Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Half arsed report from Dockweiler

Default Half arsed report from Dockweiler

Camped at Dockweiler over Mothers Day with some friends, hit the beach Friday evening my buddy gets one small BSP. Well, at least he did not get skunked. He was using sand crabs, I started with anchovy and squid pieces, then switched to sand crabs. No bites, no nothing, bummer. Well, plenty of seaweed, lots of that. My line finds seaweed like my golf ball finds trees. So I get to hear it all night while sitting by the camp fire what a better fisherman he is.

Saturday morning I roll out of my trailer at the crack of 9, his wife tells me he is already fishing. Grab the gear and go. He already landed one large BSP and is randomly getting some small ones. I start up and both of us are now occasionally bringing smaller to medium BSP. I put on a Lucky Craft and go out on the Hyperion rocks and eventually something large and dark, but not too wide follows it in and hits it about 15' away. I can see the dark but can't make out what it was. I was a very hard strike but the hook didn't set. I keep tossing in the same area but nothing. We hang it up until the evening. Saturday night went well. We were both landing large and small BSP regularly, constant bites. He lands another fish, what is it? he says. That's a Yellow Fin Croaker! We both are dragging those in now, what a fun fish!! Wish I brought lighter gear, it would have been even funner!! For two of the larger BSP, as I'm taking the hook out, they start crapping out babies. Damn!! I tell my daughter to pick them up and put them in the water. They probably became food for something else, but maybe not.

In case you didn't already think you were there, here is the half *** part. We had no camera. The only picture I have is of the custom stainless steel sand crab scoop my buddy made. It's kind of big, it think it is 6" tubing, in one scoop, we had about 75 1-1.5" sand crabs. He added a fitted piece of expanded metal to the bottom to get smaller sand crabs. The thing worked great, although it is a little heavy. Needs another handle across the front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1326.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	40691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1327.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	40692

Sounds like a good weekend. Glad you beat the skunk and bummer about the unknown dark shadow getting unbuttoned. Nice sand crab scoop. Thanks for the report!

That SC scoop looks awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Sweet must be nice to camp @ the beach & fish when you want .....nice scoop

Vansmack...I like that screen name. Guess we know what you're listenin to in the mornings. Nice job on the camping trip. Nuttin like a little weekend session on the beach. Not sure what "not too wide" means but sounds like you might have been short bit by a flattie...maybe. Nice scoop...probably makes the crabbin a little easier, eh?

Thanks for sharing!
    Don

I'm liking the sc scooper looks nice, compact and effective
    Sorry about the unknown fish.. you've got me real curious as to what it could've been
    Nonetheless, still a great session! Those yfc can be surprisingly strong for their size.
    Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

We had such a great time last weekend, we are going to try again this coming Sunday. We both are very new to surf fishing so I'm not sure where we will try. It seems N OC is has been producing so we'll probably end up there, somewhere. I'm bringing lighter gear for more fun this time.

Welcome to the addiction.
    Keep up the good work out there.