Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: trolling motor question

Default trolling motor question

My question is can you take a trolling motor through kelp or not? I am a first time boat owner thats not too sure. Last time i took my boat out by some kelp, i pulled uo the outboard, and was very cautious not to get inside the kelp. I'm just curious if kelp will damage the trolling motor, or can i take it right through the kelp? Thanks for all the info. I greatly appreciate it.

YUP. trolling motors are made for moving through cover. flexible blades are a feature on almost every single minn kota or motorguide and usually the newer trolling motors even have piable shafts

some trollys have special props which are supposed to keep off weeds...can cost about $20 extra but worth it!

If its a gas motor
    Make sure the kelp does not block the water intake. Engine will over heat.
    Don't really want a bunch of kelp wrapped around the prop. Creates a lot of drag. May be hard on the engine/lower unit.
    Clean the tangled kelp mess off the prop often.
    Then your good to go

definitly take an extra prop w/you. been there,done that!

i have a 55 # thrust minn kota saltwater and couldn't get it through some of the kelp by dana point had to break out the oars and play tug of war to get to where the johnson would chop through

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    i have a 55 # thrust minn kota saltwater and couldn't get it through some of the kelp by dana point had to break out the oars and play tug of war to get to where the johnson would chop through
    :offtopic:
    Thanks for the info on Minn Kota Riptide c, i have a 50lb.MKRT transom mount on my toon and it cuts threw the heavy weeds at Castaic like butter. i have not fished the salt yet, so hearing that ur 55lb. is having trouble with the kelp ... so i'll be avoiding, the kelp ...BIG TIME ... :thumb:

Z

FISH ON !

thanks for all the info. I love the fact that we have a site where people feel free to express their opinions and advice. THANKS