Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NATIVE SUN 2 2 08 (ONLY A FEW PICS FOR NOW)

Default NATIVE SUN 2 2 08 (ONLY A FEW PICS FOR NOW)

Hey Guys,

Decided to give the Native Sun a try out of Long Beach Sportfishing on Saturday. Nice BBFC/NBU turnout. Today we had:
    1. Myself
    2. Cappo
    3. Dean Hall
    4. Kevin Kim
    5. Yayo
    6. Erick
    7. The Fish Taco
    8. Jason Lopz Smith aka “Smitty”
    9. Big Robert
    10. Robert’s Friend (sorry man, forgot your name)
    11. G $
    Picked up my friend Yayo in HB, then headed to LBSF. We arrived at about 5 am, some guys already there. We all got our tickets, boarded the boat, and stored our gear. We left a few minutes late today, we had to wait for a couple guys, no worries.
    Left the dock at around 615 am, and headed east to pick up some fin bait. Loaded up on the fin bait, and started our run across to Catalina. Crew today on the Native Sun was Capt Jason, Kim on the deck, and Don in the galley. Jason made his morning safety speech, and let us know the plan today. We were going to fish the front side today, in search of Calico Bass and Bonita. Kim came around with the jackpot list, I did our side $5 jackpot, and Mac Daddy from Kencor was on the boat, so he was selling the raffle tickets for the prizes that he was going to raffle throughout the day, including the grand prize of a Kencor Ocean Graf graphite rod…nice. So we all rigged up our gear, ordered breakfast, and hung out for the ride across to the Island. On the way across, it was pretty bumpy, large swell. Thank god there was no wind on it, we would have gotten our azzes kicked.

Arrived at the Island, and set up on our first spot. Kim started throwing bait, and the bonita started to boil. We started a good pick on the bonita, guys throwing the small jigs like the megabaits were getting bit good. I started out fishing a ¼ oz leadhead hoping for a calico bass. I ended up catching and having to release a nice sheephead, out of season! With the bass not biting for me, I decided to throw a megabait and try for some bonita. Of course, I left my megabaits at home, so I decided to fish the Tady C in mint green. I picked up a bonita, looked back in the kelp line, and saw bass flipping around in the kelp. Had to upgrade my casts to get to the kelp line. I got boiled on a few times, but no hook ups. No worries, its been a long time since I got to throw iron, I was having a great time!! On this spot, Kevin Kim ended up getting a nicer bonita, actually, the largest on the boat that day. He didn’t get in any of the jackpots, he has a superstition about it.

On the second or third spot, I wanted to fish my 2 lb trout rod and try my luck with the perch bite. On the second cast, my squid strip made it all the way to the bottom with no perch bites. Then I got slammed by something! I set the hook, and realized that I had a nicer fish on. Fish started to peel the 2 lb off the reel, and I could feel the kelp rubbing on my line. I played the fish carefully, got it all the way to the boat, except the last few feet, where I finally got to see what I had on, and see the LAST kelp stringer in was wrapped around. It was a NICE sheephead, looking at least 3-4 lbs. I had asked Jason if they could net it, so that I could at least get a pic with the fish I got on 2 lb. He said no prob, and while they were going to get the net, it finally spit the hook. I was on that fish about 10 minutes, and did my best, it was that LAST kelp stringer that got me. At least I got to see what it was. That was fun.

On the last spot of the day, a few of us decided to totally focus on the perch..lol….we had our light gear and wanted to have some fun before we headed home. It was quite funny, there were perch under the boat, but a bird kept spooking them down, and they would pop up in many different areas of the boat. So what we would do is when we saw someone land a perch, we would all rush to whatever spot that person was on, and poach there spot! I guess you had to be there, its all about having fun guys, and that we did.

Throughout the day, mac daddy raffled off many great prizes, and i believe that most of the boyz won something.

Jason announced it was time to head home, we weighed up our side jackpot, which Erick ended up winning on a 2 lb bonita. K3vin Kim would have easily had it. LOL….Ericks 2 lb bonita ended up earing him $40, not bad. Mac Daddy did the grand prize raffle after JP weigh in, and guess who won the rod!! DEAN HALL!!! woo hooo, great job bro!! Thats how we do it on BBFC trips!!!!! The ride home was NICE, and we arrived back at the dock at around 5 pm.

On a side note guys, it has been awhile since I have fished on the Native Sun, and the crew has changed up for the BETTER!!!! Jason does an EXCELLENT job as capt, and gave it 110% trying to get us on fish throughout the day. The deckhand Kim is top notch also. Don in the galley did an excellent job also. The crew change has made that boat 110% better, I would highly recommend fishing the Native Sun. As for now, they are scheduled for Catalina runs on the weekends, but call the landing prior to your trip to make resies and ask the trips destination.

Heres a few pics, one or two guys will add a few more later.

GD

Default Re: NATIVE SUN 2 2 08 (ONLY A FEW PICS FOR NOW)

Way to go guys way to get those bones

Thanks for the write up Steve. It was fun day. Man what a ride out there, swells were big and I donated my breakfast :oops:
    The megabait was my go to bait today. One thing I dont like about chovies is you can never cast them far enough. So I stuck with the megabait all day. Ended with about 7-8 bonies. I totally forgot about our side jackpot, and started giving them away to Big Rob. Thank god it didn't bite me in the end. I didnt get to try out my new (used) Graphtec rod that I got. Oh well next time. I did ended up winning a tshirt and some jigs from Mac Daddy. Thanks.

I only took a few pics.

GD hooked into something big here.

Gmoney's catch of the day

Perch poachin

On the long way home, what else is there to do.

Had a great time fishing with you guys, on a new boat for me.

Great report and pics guys. Looks like fun out there. 8)

yeah so it was fun. I know what you're thinking joe, shoulda woulda coulda... But i wouldn't have landed that Boney if I played JP (no $ sign for k3vin_kim's avatar... that's a BBFC thang). I landed that boner on the slide using a motor oil (green and red) twin tail mojo w/a strip of squid on the slide. Anyways, I got some pictures to add to Steve's thorough report, I especially like the picture of Steve pretending he knows how to tie a mono to spectra using the Albright... did you ever get that knot to work Steve?

I definately needed this trip though, I've been off the water for almost a month. And after all the rain and moist weather I noticed that there's a lot more green on Cat island. It was captivating to even see our beautiful island after months of local and coastal trips.

Till next time,

KK.

thanks for the additions and extra pics guys....
    lol kevin, that albright is a PITA, i tie it right about 80% of the time....the good thing about that knot is that if you DO tie it wrong, it will just slip out.....so you know if you tied it wrong...my prob i keep having with that knot is that i slide the spectra back through the loop wrong.....it was great having you out k3vin....along with everyone else.....thanks guys....till next time....

GD

Nice report again GD and Kevin. LMFAO at the perch picture. Good job on the nice bonito Kevin. Steve, must have sucked to lose that sheepshead in the LAST stringer of kelp, atleast you had a nice fight. BTW, what company 2lb. were you using? :lol:

Also, did anyone keep that octopus? Looks delicious in the picture.

ghetto dad, thanks for the report. Nice Perch.

Looks like you guys had some really sweet bonehead action there. :shock:

Glad you were able to make it to the Island.

Coctele De Pulpo tastes great. I might go get me some right now.

One_Leg

Nice pics. i need to e-mail that pic of my cousin to his wife/friends and the rest of the family =)
    i'm looking forward to fishing next weekend. =)

Yes indeed, next weekend for sure, Jason!

One_Leg

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast