ya!
    Don't take it personally, again I have respect for what you did. Your obviously a knowledgable fisherman who is showing his grand kids a great time. I have a ton of respect for what your doing, I just simply stated those pictures are hard to look at and you accused us C&R people as 'Queen of denial'.

Don't leave because a few people are jerks like me, stay because guys like Nessie and Bones make this a fun site for you.

Well Im one of those C&R Nazi's also...

But I do make an exception for kids and that "Thrill of Victory" they experience, I also realize there is a learning curve that goes with it..

I preach to those that 'should' know better, in the hope that some of it will stick.......

Sonny has been around a long time and I would never question his judgment.

Besides, look at those faces, Who could deny them a fish???

After they clean a few and gag a time or two, the C&R will make a lot more sense.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast