Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saltwater Regulations that get ya

Default Saltwater Regulations that get ya

Wanted to start a thread regarding Saltwater Regulations that are often over looked and maybe help save some of the newer saltwater fisher people some citations. I am not a pro, but I have read the regulations, and I have also seen some posts regarding citations for regfs that folks did not even know existed. If this is not going to be a bennefit, then just scrap it. Like I said, I am no saint, but I have learned that there are reg that exist that I did not know existed until I read about or knew someone that has been cited.

Eddie & Rich
    "Hesbros"
    Last edited by HESBROS; 02-22-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Default Filleting fish while on the water

Here I will start, this seems to be a common area that some overlook. There are specific requirements such as length of fillets and skin patches for some species when it come to filleting fish on the water. Be sure to check out the section regarding California Halibut.

27.65. Filleting of Fish on Vessels.
    (a) Definition of Fillet: For the purpose of this section a fill et is the flesh from one side
    of a fish extending from the head to the tail which has been removed from the body (head,
    tail and backbone) in a single continuous piece.
    (b) Fish That May be Filleted: No person shall fillet on any boat or bring ashore as fillets
    any fish, except in accordance with the following requirements:
    (1) Kelp bass, sand bass, spotted bass, and ocean whitefish: All fillets shall be a
    minimum of six and one-half inches in length. Each fillet shall bear intact a one-inch square
    patch of skin.
    (2) Barracuda: Fillets must be a minimum of 17 inches in length. Each fillet shall bear
    intact a one-inch square patch of silver skin.
    (3) Lingcod. Lingcod fillets must be a minimum of 16 inches in length. Each fillet shall
    bear intact a one-inch square patch of skin. The minimum size and minimum fillet size for
    lingcod may be changed during the year or in-season by the department under the authority
    of sub-section 27.20(e). The department will provide a news release notifying the public 10
    calendar days in advance of a change to the minimum size and minimum fillet size for lingcod
    made under the authority of sub-section 27.20(e). Anglers and divers are advised to check
    the current rules before fishing. The latest fishing rules may be found on the department’s
    website at: www.dfg.ca.gov/marine, or by calling (831) 649-2801 for recorded information,
    or by contacting a department office.
    (4) White seabass: Fillets must be a minimum of 19 inches in length. Each fillet shall
    bear intact a one-inch square patch of silver skin.
    (5) Pacific bonito: No more than 10 fillets of any length may be possessed. All bonito
    fillets possessed shall be considered a part of the allowable undersized tolerance of five
    bonito per day less than 24 inches fork length or weighing less than five pounds as provided
    in Section 28.32 of these regulations. All fillets shall bear intact a one-inch square patch
    of skin.
    (6) California halibut taken from or possessed aboard a vessel south of Point Arena
    (Mendocino County): Fillets must be a minimum of 16 and three-quarter inches in length and
    shall bear the entire skin intact. A fillet from a California halibut (flesh from one entire side
    of the fish with the entire skin intact) may not be cut in half fillets. However, a fillet may be
    cut lengthwise in a straight line along the midline of the fillet where the fillet was attached
    to the vertebra (backbone) of the fish only if the two pieces of a fillet remain joined along
    their midline for a length of at least two inches at one end of the fillet.
    (7) Yellowtail: Fillets must be a minimum of 17 inches in length, except not more than
    10 fillets may be less than 17 inches. Each fillet shall bear intact a one-inch square patch
    of skin.
    (8) Rockfish: Fillets must have the entire skin attached. Bocaccio fillets must be a minimum
    of five inches in length. The minimum size and minimum fillet size for rockfish may be
    changed during the year or in-season by the department under the authority of sub-section
    27.20(e). The department will provide a news release notifying the public 10 calendar days
    in advance of a change to the minimum size and minimum fillet size for rockfish made under
    the authority of sub-section 27.20(e). Anglers and divers are advised to check the current
    rules before fishing. The latest fishing rules may be found on the department’s website
    at: www.dfg.ca.gov/marine, or by calling (831) 649-2801 for recorded information, or by
    contacting a department office.
    For up-to-date groundfish regulation information, call the DFG Groundfish Hotline at (831) 649-2801
    For up-to-date ocean salmon regulation information, call the DFG Ocean Salmon Hotline at (707) 576-3429
    (9) California scorpionfish (commonly termed “sculpin”): Fillets must be a minimum of
    5 inches. Each fillet shall bear intact a one-inch square patch of skin. The minimum size and
    minimum fillet size for California scorpionfish may be changed during the year or in-season by
    the department under the authority of sub-section 27.20(e). The department will provide a news
    release notifying the public 10 calendar days in advance of a change to the minimum size and
    minimum fillet size for California scorpionfish made under the authority of sub-section 27.20(e).
    Anglers and divers are advised to check the current rules before fishing. The latest fishing rules
    may be found on the department’s website at: www.dfg.ca.gov/marine, or by calling (831) 649-
    2801 for recorded information, or by contacting a department office.
    (10) All other species except those listed in sub-section (c) of this section: Each fillet shall
    bear intact a one-inch square patch of skin. The fillets may be of any size.
    (c) Fish That May Not be Filleted: No person shall fillet on any boat or bring ashore as fillets
    the following fish: cabezon, greenlings of the genus Hexagrammos, salmon, striped bass,
    sturgeon, and any species of flatfish, except California halibut may be filleted or brought ashore
    as fillets south of Point Arena (Mendocino County).

Default Lobster Measuring

With more and more folks starting to Hoop, thought I would post a pic of how to properly measure a lobster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spiny Lobster1.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	37  

good info on fillets i've noticed there isn't cleaning facilities at the launch in dana or newport

The filleting regulation is a good one to post.

Last year during the rockfish season, the previous regulations was a 1 inch square patch of skin was needed to be intact connected to the fish for identification purposes. Some places got caught, but some didn't. One place is Redondo Sportfishing, and more specifically, the Spitfire. They are probably one of the best SoCal boat crews on the West Coast.

So just remember, just like prices in a store or restaurant, "subject to change daily"

that was cool of you to post that Hesbros..for those that didnt know..and for those who dont know, the length of the fillet determines whether or not the fish was legal when killed. So be VERY CAREFUL when filleting a barely legal fish, cut WAY UP towards the head. No room for error on the barely legals guys. The funny one to me is that there is no size limit on whitefish (at least there didnt use to be), but the filets still have to be 6 and 1/2 " (if im correct). Thanks again brother...

GD

Default a no brainer

i know most of us know this one but alot of ppl need to pratice this rule. especialy when fishing unfamilar waters.
    If you don't know what it is DON'T KEEP IT!!

i've released more fish than i can count just because i wasn't sure what it was or didn't know the regs on it, only to research it when i got home to find out that it was legal.
    most important thing to remember is that its your own responsability to know the limits and regs of the fish your going after. so while your getting your tackle together take a break and look up the regs of a few of the fish commonly caught where you'll be fishing.

Default Good Point

Thats a very good point Twin22s. We too have released many fish because we were not sure what they were. Not only should you do this because of regulations, but some fish could be harmful. We have all seen post's that show a picture of someone asking what kind of fish they caught, and they are juvenile wsb, or bsb, or something protected, and then the bashing comes. I have seen pics of Mantis Shrimp being held and people asking what they were, not knowing how lucky they are to not be missing a finger.

That's some good info. thanks! :cool:

I just don't fillet anything until I get home ...... I guess this is why the deckhands always get pissed at me (I know that's how they make there money) but they gotta understand

We Islanders, EAT EVERYTHING !!!! especially my inlaws..... so I keep my fish nice and intact....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast