Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another topic on braided line

Default Re: Another topic on braided line

I don't see what everyone's obsession with fluro is the only time it is really needed is when fishing bait. Fishing it with plastics and jigs is just a waste of money in my opinion

Hi bobbyk,

Respect your opinion and experience. I, for one, have made belivers and converts of many, many a rail-buddy that has maybe 10 years of overall fishing experience on me !! Don't know about iron, and don't fish bait but, guys fishing the exact same plastic, same color, same weight, same methodology, right beside me on the boat ..... soon begrudgingly take their licks and all of a sudden (the next week) there they are using fluorocarbon. I've learned to be kind with the razzing , shut-up, and let them tell me it was THEIR idea all along. Stubborn old goats !!

Heck, I even converted this dye-in-the-wool fundementalist (30-year old PENN 500-40lb test line-10ft HD XXX stix-Tady 45) deadhead !!

To be fair, I'll often use 5 or 6 feet of fluoro, where as many will fish leaders that are much shorter. For a two or three foot leader ..... maybe the difference between the effectiveness is less pronounced.

JapanRon

[quote=fuj]
    Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad
    fuj, spectra WILL cut mono FASTER than mono on mono...
    Please explain. What do you mean by "Spectra will cut mono faster than mono on mono..."? If you're claiming that moving Spectra will cut though mono more quickly than moving mono would, you might be correct.

My premise, however, is that moving mono can cut taut, standing Spectra. If you believe that Spectra always cuts mono in every situation, cool. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by "ghetto dad":37ae4
    why do you think that they recommend special guides on rods for fishing the spectra
    What special guides are these? Or rather, what guides are available today that are not Spectra-safe? I'm curious because I haven't seen any guides that state "do not use with Spectra". If you have, I'm sure there are a lot of us here who would like to know.

...and yes, also, mono on mono will also burn fish off....you have one fish on straight up and down with mono, with pressure....you have a guy with another fish on coming up the side with a fish screaming...that spectra will SLICE the mono
    When it happens the other way, let us know what the results are. But I guess you won't find out first hand since you won't be the one fishing with Spectra. 8)[/quote:37ae4]

youre right, well agree to disagree.....

that was the beginning of the end of me and mike...i miss my homie... :(
    GD, I think you and YMIN72 are just on different wavelengths at the present time.
    He is Yakkin' it up along the coast right now, fishing for some kelpstand calicos. 8)
    Ain't that right, Mikey?

One_Leg

P.S. I prefer to use a 6' TO 7' FLOURO LEADER while fishing for the big tuna's, Yellowtails, Blacksmith's, and Pesky Macks. :wink:
    I have never sawed off a single angler while using a 6' flouro leader. :roll:

And GD, and JapanRON are correct about the swivel while tossing the jigs.
    Mint, Blue and white, and Scrambled Egg, are all favorites of mine!

One_Leg

[quote=one_leg]
    Quote Originally Posted by "ghetto dad":cf054
    GD, I think you and YMIN72 are just on different wavelengths at the present time.
    He is Yakkin' it up along the coast right now, fishing for some kelpstand calicos. 8)
    Ain't that right, Mikey?

One_Leg

P.S. I prefer to use a 6' TO 7' FLOURO LEADER while fishing for the big tuna's, Yellowtails, Blacksmith's, and Pesky Macks. :wink:

One_Leg[/quote:cf054]

first of all alan, youve never caught a tuna or a yellowtail...and sand bass fishing does NOT apply to my point.....and you cant even cast a leadhead, let alone an iron

first of all alan, youve never caught a tuna or a yellowtail...and sand bass fishing does NOT apply to my point.....and you cant even cast a leadhead, let alone an iron
    I never said I caught one, all I said was I use them while fishing for them.....LOL

Casting contest next time out!!!!!

I gots to know!

One_Leg

Quote Originally Posted by SanDimasLMB
    Also, the Shimano Butterfly Jigs were not meant to be cast out and simply retreived topwater. If you want a topwater jig that casts far, get a Tady A2. Works well as either a surface, mid-depth, or yo-yo jig. I recommend it in the Dorado/Yellow-Green color.
    i recommend for surface irons either a tady c or 45 in mint green, or a 544 in the same color. Dorado pattern is also good, but ive had my MOST luck with the mint green. Yo Yo jigs, as the A2, are made for yo-you fishing (dropping down deep, and winding in AS FAST YOU CAN), they do not swim very good for surface.

The A2 actually is pretty good for surface, not my first choice but still good. Casts way farther than a regular surface iron. The A2 isn't too heavy at 4oz. compared to 8oz. yo-yo jigs so you can swim it in many parts of the water column, so its very versatile.

Like you mentioned though, the go-to surface iron is a Tady C definetly, if you're only going to fish surface/upper water column exclusively.

[quote=ghetto dad][quote="one_leg":56c69]
    Quote Originally Posted by "ghetto dad":56c69
    Ain't that right, Mikey?

One_Leg

One_Leg[/quote:56c69]

first of all alan, youve never caught a tuna or a yellowtail...and sand bass fishing does NOT apply to my point.....and you cant even cast a leadhead, let alone an iron[/quote:56c69]
    OUCH!
    Ya ever notice how tempers get shorter when we dont have big fishys swimming in our local waters.
    Ive been reading more post all the time that anglers are saying there catch ratio has not improved after switching to flouro from mono.
    Im looking forward to trying out my new spectra for bottom fishing.(Halibut/WSB/Ling) Bottom fshing with 40# mono was like having a 200 yrd rubber band hooked to my lure.(Couldnt feel nothing)

Quote Originally Posted by one_leg
    Quote Originally Posted by ymin72
    In regards to the topic, I've tried using straight spectra with simialr success but at a definate disadvantage of loosing jigs due to bad cast / birdsnest.

I prefer to have long enough mono so the knot between spectra and mono doesnt have to go through the guides everytime I cast out. Spectra is only used as a backing and I replace 100yds of mono every so often.

Like this one you got Mike?

O_L
    Hmmm..... Is that a FNN super top secret trick of how to keep your reel from getting spooled :lol:

[quote=fuj]One of the problems with going to braided line/Spectra is that there is no "one size fits all" solution. Sometimes it's the right way, sometimes it isn't. But you never know; what was once considered a taboo way to fish may become well accepted. Spectra itself was in that category when folks first used it for big tuna fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Rod
    Thanks for the imfo guys.
    Guess I had a typo error on the topwater butterfly jig :oops:
    Watched a offshore fishing TV program where they were testing shimano reels, and the butterfly jigs.
    What they said were,The butterfly jig should be cast out, Let drop, with the option of twitching the rod tip as the jig sinks.(flutters down)
    On the retrieve, They were nonstop twitching the rod tip as they were reeling the jig back in.(acts like a injured baitfish)
    As soon as the jig is vertical under the boat. Reel in,Then cast out again.
    The Butterfly system was designed initially as a vertical jigging system. It's still a new way to fish, so most folks probably do the vertical thing with it. But casting and retrieving of a Butterfly jig may turn out to be another effective way to use it. Some guys on my 6-day last August did this and were successful in hooking and landing Yellowtail up to 40#.

Quote Originally Posted by "Broken Rod":1391f
    So I will run the Getto Dad setup on the Saltist 40, 40# setup. 65#spectra, swivel,3' leader with 40# Mono
    The Saltist 30, Will stay with all 30# mono. Till the saltist 30 gets spooled one day.Then go with the 50#spectra, 100 yrd 30# mono topshot thing.
    Under most circumstances, I'd keep a fair amount of mono on top of the Spectra. The times I'd go short would be for bottom fishing, fishing in the kelp, long-soak live bait presentations with heavier line, non-combat fishing (i. e., where the potential for tangles is smaller than normal.), to name a few. Sometimes, though, you can't separate the two (combat kelp fishing, f'rinstance), so you'll have to take a chance one way or the other to find out which is best for you.

I don't agree that Spectra cuts mono. Moving line cuts standing line, regardless of whether it's Spectra or mono. People get "sawed off" because the sawer doesn't follow his fish and his moving line runs over other taut lines that aren't moving or moving as fast as his is. Sometimes this is unavoidable. That's fishing. But do your best to avoid it and there'll be a lot less distress about sawing off someone or getting sawed off by someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Rod
    Usually keep the scrambled egg or Blue/wht Tady 45 on that rig
    I've always wondered why guys like mint green surface iron so much. I'd put myself in that group too, but I thought about it and concluded I like using mint or mint/white surface iron because it's easy to see. All good surface iron slingers know that no matter what color jig you're using, it has to swim right in order to get bit. With a mint green jig, I can see my retrieve much better and sooner than some other colors and know if I'm getting the jig to swim correctly.[/quote:1391f] Thanks fuj,
    Ive pretty much done the vertical jig thing too.
    From what ive read. Tuna and yellowtail are very boat shy.So working some jigs 50' or more from the boat may become very productive.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast