Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southern Cal Sand Bass Limits 04/10 w/picss

I used to always make reservations, but I could never get a better spot at the rail by making a reservation than not making one. Also, most of the landing were telling me they were going out even though they weren't sure because they wanted to get me to confirm my reservation. And then they would ask for my phone number when I made a reservation, but not call me when they decided to cancel. I learned just to show up early to get a good spot. Making a reservation is a waste of time. Unless you can point me to a landing that will give me a spot at the rail in accordance with my reservation and will go out when they say they will go out.

Hi Shioda,

If you don't call the landing and don't make a reservation but go to a landing regularly on weekdays during Winter, you must go home without fishing quite often. With few exceptions there's not a boat at any landing on the coast that doesn't have off-line days during the period and days mentioned above. And week-ends for that matter on many boats. If you fish moo-moos mostly when the season is hot and on weekends, then the importance of a reservation may be deminished but still.....

Example: One boat I know commonly goes out with 90 people .... 90+ !! If 30 made reservations and 60 showed up at 5 minutes before shoving off, the landing is apt to put everyone on that boat .... they deserve it !!

If everyone had made reservations ........ there are landings that would go with that but there are also others that might .... I say might actually have another boat on standby to take some of the overflow. Maybe being jammed on a single boat may not be a problem yourself but that would be a problem to me! :D

There are some landings that DO intially ask for those that have made reservation to step to the front of the lne before selling to the FCFS guys. I know, I've experienced it in both pairs of shoes.

There is no sure-thing in life and a boat going out no matter what...... is no exception. So I agree there's nothing written in stone with a reservation or not!

As you well know, there is no reservations for a spot on the rail but a position in line that will enable you to get a choice spot predicated on your FCFS position. First in line with reservation should get you first spot on the boat.

Getting out on a boat is a two-way street. Kind readers should understand that a minimum of anglers is needed to make it worth making even a charity run. The landing has the obligation to provide the angler with correct information and the angler owes it to themselves to cover themselves in the following ways.

1) Patronize a landing regularly, get to know the office guys, learn the different boats, their schedules, and details that will help you judge for yourself if the boat has a good chance to get out, how many fellow-anglers to expect, etc.

2) Making a reservation is not the end of the process. I make a reservation early the day before my planned trip after confirming that the boat should be on-line. At the same time, I inquire as to how many reservations are on the books. Below a minimum, the fewer the reservations, the less confidence I have that the boat will have enough to leave the dock!! Or ..... make me think I might not want to be on a packed boat. :wink:

I also call the landing in the late afternoon of the day before the trip to check on if the boat's still on line, how many reservations, and just as important, if you know the landing guys, how many walk-ins, that's you Shioda :) , I can reasonably expect on showing up.

3) With this information in hand, I can plan my trip, what to take, whether I need to call some buddies to go, and .......... ... how early I have to get to the landing to have a good shot at the rail spot I like ..... or if there is rotation ..... what starting spot I want to get to fish a position when I feel it is the best time.

Written just as much for those new to moo-moos as otherwise.

I suspect we're thinking of the same thing just at a different time of the year/ fishing season. Sorry to sound preachy !!

JapanRon

JapanRon

I usually fish at one of the 3 Long Beach marinas. I almost always call to see if they are going out the next day but not always. I just don't make a reservation because I might not be sure which marina I will go out of. I have never seen any advantage of making a reservation, because I get the same spot at the rail as I would if I had no reservation. Also, I have never been denied boarding because of the boat being too crowded. Of course, I always try to get to the marina about an hour before departure.

Have you ever seen anyone denied a spot because they did not have a reservation? Have you ever made a reservation and been told they are going, only to get to the marina and have the trip cancelled because there are not enough people? One time I made a reservation at 7 am for a half day trip out of Pierpoint and got to the marina about 10 minutes before departure only to be told that the water was too rough and the trip was cancelled. They had my cell number but didn't call me. That night I read the landing reports and saw that LB Sportfishing did go out. Had they called me, I would have gone to LB Sportfishing instead. When I have made a reservation, I give them my cell number. I have never received a call saying that the trip is canceled.

If the reservation system actually worked, I would use it. I just don't see any benefit.

Hi again Shioda

You wrote:

I usually fish at one of the 3 Long Beach marinas. I almost always call to see if they are going out the next day but not always. I just don't make a reservation because I might not be sure which marina I will go out of. I have never seen any advantage of making a reservation, because I get the same spot at the rail as I would if I had no reservation. Also, I have never been denied boarding because of the boat being too crowded. Of course, I always try to get to the marina about an hour before departure.

I think I got it. Your system works but......... it you went out 100~125 times a year you would not be on a boat 100% by a long shot. I assume you don't really go out during periods when the difference between going out and staying tied at the dock is 2 or 3 anglers.

Have you ever seen anyone denied a spot because they did not have a reservation?

Yes, I have heard of .... on this board ... of such cases ...... outside the 3 local marinas we both patronize. Boat was max'ed with reservations.

Have you ever made a reservation and been told they are going, only to get to the marina and have the trip cancelled because there are not enough people?

Yes, but I have been fore-warned by learning of the landings low reservation number and made contingency plans in case of cancellation. Example: If the 3/4-day boat didn't go out after-all, I'd make sure during my call that my reservation was good for the 1/2-day too ... just in case.

You wrote:
    One time I made a reservation at 7 am for a half day trip out of Pierpoint and got to the marina about 10 minutes before departure only to be told that the water was too rough and the trip was cancelled. They had my cell number but didn't call me. That night I read the landing reports and saw that LB Sportfishing did go out. Had they called me, I would have gone to LB Sportfishing instead. When I have made a reservation, I give them my cell number. I have never received a call saying that the trip is canceled.

Valid point ! I would be steaming too!!!

Being a Monday morning quarterback is easy still ........ if I gave them a cell phone number (don't have a cell-phone myself) I'd make sure (as you probably did) that they KNEW it was a cell-phone number.

Also, although I won't mention any landings, I know the the boat's departure schedule and times and if one boat didn't go out, there is a chance one could scoot over to the other landing in time to get a ride !!

I've seen guys do this more than once!

Another option, some landings have more than just one 3/4 and or 1/2-day (mostly) boat going out! Granted, this is usually during the busy season.

Going when you do .... nothin' is broke so it's all good. For me being retired and wanting to go when there are fewer anglers, and get exactly what I want, I just about have to do what I do.

I hope your experiences and some of my suggestions made here makes newer moo-moo patrons a bit more savvy.

Hope to have you as a rail-mate sometime,

JapanRon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12