Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Dummy

Default Big Dummy

Ok I'm a big dummy. I've got a '06 Bayliner with a 3.0 Mercruiser. I keep the boat covered and store it outside. Went to check on it this evening to find
    the canvas cover in the boat instead of over it. Water had pooled up behind the steering wheel area and stretched the canvas cover. Lots of water in the boat. To make matters worse, I hadn't removed the drain plug. Long story short, the boat was full of water including the engine area. I would say that the lower third of the engine was under water. Any of you gearheads know how bad I might be screwed?
    thanks, Sandman

Default Re: Big Dummy

Sandman chill out!
    As long as the engine was not running you should be all set and good to go once you drain the water.
    Just check your oil and maybe give the electrical connections a shot of silicone spray.

Thats another reason I keep my plugs out of the boat till I'm ready to launch.

CR

Same thing happened to my neighbor's 07 Chaparral deck boat. I went to check on mine and on the way out drove by his. His cover is ruined from the stretching and it looks like it may have bent the windshield before the cover gave in.

The first thing I did was check to make sure he took the plug out, which he did.

Make sure there is no place for the water to start pooling on top of the cover. You may need to make a trip to Lowes to build something simple to prop up any low spots under your cover.

If you run by Kmart (at least the one in Santa Clarita has them) they make some plastic round posts that you can vary the size. You adjust the height by putting in or removing sections of the post. They are made to put underneath a boat cover to keep it propped up so the rain drains off the sides and doesn't collect. Don't remember the price, but they should be right next to the boat covers.

Isaac

Another reason why I'm glad I don't need a cover for the Shammy. PITA, putting em on and taking em off.

Hose and go.

CR

Sandman,
    Had the same situation about 10 years ago. I live in the desert, had my 19ftr. parked in my driveway....along came a thunderstorm it was a real gullywasher. Went out to check my boat.........& #46;.IT WAZ full of water up to the seats. Always pulled the plug after using it. (had my plug hooked to a line so if it came out I wouldn't loose it) Seems like my young kids then decided to put the plug in while fiddling around in my driveway. I thought S**t house-mouse my engine is ruined. Drained my boat checked the oil for water (none), took it to the lake the next week-end.........&# 46;.IT RAN JUST FINE! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Bingo.

CR

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman
    Ok I'm a big dummy. I've got a '06 Bayliner with a 3.0 Mercruiser. I keep the boat covered and store it outside. Went to check on it this evening to find
    the canvas cover in the boat instead of over it. Water had pooled up behind the steering wheel area and stretched the canvas cover. Lots of water in the boat. To make matters worse, I hadn't removed the drain plug. Long story short, the boat was full of water including the engine area. I would say that the lower third of the engine was under water. Any of you gearheads know how bad I might be screwed?
    thanks, Sandman
    hope your engine runs fine...no water in oil no problem.....Thats Why i prefer outboards..... :mrgreen:

Ima gonna leava thata outboarda comment all alonio

CR

p.s.
    Inboards Rock!

thanks for the replies, i was in a bit of a panic last night. As I was walking up to the boat I noticed that the tires looked flat and i thought WTF? Then I realize that the weight of the water in the boat was causing that. Didn't get a chance to investigate a whole lot last night because it was dark and I was getting rained on. Looks like no water in oil. Didn't try to start it up though. I just hope we get a few days without rain so it can air out and doesn't smell like a bag of a$$holes in a week. It was a sight though, water from bow to stern up to the seats in the rear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast