Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Huntington, Bolsa Chica, and NPH in one day....

Default Huntington, Bolsa Chica, and NPH in one day....

Headed out to the coast again on saturday with my sand spike and new 9 foot heavy surf setup. Decided to hit huntington first, near the talbot channel. Left some squid strips out and worked the fishcrack on the medium action. No love on the sandworms at all, all day! Wierd. i did nail a few really hefty BSP's on the bait rig though. Anyways, we stayed until the tides shifted back out, then headed to BCSB to see what the action was like there.

Well, it was great, if you're a surfer. Not too good if you're an angler though, lol. HUGE breakers out 100+ yards, and all kinds of random breaks and whitewater. Worked the same stuff there for about an hour with no love, then we decided to find somewhere a little more sheltered.

Ended up at the m street dock in Newport harbor. I caught a mackeral, three shiner perch (new species for me), and three smelt. All on squid strips on a high/low rig. Only one farmed bite for Armand. Guess it just wasn't his day. We stayed until dark, then packed it up and left in search of beer. I didn't get any pictures this time, but I'll just assure you, it was a total dinkfest. Total fish count for myself: 2 large BSP's, three shiner perch, a mackeral, and three jack smelt. A four species day! Armand wasn't so lucky, and he ended up with the skunk. Anyways, tight lines!

-Skyler

Default Re: Huntington, Bolsa Chica, and NPH in one day....

Good work out there man.
    Still have yet to catch fish on bait out there besides a BSP on a ghostie.

Did you try any swimbaits or bigger lures for bass in the harbor? How the heck do we get those fat rays to bite? :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie
    Good work out there man.
    Still have yet to catch fish on bait out there besides a BSP on a ghostie.

Did you try any swimbaits or bigger lures for bass in the harbor? How the heck do we get those fat rays to bite? :mrgreen:
    I threw all kinds of swimbaits and gulp lures, as well as a dropshot. No love on any of it. Got one follow on a storm swimbait. As for the big rays, that was my goal in the harbor, outside of sticking a spotted bass. I wanted a smoothhound or a ray. Only managed a bunch of small stuff though. One of the guys on the dock caught a 8" halibut and a 4" spotted bass though. Just trash fish for me. i kept the two large BSP's for tacos, and the mack for bait. The rest i either threw back, or pinned on my big rig as live bait. No love on those either. The only thing I caught fish on was cut squid. Damn ink gets everywhere, lol.

I have lost some big ones off the M street dock.

Keep trying, use heavy gear.

One_Leg

Skyler.

We crossed paths last Sat. I was going south as you we going north then south. It is a must to move to find a bite even if the bite does not satisfy your desires.

I had full intentions of getting in the surf starting at Seal, BCSB, HB, and got frustrated with the crowds. Worked my way to NPH Docks to find the crowds again. Fished a few locations for a few. Then went to CDM, Crystal Cove still with intentions of getting in the SURF to crowded conditions.

Returned to NPH and took a look at M St. in the late afternoon as I had not visited that location for about 8 months. I was amased at how crowded the dock was let alone the ramp with lines going every where. If you stayed until dark I just missed you.

Keep up the hard work and you will be rewarded. Just a keep in mind that there are at least 15 other public docks at NPH and all provide way better cover for them to hide out and far more variety than I have seen that dock produce.

Search them out and hopefully will run into you soon!!!!!!!