Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surf Fishing 101

Default Surf Fishing 101

Can anyone help a newbie with surf fishing? I would like to give it a try during winter. I would fish between Ventura and Santa Barbara

Thanks

Default Re: Surf Fishing 101

I am FAR from being a authority on surf fishing, but Ill throw my two cents in here and hope it helps......

If you're new to it and just getting started..... here's a outline for targeting the easily caught Barred Surf Perch (BSP) ..... after that, you can expand your arsenal and start targeting all sorts of other species......like Halibut!

If you don't like getting cold and wet, I suggest you invest in a pair of waders. Especially since you'll be fishing cold weather months.

I prefer "breathable" waders as they seem to work well for me all season..... do a little on-line research regarding prices, as prices can vary quite a bit...... you'll find a good deal if you look hard enough.

I have a couple different types of waders but I like the Hodgman Weir Breathable Zip-Front Waders best. I also wear a pair of O'Neil booties as "shoes"..... I think you'll find most any "dive bootie" will work as a surf fishing shoe as long as it has a sturdy soul.

Here's a link to take a look at the waders...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

I also like a product called the "3rd Grip Holster"....... this "holster" allows you to get a hand free to help with unhooking fish or re-rigging. IMO it's one of the most critical pieces of gear I have....... use it to hold your pole while you perform other tasks, or it allows you to bring a additional pole rigged different for targeting something else quickly. The holster also has a place for a pair of needlenose... I carry a pair of hemostats on it as well.

Here's a link to take a look at the "3rd Grip Holster"...

http://www.3rdgrip.com

Here's a photo of my buddy "Wingnut" working the surf up against a jetty (an ideal place for a nice Halibut).. he's using a 3rd Grip as well as a pair of Hodgman Waders....

As for a tackle box......... best thing to do is get yourself a light fanny pack and load it with the essentials. Hooks, weights, swivels, beads, pre-tied leaders, carolina keepers, artificial baits and lures, nail clippers, soft measuring tape, pocketknife, etc....... maybe even your camera, cell phone and a small hand towel.

* Use a "water resistant" fannypack.
    * "ziplock" bag your cell phone, camera & wallet before they go into your pack or pockets. You'll be glad you did.

Once you've been out a few times, you'll have a better idea as to what YOUR "essentials" are and you'll be able to streamline your bag content.... your rule of thumb should be to carry ONLY what you feel you'll need for THAT day. Leave the extra stuff in your vehicle.

Get a good pair of sunglasses and wear them. They help!

As for poles..... well, to each his own.... I have quite a few, but if you're new and dont want to invest a lot of money and just want to get the feel for it, I'd suggest something like a inexpensive Shimano Sidestab 2500RE spin fishing reel and Shimano Scimitar 6.5ft spin fishing rod.

This reel features a lightweight corrosion resistant graphite frame, diecast aluminum spool, 3 stainless steel ball bearings, 1 roller bearing, Dyna-Balance rotor system, Super Stopper anti-reverse, Power Roller reduces line twist, 5.2:1 gear ratio, rear drag and a line capacity of 6lb/200yds. 8lb/140yds. and 10lb/120yds.

The rod is model# SMS-66M-2, 2 piece, medium action fast, sensitive graphite composite blank construction, 5 aluminum oxide guides, comfortable cork handles, hook keeper, and is rated for 6-14lb. line weight, 1/8-5/8oz. lure weight. It is an excellent combo for light freshwater or saltwater fishing.

This set up is not ideal for everyone, BUT I like it for a couple different reasons. First and foremost, it can be had on eBay or other places for about 39.99-49.99........& #46; without fail, you'll find that once in a while a wave soaks your reel. or worse yet, it gets dropped or gets sand in it......... THAT is when you'll be thankful you didnt spend a arm and a leg for your set up....... and while I prefer a light action pole, this combo transfers over very good to freshwater....... so you get more for your money really as you get a combo you can use at the beach or at the lake......... anyway, like I said, to each his own!

Once the surf bug bites you, you'll upgrade your gear anyway!

I usually spool my reel with 6lb XXX Izor Line or 6lb P-Line as I like them both.........& #46;.. again, you'll figure out what works best for you and what you prefer....... be sure to pre-tie some leaders as it will save you a ton of time at the beach. I like using a flurocarbon leader when I'm fishing for the "beans".

You're gonna want to "carolina rig".

Depending on conditions, I'll use a sliding egg sinker anywhere from 1/4oz - 1oz ..... the better the conditions, the lighter the weight...... for instance if the current is strong, go to a heavier weight to keep your bait in the "strike zone" longer......

Here's an example of a BASIC carolina rig....... here I used a 1/2oz sliding egg sinker, followed by a 6MM red bead....... (BTW, I usually prefer a bright ORANGE bead as it simulates the color of sandcrab roe better)...... and a quality #12 barrel swivel......

As for a leader, again, it depends on the conditions. If the surf is light, I use a longer leader, if the surf is bigger and heavy, I shorten it up........ here I started with a 18" leader..... you'll find that your line will get "fouled" if you use a long leader in heavy surf.

There are all sorts of ways to hook up your baits and I use a couple different ways myself, but here's a pic of a Gulp Camo Sandworm hooked on a #6 Owner Mosquito hook. Remember, Im just giving you some basics and there are better ways to present the bait.

In this case, I was using 6" Gulp "Camo" sandworm.... when I use the 6" version, I cut them into 2" pieces...... these days however, Gulp now sells a 2" version.

There are all sorts of baits that will score BSP's from the surf, they are a abundant fish and will strike most any bait when presented properly...... maybe start off with the "Gulp Camo Sandworm" and then try something like a Big Hammer or a Kalin Perch Grub......... you'll find that a MORF color (Motor Oil Red Flake) will work well in most conditions. Add some scent to the grubs if you can. Ghost Shrimp, Mussels, Squid, even Sidewinder Crabs make great natural baits.

There are various colors of Gulp Sandworms, I prefer the "Camo"..... like I mentioned before, you'll probably evolve into other baits and lures, but the Gulp "Camo" Sandworm has been a proven "Perch Locator".

Here's an example of what to look for when looking for the Gulp Camo Sandworm:
    Again, I prefer the 2" version. (6" version shown)

Here's some great examples of "Perch Grubs" (Big Hammer brand)

I like adding a scent anytime I'm using plastics, I prefer UniButter or Pro-Cure...... as Ive had success with both products.

http://www.unigoop.com

http://www.pro-cure.com

When soft shell sand crabs are available, that should be your bait of choice. Mole crabs (sand crabs) are my bait of choice when I can locate some good "soft shelled" ones, the crabs "molt" and while in between hard shells they make an ideal bait. Even better are the ones that are carrying eggs (roe). Sand Crabs are usually found in soft sand near the high tide mark. Look for small "V's" in the sand or watch for birds that are pumping the sand in a specific area for a continued time, these are all indicators of possible sand crab beds..

Here's the type of crab you're looking for:

And here's the underside of one carrying eggs (note the orange area):

Sandcrabs bury themselves in the sand and when "beds" ar visable, the crabs are usually buried similar to this:

Obviously there is a TON of California coastline to fish and most all beaches hold some type of fish for you to target, so start exploring and you'll soon find your list of favorite surf fishing spots to be very long!

Google Earth is a great way to look at the coastline for potentail spots.... here's a shot of a small section of Bolsa Chica State Beach. This tool can make it easy to see the beach terrain, jettys, piers, big structure etc....... even good places to park! You can zoom in closer than this shot in most cases.

Here's another great shot of a California beach and point. This area IMO has some great potential as it shows a multitude of possible areas that could hold fish.

My point to all of this is.... use every available tool you can to educate yourself and you'll soon be increasing your odds to a productive day of surf fishing.

Learn how to read and use tide charts...... in fact, there are even websites with LIVE beach cams that show up to the minute conditions, and THAT can be very helpful.

Here's a tide chart example....... looking at January 3rd, the high tide for this area was at 5:25AM..... and low tide was at 1:05PM........ . remember tides are specific for the area, so be sure to choose a tide chart that relates to the area you intend to fish.

I like fishing BOTH an incoming tide as well as a outgoing tide.... usually a hour before high tide and a hour after....... others prefer a different schedule, but thats mine.

I like using this website for my tide information: http://www.tidelines.com

Depending on where the wave is breaking, I usually throw in front of the break or between breaks in the white foamy areas, once you get familiar with things, look for holes or trenches cut out by the breaking waves and work those areas hard. The perimeters of a rip tide (the outer edges) are also an ideal area to fish from the beach. Be aware of riptides and exercise caution when fishing in these areas. Stay aware of your surroundings and watch for rogue waves as they can easily knock you over.

Here's an example of a rip tide and the areas where I would present my bait:

Once your rig is on the bottom, slowly retreive your bait by pulling and then reeling in 3' - 5' foot increments. This will give your bait a chance to be seen and hit. If there's a strong current, you'll see your bait and line move up or down the beach, the best thing you can do is follow it and keep it in the "strike zone" for as long as possible.

There IS a difference in the wave action on your line and the actual bite of a fish, but once you experience them both you'll soon figure out when you have a strike.

Learn to read the beach and the surf. Take note of landmarks and you'll find "your spot" much easier the next time. I use a GPS to log spots. You can gain some great information by exploring your favorite beach during a very low tide.

Remember that lots of surf fish hold in very shallow water. Ive caught Corbina in as little as 6 inches of water, so its important to "fish" your bait all the way in. "Beans' will even bump into you from time to time!

I usually start out by casting to my extreme right, and then I slowly keep casting in a "fan" pattern until Ive worked the entire area in front of me all the way to my extreme left...... the point being... work the entire area.

If you dont start getting hits after working the area fully.... MOVE and KEEP MOVING and doing the same thing until you start getting bites and hooking fish......

Keep in mind that BSP spawning season is usually January – April. They usually give live birth March – July with young being approx. 2.5 inches in length and average about 30 some fry....

If you hook what appears to be a pregnant female full of babies, I recommend doing your best to keep her in the water while unhooking her. BSP's tend to start dropping babies when stressed and you'll know immediatly when THAT happens!

Best to get them all back in the water asap and give em' a chance at becoming BIG if at all possible.... just my two cents on that issue.

Im working with a couple other FNN / TEAM 57 members and we will be posting a extensive featured surf fishing article on the main page in the near future that will have even more detailed information as well as some great tips from some very talented members.

There's lots more I could add and surely better set ups and methods I could mention, but this should help you with some basics and get ya out there and get ya going......... PM me if you want further information and I look forward to seeing you on the beach!

I vote this is a good STICKY article!

WOW!!

A lot of good detailed info here

Thanks 57

That is the exact information that I applied when Fisherman57 (Dana) took me surf fishing for the very first time. Awesome info. that any surf fisherman, veteran or newbie can use & revisit time & time again. Very comprehensive data Dana... you're the BEST! :thumb: I owe you big time for getting me started the right way! :mrgreen:

That was some major good info there. Thanks Dana!

I've taken to wearing a flyfishing vest in the surf even while fishing spinning tackle. I find it much more convenient than a fanny pack and easier on the lower back. Also, I've been wearing my felt-soled wading boots with my waders, but will begin '08 with the type of booties 57 described - no matter how tight I lace up the boots, they fill up with sand.

wow all this info. is awesome. i will be hitting the surf this weekend for sure. never did it before so i hope i do things right. thanks dana for all the info.

i 2nd that for a sticky for sure.

R3333D

Great read.
    I'm gonna give this a shot VERY soon. Got my camo worms and my morf grubs ready to go :banana:

What a fantastic read! Why even write another article, I say you use the best tool on the computer: copy/paste!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast