Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zuma, Malibu, a PB and a new rod! 2-12-08

Default Zuma, Malibu, a PB and a new rod! 2-12-08

Found myself inspecting Zuma this morning at sunrise. Was on the beach before the sun.

It was hot! T-shirt and shorts weather.

First fish today came on the LC110 in "TJ SARDINE" color :mrgreen: Great fighter and bent my MH 7' over pretty good when he hit. Finally! You guys have all the phat Perch up there in Malibu! I think the perch at BCSB are scared of the 110 :lol: I think this might be my PB BSP.

After that, no more on the lure for an hour. Switched to 2" GCSW and caught one or two more.

Moved on up north from Zuma near Magu. Found a few good spots really quick with the GCSW..

then went back to the lure. I was being brave today! Suspending between submerged rocks etc. Got hit pretty good and land my second football perch on the LC "TJ SARDINE".

Shortly after, my little area died off as far as the bigger ones. Switched back to the GCSW and caught some lil guys left and right. About this time I met a guy I've seen on FNN a few times. I think his name was Chris, but I forgot already? After a short talk with him, I farmed a football perch on the LC :bang: Another 10 casts later and I Casted the lucky "TJ SARDINE" colored lc110 off into the drink never to be seen again :shock: :roll: :lol:
    Oh well, back to the worms and grubs.

Got tired of slaying dink perch on GCSW, so decided to head down the PCH to grab some lunch. I Eventually decided I wanted to go pick up that new 10'
    light surf spinning rod I've been eyeballin'. Got down to Big Fish and selected from a few of the rods.

Ended up with a split grip 2 piece 10' graphite rod rated for 6-20lb line and 7-21 grams (1/4-3/4 oz). The Fuji reel seat should fit any spinning reel rated from 2lb-20lb no problem. Perfect! EXACTLY what I wanted for the surf! The rod set me back $50. Great deal! Can't wait to use it. I might be out there again tomorrow at BCSB on the south end! Here's some pics of the rod, and I hope you enjoyed my report!

weldinorfishin Guest

Default Re: Zuma, Malibu, a PB and a new rod! 2-12-08

nice report and pics,looks like fun.I was wondering how far out a person needs to cast?

just past the first set of breakers near shore. i got one in 6" of water last trip lol

Uh ohhh, City Dad is gonna be mad... you found his "honey hole". :wink:

Finally got one on the LC! Nice! :mrgreen: You'll get plenty more. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by weldinorfishin
    nice report and pics,looks like fun.I was wondering how far out a person needs to cast?
    Depending on the tide and where you are standing, a 5' cast will do :D You don't really need any special rods.. but then again..

The long 10' rod is to keep my line above the waves, not necessarily for casting distance. Gives me a wide band of line and weight choices for perch. I was using my other two spinning rods over rated at times as well and didn't want to break one. Also, it should cast small perch lures pretty far like Rapala CD3, strike king bitsy minnow, rebel minnows etc. I could best describe it as a "Medium fast 10' noodle with a backbone"

This rod will catch many perch in it's lifetime :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut
    Uh ohhh, City Dad is gonna be mad... you found his "honey hole". :wink:

Finally got one on the LC! Nice! :mrgreen: You'll get plenty more. 8)
    I think I was only at Zuma for a short while.
    I moved to another spot where I met a dude from FNN. I'm not sure what it's called, but it's probably best that way :lol: That's what I meant in the title "malibu".
    I was moving all over the place really.. I don't even know where I was anymore :lol:

ITS TIME I THINK.. Thanks for waking me up.. Nice fish and gear .. Love doing the shallow cranks and swimmies in the surf. Separates the men from the boys..

:shock: I don't believe you set your baitcaster in the sand! Nice job on the perch. That theory is looking more and more plausible, he he. As for the rod, that is a pretty good deal. I may have to check it out. Later.

Great report,
    must be alot fun catching at much fish! :D

thanks for the report

that new rod looks cool,
    where did you get it from?

NICE LIL PERCHIES.

O_L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast