Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thursday & Friday

Default Thursday & Friday

Thursday:

On his last legs...

Rescued once before, tagged and released:

Friday:

Also on his last legs...

Here comes the Domoic Acid clean up crew:

Just before transporting...fading fast.

On his way to Fort MacArthur for analysis:

I spoke a gal from a wildlife rescue team.

Yesterday she ( Ellen, I think ) said she was with CNN reporters documenting another event of domoic acid. CNN will begin coverage on the subject starting tomorrow.

Forgive me if you all of you have heard this before.

Watching this seal lion die from this looked like a horrible way to pass.
    The ones shown with the cuts under their chins are from losing motor control and banging their chins on the rocks. The one on the rocks pointing his head straight into the air was in that position rocking it's head back and forth for two hours before lying down, then came uncontrollable muscle spasms, frothing at the mouth and labored breathing.

I asked Ellen about the most concentrated areas in So Cal of the acid and she said Long Beach Harbor. Apparently USC has been sampling the waters. She explained the birds so far are the most effected, they will die almost as soon as they ingest the fish with the acid and they are perishing at an alarming rate. Sea lions will go through a longer lasting death starting with losing their cognitive skills. Ellen said that the acid is working on the animals almost like a psycho tropic drug.

When asked about the effect on humans she came up with this analogy;
    Are there oranges with more vitamin C than other oranges, most likely yes. Likewise some fish ingested may have higher levels of the acid than others. Research so far has not revealed whether a single ingestion or cumulative ingestion severely effects humans. There was apparently five million federal dollars recently spent in the Puget Sound area studying the effects on humans and wildlife. When asked about an anecdote for the acid she replied that all they do for the sea lions is to try to hydrate and feed them since they virtually stop eating after the effects begin.

I am not a big fan of sea lions when fishing and I do think there should be population control of some kind soon...what a bad way die.

...yeah, I caught a dink halibut too.

Best post ever on here. Let them suffer.

Holla

Lil ceez

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Ceez
    Let them suffer.

Holla

Worst quote here ever. :?

Holla

i agree with both of them tony...i HATE seals, im not sad to see the population deplete, but at the same time, the suffering sucks....quick deaths would be better.....

thanks for the pics and update. sad news. where was this at?

what the heck is that pic of above the caution pic?? it looks like something one_leg would have on his bbq grill..... :D

xxx

Default Re: Thursday & Friday

Quote Originally Posted by EricU
    Yesterday she ( Ellen, I think ) said she was with CNN reporters documenting another event of domoic acid. CNN will begin coverage on the subject starting tomorrow.

Forgive me if you all of you have heard this before.

Watching this seal lion die from this looked like a horrible way to pass.
    The ones shown with the cuts under their chins are from losing motor control and banging their chins on the rocks. The one on the rocks pointing his head straight into the air was in that position rocking it's head back and forth for two hours before lying down, then came uncontrollable muscle spasms, frothing at the mouth and labored breathing.

I asked Ellen about the most concentrated areas in So Cal of the acid and she said Long Beach Harbor. Apparently USC has been sampling the waters. She explained the birds so far are the most effected, they will die almost as soon as they ingest the fish with the acid and they are perishing at an alarming rate. Sea lions will go through a longer lasting death starting with losing their cognitive skills. Ellen said that the acid is working on the animals almost like a psycho tropic drug.

When asked about the effect on humans she came up with this analogy;
    Are there oranges with more vitamin C than other oranges, most likely yes. Likewise some fish ingested may have higher levels of the acid than others. Research so far has not revealed whether a single ingestion or cumulative ingestion severely effects humans. There was apparently five million federal dollars recently spent in the Puget Sound area studying the effects on humans and wildlife. When asked about an anecdote for the acid she replied that all they do for the sea lions is to try to hydrate and feed them since they virtually stop eating after the effects begin.

I am not a big fan of sea lions when fishing and I do think there should be population control of some kind soon...what a bad way die.

...yeah, I caught a dink halibut too.
    Sad story but very nice update and pictures. Its sad to see another life suffering like that.

you people hating seals sure are a bunch of effing a**holes. you claim to "have respect" for wild life when it comes to you fishing, but eff any thing else uh? real cool.

Quote Originally Posted by kixchad2002
    you people hating seals sure are a bunch of effing a**holes. you claim to "have respect" for wild life when it comes to you fishing, but eff any thing else uh? real cool.
    LOL...FEISTY....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast