Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Surf Fishing For The First Time

Default Surf Fishing For The First Time

Hey guys. I'll be heading out to Seal Beach for a few days at the end of April (22-25) for some work meetings. I've been lurking in this section for a while and I'd like to try my hand at surf fishing. Can anyone maybe clue me in to a few spots to try near Seal Beach? Also, any other tips would be helpful as well. I imagine I can fish early in the morning (meetings don't start until 8) and anytime after about 4:30pm. Thanks in advance.

The Los Alamitos jetty is very good at high tide using ghost shrimp. As far as the surf is concerned, perch action is very slow but there are a ton of rays, sharks and SNGF. If you try for these guys, use heavy tackle and large baits like chovies or whole squid.

Quote Originally Posted by steveg1980 View Post
    I've been lurking in this section for a while

Thats quite the understatement. A year... :rofl::rofl:

Yeah, I know. I've only posted here and there a few times. Mostly in the freshwater areas since I fish those mostly. I posted a while back about my PB LMB and took some serious flak for posting pics of the fish with dirt on it. It was way heavier than I expected and it went crazy, so I dropped it in the dirt. You'd have thought I punched the Virgin Mary. So I decided to keep more to myself. I still fish quite often, I just don't post here because of some of the people on the board.

i swear ive seen a lot of other members post photos of bass with dirt on them or with them laying on the sand etc... whatever...good luck at seal beach, ive had lots of luck on the shovel noses and rays there but not much else.

Looking at Google earth, it looks like there is a pier there. I could try fishing off of the pier or maybe under/beside it. There's also a jetty further down the beach I can try. Lastly, it looks like a river flows into the ocean right there too, and I believe I read somwhere that the mouths of rivers are good places to surf fish. Anyway, I was hoping someone would have some spots they frequent and wouldn't mind passing on. Any other advice is also welcome, such as types of lures, weights, and techniques. Thanks again.

Your best bet would be to go to Big Fish Bait&Tackle and pick up some ghosties.
    The address is 1780 Pacific Coast Hwy Seal Beach, CA.
    The pier is a good place for a c-rigged ghostie. Try right past the surf and just bait n wait. You should be able to pick off a few croakers or perch.
    As for the people who commented on his bass, shame on you.
    Keep on posting no matter what anyone says, sadly, theres always haters.

Calico Killer Kevin

Hey steveg1980,

I have fished Seal Beach pier a lot and fished the surf there only a few times. On the pier....if you fish close in near the life guard tower you hit the croakers, sargo and perch. There is a break wall on the north side of the pier that stirs up a lot of the bottom. Use Ghost shrimp and mussels. The mid pier is good for halibnuts, use chovies. Out on the end of the pier is good for sharks and mackerel when they are around, use mackerel or squid.

You can't get out far on the jetty south of the pier (it turns into Navy no-man's land) but I have caught a couple of fish off there (walleye sp and pile perch). I caught my first fish from the sand at Seal Beach last Saturday, while the grunion were running. It was the biggest YFC I have ever caught. I was using cut sardine. Oh wait I have caught grunion by hand there too. Seal beach is pretty consistent with having grunion runs so I don't see why you couldn't hook up with a SNGF or halibut from the surf there.

Sunset beach isn't too far south of Seal Beach either and seems to be hit or miss with the surf fishing, at least for me. Sunset tends to have a large shore break at high tide, and a big long trench that doesn't really consentrate the fish, but I have caught SNGF and perch there. Alos saw lots of Corbina there last summer.

Thanks for the tips guys. This is exactly what I was hoping for.