Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washingto/Oregon Road trip w/pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Washingto/Oregon Road trip w/pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just returned from a 2 week WONDERFUL vacay with my wife Julie. We flew to Seattle, stayed for 2 days, then drove a rental all the way back to the O.C.

Here are the fishing highlights.

All fish in this post were CPR'd!

Hit up a local river that had tons of baby chinook salmon jumping out of the water. I was SLAYING Them with a lil chrome spoon w/orange. My nephew Chris, using a roostertail couldn't get a nibble. So I traded him poles and we BOTH caught nuthin! Then, I coached him over the next few casts, and pretty soon, he was 5 for 6 in a row!!!! They were fun and hard fighting on 4lb test. (I had my out of state license)

Chris, with his first of many Chinook...STOKED!!! :D

A LARGE eagle, Golden or immature bald, was in the trees overhead. Looked the size of a friggin elephant when it took off!!!

We then left Wa. and drove thru Or. (I had my out of state license here too) Was a BEAUTIFUL coast drive along 101. I highly recommend it.

There were creeks and large rivers all the way, and I do believe I stopped at every one! :wink: Much to my wife's annoyment.

One such creek was Trask Creek.
    The trask river just below the hatchery...

We drove 5 miles of 101 to get there, and were rewarded with BEAUTIFUL scenery and a few nice fish which were either Steelhead, or Coho(silver) salmon like this one. Help on the ID please?)

We then kept driving South. The next day, I fished a beautiful clear creek called the Elk River. I caught my first Cutthroat ever!!!!! I was completely stoked!

The Elk River

My first wild cutthroat- caught on my fav lure, the Panther Martin......

If you ever wondered WHY they call em cutthroats...

Then we kept on driving stopping at a few towns along the way to spend the night. My bride REALLY outdid herself on the accomodations. We stayed one night on the beautiful Rogue River-No fish(Though I fished :!: )

Here are a few random shots...

Look VERY Closely-Dana, are you looking VERY closely????? That is me in my Team 57 T-shirt standing on the arch on the left :!: :!:

Our first stopover in Cannon Beach, Or.

Our third stopover in Gold Beach, Or. -Rogue River in the background

A wild ride on the sweet-***** sand dunes on the Oregon Coast near Florence.

I hope this may inspire you as it does me when I read others' posts, and I hope you can be was awed, as I was, by the wonders of these great United Staes of America!

GM

PS

Look for my Northern Ca. followup posts in the Northern California reports section tomorrow.

wow looks like you had a great time. awesome pics, really nice.

:offtopic:
    i dont know if anybody remebers KARATE KID PART 3, don't know why anyone would it was very bad, but anyways the first pic under the random ones looks like the spot where Mr Miagi planted his bonzai tree.

looks like a kick ***** trip :thumb: . thanks for the report Greg. the pics are very kool. :D

:( I'm so jealous

Cool pics! Most likely all the fish - with the exception of the cutts - were rainbows. The larger one is definitely a 'bow.

What an awesome trip! Was this a delayed honeymoon or something????

That one fish you are holding vertical and wondering if it is steelhead or salmon, appears to me to be a rainbow. None of the salmon family have the black dimpling like a rainbow, I'm familar with some of the landlocked salmon, and they are pure silver usually at that size. Yours has black dimpling. Maybe could be steelhead, but it is far too small in size to still be in the fresh like that, IMO...and I'm not very familiar with steelhead.

Not sure about the other fish. Either way, congrats on your first cutthroat!!!

Thanks Greg,
    I can't believe you came back.
    What's keeping you here in Cali?
    Congrats on the good time and first Cutt.
    Congrats on the great looking family too.

One_Leg

Actually guys, the fish in the first 2 photos were DEFINITELY chinook. There were signs up that there were juvenile salmon from a hatchery upstream,plus they had black mouths, not very visible in these photos.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

GM

Very cool!!!

Awesome Greg, Simply awesome.. :thumb:

Great looking family, fun outdoor trip, some outstanding pics..

AND PRICELESS MEMORIES... :D

WTG, good job... :thumb:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast