Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Saltwater Regulations that get ya

Heres one for surf fishing that you HAVE to know: SandCrabs: Limit- 50

Ive seen people get ticketed for overlimits of sandcrabs. Sometimes the people have buckets filled to the brim with them. I spend several hours out on the water, and ive never really needed 50 crabs to begin with. Anyone with such a gross overlimit is a real bastard.

Thats just greedy.

I've fished locally So Cal, for about 40yrs plus, the last 20yrs or more on my own boats. When I catch a fish I want to keep, I make sure its a couple of inch's oversized as far as regs go. If is something that I feel is going to be more scrutinized by the DFG, ie, white seabass, halibut,ect, I may fillet but I always keep the carcass,the rest like, calicos, sculpin,rockfish,barries,ect, I just slab em, that means I just fillet each side and leave all the skin on and ribcage in, when i'm ready to consume, I just finish the cleaning, very easy.
    The only reason I suggest these things is, in all the years I've been fishing, and have been checked, boarded ect by dfg I have never rec a cititation.
    Cya Tuna Vic<((((<

Not sure if this would go in here, but I wanted to ask about surf fishing when swimmers are around. Is this legal? I'm not looking to snag some kid or anything, but I was wondering what to do if people come out and begin swimming in my fishing area after I've already been there. Can I keep on fishing or do I need to pull up lines? I want to fish sand worm artificials with my daughter, but she doesn't need to get up when I normally do to go fishing. Thanks for any help here.

Normally, i just casually warn people where I casted, and to stay clear.

The surf isnt really the best place to bait&wait anyway.

This is somewhat related to fishing, but not fishing directly. I enjoy eating shellfish as well and while fishing a long time ago I recall harvesting a few handful of muscles from the rocks out in Santa Monica / Malibu area. I basically I'm trying to find a spot where I can legally take muscles for consumption in the OC. With all the MLPA's and the recent closing of Laguna Beach I have been unable to find a spot that is 1. Legal and 2. has an abundance of them that can be easily taken.

I actually called the DFG and 1 lady gave me a few spots, but looking at the MLPA's 1 more restrictive zone overlaps another zone and when that happens your suppose to go with the more restrictive zone. So I call back speak to someone in the regulations department after being transferred 5 times and he confirmed that it was in fact a no take zone. My questions to him was well " ifthe previous warden said I could and I got caught wouldn't that be the DFG's fault" he quickly gave me a snide comment and said if I did take anything illegally the ticket was on me regardless of what I supposedly heard. I gave him the name of the warden and he got all snippy and then quickly said you can't take muscles in orange county at all and quickly hung up. Seems like he is a bit upset that his co-worker couldn't decipher the cryptic code of what is and isn't legal to take where in the OC like most of it's residents.

So I'm back to square 1 is there anywhere in the OC where you can legally harvest muscles at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Madrigal View Post
    Alright, so I'm just gonna say, if u catch a hali, Just save it till you get home. Ever read the reg on the fillets?! It's quite rediculous. Err on the safe side and leave it intact.

GM<><
    Exactly, I'm a lawyer and just read it 3 times and still can't figure out what they want or don't want us to do with a flattie.

Quote Originally Posted by DMS View Post
    Exactly, I'm a lawyer and just read it 3 times and still can't figure out what they want or don't want us to do with a flattie.
    You can still fillet them as if your going to 1/4 them but leave a section connected so you end up with 2 fillets not 4. The finished fillet will look like a butterfly.

Or fillet it as seen in this video. 4 fillets is NOT legal from 1 halibut.

As of March 1st 2013 Sand Bass, Calico Bass and Spotted Bay Bass min size limit is now 14".
    Fillets must be 7 1/2" with a 1" min patch of skin.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234