Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another topic on braided line

Default Another topic on braided line

Just got a spool of 500yrds of 65# power pro for my Saltist 40/Calstar 700H 30/80lb
    May run a 3ft 40# mono leader/swivel with that setup.
    Rumer has it that a swivel kills lure action.?
    Maybe that doesnt matter much on Bottom YoYo jigging?
    Will be jigging with Tady 4/0, 45s, 15s, And plan on trying the new Shimano butterfly jigs also
    So what do you think?
    Straight Spectra?
    Short leader/long leader?

My 30# setup Saltist 30/Calstar 700M 20/50 lb
    Think im keeping the 30# mono. 50# power pro is tempting though
    Throwing Tady 45s with that, and throwing the butterflys top water and mid water depts.
    Will also bounce squid/plastic leadheads along the bottom with the 30# setup.
    Do you think spectra would be a better choice then the mono for this type of fishing?

Default Re: Another topic on braided line

What you want is a fluorocarbon leader. You have two options.

Option 1:

Take your braid and connect it directly to your leader using either a Midknot or a FG knot.

Option 2:

Take braid and make a Bimini Twist. Take the loop of the Bimini Twist and cut the loop so that you have two even in length pieces of line. Take said two pieces of line and double together and twist three to four times. Then take the twisted doubled line and make a light overhand knot at the end. Then take doubled line and tie an Albright with preferred length of leader.

Also, the Shimano Butterfly Jigs were not meant to be cast out and simply retreived topwater. If you want a topwater jig that casts far, get a Tady A2. Works well as either a surface, mid-depth, or yo-yo jig. I recommend it in the Dorado/Yellow-Green color.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDimasLMB
    What you want is a fluorocarbon leader.
    For throwing irons!?!?!?!?!?!? You must be kidding.

Here's an excerpt from an awesome article. read the whole article here: http://www.georgepoveromo.com/topshotadvantage.htm

"In some cases, a braid/top-shot combination is sought for its limited stretch. For example, an increasing number of anglers who seek big fish in depths ranging from 80 to 300 feet are spooling their reels with mostly super-braid line, followed by a relatively short mono or fluorocarbon top shot ranging from 20 to 80 feet.

The limited stretch and greater sensitivity of the braid telegraphs bites and allows the angler to set the hook better in deep water than a pure-mono setup. Furthermore, the small diameter of the braid cuts through the water with far less resistance, enabling the bait or lure to reach bottom with less weight. Meanwhile, the short mono or fluorocarbon top shot is less visible to fish, and offers better chafe protection."

In regards to connecting braid to mono, from same article here is excerpt:

"Joining super braid to a mono top shot is often accomplished with double uni-knots or a cat’s paw. The latter is a more streamlined connection achieved by overlapping two Bimini loops (one in the braid and one in the mono) and passing the spool of mono through both loops four times. When pulled tight, it forms a compact connection. "

I use braid with about 40-80 yards of mono on all my tuna sticks and love it. Good luck and tight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by ymin72
    What you want is a fluorocarbon leader.
    For throwing irons!?!?!?!?!?!? You must be kidding.

For the Butterfly Jigs. The stiffer fluorocarbon gives the jig better action.

For the Butterfly Jigs. The stiffer fluorocarbon gives the jig better action.
    I doubt a short 3-6' of mono or FC leader has much if any differences.
    To each their own.

In regards to the topic, I've tried using straight spectra with simialr success but at a definate disadvantage of loosing jigs due to bad cast / birdsnest.

I prefer to have long enough mono so the knot between spectra and mono doesnt have to go through the guides everytime I cast out. Spectra is only used as a backing and I replace 100yds of mono every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Rod
    Just got a spool of 500yrds of 65# power pro for my Saltist 40/Calstar 700H 30/80lb
    May run a 3ft 40# mono leader/swivel with that setup.
    Rumer has it that a swivel kills lure action.?
    Maybe that doesnt matter much on Bottom YoYo jigging?
    Will be jigging with Tady 4/0, 45s, 15s, And plan on trying the new Shimano butterfly jigs also
    So what do you think?
    Straight Spectra?
    Short leader/long leader?

My 30# setup Saltist 30/Calstar 700M 20/50 lb
    Think im keeping the 30# mono. 50# power pro is tempting though
    Throwing Tady 45s with that, and throwing the butterflys top water and mid water depts.
    Will also bounce squid/plastic leadheads along the bottom with the 30# setup.
    Do you think spectra would be a better choice then the mono for this type of fishing?
    First of all, if you are jigging for rockfish, use a rockfish lure, like a jax jig. You want to use a short mono leader, WITH a swivel. The swivel will keep youre fish from spinning off, and also give you a breakoff point. Tady 45's are surface jigs. DO NOT USE A SWIVEL WHEN SURFACE IRON FISHING, IT DOES AFFECT YOUR JIG ACTION. The butterfly jigs werent made to throw "top water", if im understanding you correctly. They were made to acutally "jig" them, and most of the bites come on the drop on those. For throwing surface iron, imo, you want a longer topshot of mono, at least as far as you can cast, plus about 50 feet. You want a little stretch, otherwise when youre fishing the iron, especially with a fast reel, the no-stretch + the speed of the reel might just rip through the fishes mouth. ON A PARTY BOAT, SURFACE TRIPS, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AT LEAST 100 YARDS OR MORE OF TOPSHOT OVER YOUR SPECTRA. IN A HOT BITE, YOU WILL SAW OFF ANYONE YOU COME IN CONTACT THAT HAS MONO, IVE SEEN A GUY SAW OFF A DOZEN PEOPLE ON AN ALBACORE BITE. people werent too happy.

GD

Also, the Shimano Butterfly Jigs were not meant to be cast out and simply retreived topwater. If you want a topwater jig that casts far, get a Tady A2. Works well as either a surface, mid-depth, or yo-yo jig. I recommend it in the Dorado/Yellow-Green color.
    i recommend for surface irons either a tady c or 45 in mint green, or a 544 in the same color. Dorado pattern is also good, but ive had my MOST luck with the mint green. Yo Yo jigs, as the A2, are made for yo-you fishing (dropping down deep, and winding in AS FAST YOU CAN), they do not swim very good for surface.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast