Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TJ and VG: Crazy Surf Perch slay fest! 2-7-08

Default TJ and VG: Crazy Surf Perch slay fest! 2-7-08

Wow? Where do I start?

Got a PM from VG yesterday that he was lookin' to go out fishing again today.
    I have been studying up on my surf fishing and had a hunch that today would be a great day for perch.
    VG showed up at my house at 5am.
    Gassed up and headed for the beach! Arrived just short of 6:15. We tried several places today..

First stop: BCSB!
    first thing I did was throw my funky BPS freestyle jig hoping for a perch, but no love for 5 minutes. That was fine, just trying to break the lure in on any fish. I knew the fish would bite a camo worm, so I went to the "Itobait" 110. Nada on that either despite a good honest try.

Meanwhile, VG was slaying Perch left and right. I wanted a lure fish bad, but finally went back to the sandworm. got a few perch myself, then back to the lures.
    I caught them on everything BUT the LC110FM and Itobait :lol: I honestly gave it my all, but no Hali and no perch on the LC or Ito. I caught some on a strike king bitsy minnow, a power worm, sandworms, sand crabs.. etc. They were taking everything that would fit in their mouth.

We lost count of the fish we caught. It was fun! I can tell you there were quite a few more fish released than photographed. (we only took shots of the bigger units).

Then we left for lunch and to try the reserve that Mike the PMB mentioned.
    I saw one Halibut scurry away from 1' deep, but he was only about 8" or so. Might have even been a diamond turbot for all I know, but the good thing is, I know there is fish in that spot, and I will be back. We tried the dropshot, C-rigs, the LC, the Yo-Zuri and the Ito there for nada. Called it quits at the reserve after a half hour. Thanks for the spot Mike! I'll try again soon buddy. No luck today but they are there for sure :wink:

Afterwards, we decided to hit it from the straight surf from my lucky spot at BCSB. I wanted to try my new Hodgemans Wadelites out. Got suited up and VG jumped into shorts like an animal and we jumped in the surf. HAd some fun trippen out on the water for a minute, then got down to business and slayed more Perch. VG even caught one with a creepy lookin' parasite on it today :P VG also hit some tiny micro dink BSP like 2" in front of him today too. It was funny. He set the hook and a fish popped out of the wave on to the beach! :lol: :rofl:

Dude, serious good times today for sure. Laughin' and slayin' all day! I have finally figured out what triggers that excellent perch bite now too! :banana:
    I won't fish for perch again unless it'll be a good day for Perchin :wink:

Enjoy the pics. I may have went a bit overboard with the camera this time. We released all pictured and unpictured fish. No Hali yet, and I tried my hardest.
    No Hali's for any of the other Hali specific fisherman we saw either.

Not sure who's fish this is.

VG

VG

TJ

VG w/ a bleeder

VG rippin' lips!

TJ

TJ

TJ w/ Sandcrab

VG w/ MORF grub

TJ w/ tiny Strike King crankbait

TJ w/ Power Worm :secret: :banana:

VG w/ P-line spoon! :twisted:

VG

VG w/ the MORF grubs again (he farmed like 20 fish on the MORF grub too! )

VG w/ MORF

TJ

TJ

VG

Surf Perch Parasite

VG

TJ w/ first fish in new waders. Lunker WSP!

TJ way out into the surf

Default Re: TJ and VG: Crazy Surf Perch slay fest! 2-7-08

All right! Nice Perch fest! They're fun to catch on a variety of lures. Fun stuff Casey. :mrgreen:

good times for sure TJ. lett you know how i do tomarow but i alread seen a wfo report for my spot :)

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagurilla
    good times for sure TJ. lett you know how i do tomarow but i alread seen a wfo report for my spot :)
    DOH! Good luck up there, hope they left some for ya!
    Don't forget to put in a good word for me :twisted: :secret: :lol:

I forgot to mention,
    There was a woman from the DFG walking around surveying anglers. They asked a few perchy questions. They were just wondering if we kept any so they could measure them, but we didn't have any fish for her to measure. We did fully cooperate with the survey including names, zip codes, how many fish we caught, how long we had been there, etc etc. This had nothing to do with DFG laws, it was just a cool lady with a clipboard taking notes. Good to see the DFG checking up on the fishery :thumb:

Oh man that's sweet. Nice report guys. I was riding a desk all day. oh when oh when will the weekend come?

dang, that look like loads of fun. Nice job on using all sorts of lures :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :

Nice perch man. You guys got tons of them. I gotta go out there with you sometime and hunt for some halis.

very nice guys...looks fun out there...thanks for the report

hey great report lets hope you land those flatties. you guys mind a surf rokiee taging along .. thanks just let me know ... WOKIEE

FD420 and WOKIEE..
    Bring some perch crack, a few shiny pieces of fluttering metal and the shaped plastic rattles. We'll catch some fish. 8)
    Send me a PM and we 'll work it out. Will most likely have to be next week or weekend. I can't get out to the beach as often as I'd like.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. We had a good time.
    They may just be little Perch, but they're a blast when they come in numbers.
    Can't wait to get out there with my waders and a tiny Yo-Zuri "Snap Bean"! :twisted:
    Shoulda tried to get one on the fly rod today too. Maybe next time. If I threw out a wet fly first cast of the day I just know it would get bit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast